(V2) Chapter 2

Michael winced, turning away as his brother slightly shoved him past over the doorway.
     His father silently scolded Sammy, forcefully leading him out of the way.
     Elizabeth's hand tightened in his, and she pulled him out of range of the teenager, relieving him.
     His eyes slowly adjusted from the bright sunlight outside to the dim glow of the closed pizzeria. Tables were empty and chairs were placed neatly in position since the night before. The robots on the stage stared blankly the returning visitors and they were left off posed awkwardly. Their jaws were open and showed glints of rigid metal parts. The main overhead lights had been turned off, so the atmosphere seemed oddly chilly. Nonetheless, Michael still brightened as he saw a familiar face across the room near some recently added arcades by the right door.
     Cassidy waved to him, smiling wide.  Another girl stood next to her, fiddling with a joystick as a blue arcade game flashed warm colors. Her body was completely shadowed from the light.
     Glad they were here for the first time in two weeks, Michael ran towards them through the maze of tables, Elizabeth following but her grip loosening.
     Posters blew past them, their colors slowly losing color from since the opening day. Light but unremovable stains bore on the tables. The wooden floor held marks of a table that fell over from a hoard of birthday children two days ago. The familiar, fresh bleach smell wasn't too obvious for that morning.
     "Where were you guys?" Michael huffed, halting next to the hidden girl.
     Noticing the new company, the girl leaned down to the bottom of the arcade and cleanly flipped a switch, shutting it off. Her short brown hair shifted from her face as she stood up again. She blinked for a moment, her brown eyes focusing through the dimness. Her pale skin contrasted against the dark walls and machines. She seemed about Michael's height, and she had a shy demeanor. She wore dark shirt and shorts, but it was hard to tell what color they were.
     "Hi, Charlie," Michael welcomed quickly.
     Charlie nearly spoke before Cassidy interrupted. "Daddy works at a store, too." She bumped Charlie over playfully. "He doesn't get as much money as Uncle Will does, so he has to work somewhere else."
     "Dad also doesn't bring us here a lot," Charlie simply added, with no hint of irritation at her sibling.
     "At least we can play now," Elizabeth replied joyfully. Her blond hair flowed down her pink shirt and brown shorts, and she lacked her usual red bow.

// Chapter ended here with my lack of motivation.