Walpurgis Night (Fairy Tale AU)

For the once wandering eye of the former King Howard of Starkerbürg, the kingdom suffered a terrible loss.

As winter blossoms into spring, the night of Walpurgis arrives and another man is chosen to bring the long-lost princess, sister to King Anthony, home. No one has ever succeeded in the task; another spring equals another life lost.

Steven was not meant to be selected; he volunteered, taking another man's place. It is up to him to set foot into the woods where myths come to life and men of the kingdom meet their death. 

P.S. - It'snot a habit of mine to inset links for music, but if anyone wishes to listen tothe song responsible for this fic, it's in the comments. The music video is lovely.

Happy reading! 

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・

Walpurgis Night

"May the Gods lead your sword and bring you home safe, my brave lord," the Queen pronounced as she placed a cowslip to his collar and beckoned to him to stand up.

If Steven's heart wasn't beating its way out of his chest with a barely contained restlessness, he would have chuckled bitterly. 'Lord.' As if he was anything but a peasant, as if his life had any value to the King or the Queen; and yet, Queen Virginia's gaze rested upon him and observed him with sorrow; as if he mattered to her.

As if she regretted her husband's madness, one he had inherited from his father.

King Howard, passing away last winter, had never bothered hiding his wandering eye. Queen Maria, his beloved wife, had graciously tolerated her husband's predilection for other women, seeing as he never acted upon it. Many ladies of the court had found themselves blessed when the King decided to spent an evening in their company; although never left alone with his highness, never granted even a gleam of hope of being taken as a lover, they cherished their moments with him and held no grudges.

However, an exception to the rule had always solidified its validity.

One of the King's chosen companions had fallen for him, refusing offers of marriage which had been not scarce as she had foolish faith in king's short-lived attraction. She – and her name could never be spoken in the land of Starks ever again, one of the most serious offences punished by death – deluded herself into believing he would leave the Queen, blind to the deep affection shared between her sovereigns. Oblivious until the second royal child was born.

The Princess, barely days old, went missing overnight, the very night of Walpurgis, when the powers of evil were believed to be most potent. With the ringing of tower bells, the King's Guard saw to find the heiress to the crown.

Before the night was over, all they discovered was a laughing woman, having gone mad with heartbreak.

"You took everything from me," she spluttered, spitting on king's shoes as she had been forced to her knees, hands restrained; eyes teary and yet smiling. "Now you shall know how that feels."

The woman had laughed and laughed as she burned at the stake, crying tears of joy at king's torment. She had carried away the baby to the woods; left it for the malicious intentions of fauns, elves, dryads, nymphs, hulders and witches, all the evil spirits from myths much truer than prophesies read from the stars.

The Princess was lost ever since.

Steven had only learned this history from his mother's narrative (Gods may grant her peace in afterlife) and from rumours spreading all over the Stark's lands.