The Best Mistake of My Life - Pt. 2/7

2. What a gentleman

The diner had quite an atmosphere and on any other occasion, you would have been fascinated, easily being pulled decades back in time. Today however, your attention wasn't on the decor too much. You had very different things on your mind; like a certain man with a built of a Hercules and a spine-melting smile – if a little nervous one.

"Is this place alright?" his soft voice snapped you from the space of your own head.

You gave a tiny nod, letting him lead you farther in. He picked a table in the back, away from the giant windows to the street; you were glad for that despite the nice weather.

You would have stayed outside to begin with, but Steve had asked whether you had been hungry and to your enormous embarrassment, your stomach had replied. To his credit, he hadn't laughed, only frowning a bit while he had clearly been biting back a smile; what a gentleman.

Your waitress appeared quickly, leaving with your order written down just as fast, and you found yourself alone... with your soulmate. Your 95-year-old soulmate. How crazy was that?

You had no idea what you say, finding him silently watching you; either he was unable to form words as well or he was waiting for you to gather your thoughts and wanted to let you speak first. Once again – what a gentleman.

You cleared your throat awkwardly. "So... uhm. You're... you're really 95."

God bless him, he only grimaced a little, not commenting on the stupidity of your statement. As far as communication with him went, you were being excellent.

'Oh no, there must be a mistake,' calling him mister instead of captain (then again, you hadn't asked if he was one just yet), your stomach answering his questions and now this. Where did your ability to talk go? On vacation?

"Uhm... yeah. I know this is hard to believe, but... yeah," he conceded, fidgeting. "I can explain! Also, sorry for being stuck with such words."

Well, speaking of being stuck with words...

"Well, Mr.Rogers-"

"Steve, please."

He had told you that before. Except yeah, it somehow stuck you all over again, that his was most likely the man who was remembered for saving many, many lives. You wondered if you should be kissing his boots or the pavement he walked on or something. So, yeah, calling him Steve seemed like a bit of a disrespect. If he was who you thought he was, of course.

"Feels inappropriate. Even the 'mister' does," you explained, testing the waters. You believed Ryan was right, but still...

"What would feel appropriate?" he asked, nervously fiddling with his fingers at the edge of the table.

Huh. Alright. Maybe you and Ryan were wrong and he was just a guy? A really, really attractive and nice guy? But why else the whole 'I'm 95' thing then? He said he could explain...

"Captain?" you whispered, immediately the tension in his shoulders growing even more intensely. Yeah, busted. You were sure now. Captain America was in a diner with you. Because he was your soulmate.

Oh shit.

"Guess I don't have to explain then..." he murmured, a worried wrinkle forming between his brows.

Before you could comment and tell him that you definitely needed him to explain, because what the hell, you hadn't exactly done your homework, how was the first American hero alive, just HOW?!, he continued.

"Look, I... I spent a good part of my life believing my... soulmate... you, would consider me a mistake," he sighed, "and-"

"Oh god, I'm so sorry!" you blurted out, instantly feeling even worse for the words you had told him. He had lived with the belief that his destined partner would resent him. Great job, me!