Hug It Out - Pt.3/4

3. Fancy a coffee?

You didn't even make it to the café and you were already glad you didn't chase Steve away; the few minutes with him convinced you he was a nice guy.

And the longer he kept you company, the more you sure you were.

He paid for the coffee despite you inviting him. He found you a seat in the back, pulling out a chair for you, effectively stopping your heart. He let you ramble about your love – read psychology – with a gentle smile, only interjecting here and there.

You soon understood he was an old fashioned guy in more than one sense. Apart from the aura of a gentlemen, he liked old-school music, was a bit into art (sheepishly admitting he sometimes draw too), complained about too much technology used these days and had a bit judgemental look when a pair of teenagers climbed each other like trees right in the café. It was hilarious and refreshing – you didn't meet many people like that these days.

What more, despite being an old soul, he showed no several sign of toxic masculinity. He was not thinking female were less human being, meant to stay at home and raise kids, fulfilling their role only that way; that was the conclusion you had come to when he clearly been happy about your fascination in your field and future work.

On top of that, he was funny. He seemed to have an endless stash of stories of his friends playing prank wars and... an infinite stash of compliments; subtle and shy, but compliments nevertheless. Also, you weren't wrong – he told you he worked in security, though his gaze fell onto the table for the first time, not looking into your eyes and while you didn't think he lied, you had a feeling it was not a full story. You didn't push.

An hour in – or was is two? Three? – you realized you were crushing. Hard. And probably wore a stupid schoolgirl smile, but honestly you didn't even care anymore.

Your staring at him while he talked about Johny Cash's music was interrupted by a ringtone – his, not yours. He stopped in the middle of a sentence with an apologetic smile and pulled out his phone. His relaxed features were immediately ruined by a frown.

"Oh, I'm sorry... I really need to take this. Hey Natasha-"

You just nodded in understanding when he accepted the call. You guessed work; whoever exactly Natasha was and whatever she was saying, it made him sigh.

"Okay. You pick me up? I'm in a café— ... of course you know that... that's a rather long story... I'm... having a coffee? ... Why would you ask that? Can't a guy get a coffee alone?" Blood flushed into his cheeks and you bit your lip, looking away with a grin. You weren't bothered by the lie – he was so flustered you couldn't but actually find it hilarious. "Natasha, please, just- I'll see you outside in five, alright?"

"Try again, big boy."

You yelped silently, jumping in your seat as a gorgeous redhead appeared behind his shoulder, making his snap his head her direction.

"Hey, Rogers," she greeted him with a shark-like smile, amused by his shock.

"Romanov! What-"

She didn't pay him any attention though; her gaze shifted to you, searching and calculating. It made you shiver and at that, the woman's featured softened a bit, a glimmer of mischief on her face.

"So that's what you're doing when telling us you're going for a run? Having coffee dates?"

Despite the nosy question, the corners of your lips twitched – she was clearly teasing him and judging by their body language, they were nothing but friends, which... shouldn't make you feel at ease again, because you had no right to be jealous or whatever, what the hell, but... it kinda did.