Nothing but the Truth - Pt.1/8

Fake dating AU.

As you were introduced to one Steve Rogers by your friend Sam a while ago, it wasn't an unusual occurrence for the three of you to get lunch together. Hell, not even for you and Steve only.

Except that the one time you decided to go out for lunch instead of sticking to the Tower cafeteria, reporters took a photo and accused you and the Captain of dating.

What shocked you much more though was that Tony and Natasha wanted you two to just go with it in order to catch a criminal. Oh boy. This would have been much more acceptable if you didn't have a crush on that man which was a size of the US...

-.-.-

1. The Photo Evidence 

"So..." Tony crossed his arms on his chest, raising a challenging eyebrow, making you sink into your seat. He stood next to the hologram, staring you and Steve down with a glare so intense you thought he might have got possessed by a demon or something, because since when was Tony Stark able to look like a disappointed parent? That was Steve's domain as far as you had been informed! "Either of you have anything to say for yourself?"

You gulped, averting your practically-boss' gaze and pressed your lips into a thin line as your fingers fumbled with the hem of your blouse.

"So? Just so you know, the press is loving this. They have a freaking field day," Natasha added, crossing her arms as well and you truly felt like you were five and were being hauled over the coals, your father and now your mum giving you a hard time over a broken vase or something.

You eyed Steve, who shifted in his seat, his eyes fixed on the photograph. He didn't utter a word and you bit your lower lip, wondering what was on his mind.

You would love to say that you had no idea how this happened.

Except you had every idea.

-.-.-

Meeting Steve in the lobby just outside the cafeteria, you couldn't help but smile up at him and he returned the favour, a crinkle of green in his blue eyes.

There had been a time you had been intimidated by him – it had taken you several encounters to lose the stiffness in your shoulders, the barely audible tremble in your voice (that was when you actually found the courage to speak) – but now, seeing him almost every day, welcoming him with the corners of your lips upright felt like a second nature.

After all, he was one charming bastard. And what worse, he was a gentlemanly, honest and witty bastard, who was one of Sam's closest friends, if not the best one; replacing you, which... okay, you could be Sam's best female friend, you were alright with that.

You and Sam went a way back; you had been the first person to welcome him at the VA centre and as he was yet another charming bastard, even at that time, you instantly hit it off, mostly because of him; it was near to impossible not to seek his company, he was like... like some sort of a life-charger.

If you were being honest, there was a time when you thought you might even become more than friends, because who were you kidding, that man was ridiculously attractive, but when you met... he was still healing from losing his wingman and a relationship was the last thing on his mind. And later... you were too deep into your friendship, friend-zoned for eternity and too comfortable with each other, you guessed. You were alright with that and you wouldn't trade his friendship for the world.

And then the world turned crazy, Sam had a literal run-in with Captain America, became at first a part-time and then a full-time Avenger and practically dragged you to the Avengers Tower to apply for a job in administrative. You had been hired on spot despite still being employed at the VA. But seeing as it was the only way of keeping Sam and your lunches together and as you weren't too opposed to a change of scenery...