Chapter 2: Harry Potter

"Harry, you ready?" I heard Ginny call. "Coming!" I yelled down the stairs. The Weasleys had invited Hermione and I to the Quidditch World Cup. I ran down the rickety stairs as Ginny called again. "Harry, we're going to be late!" "I'm here." I said, coming into the kitchen, where Ginny, Ron, and Hermione were standing, waiting. "Ok, finally, let's go." Ron said impatiently. I sighed in amusement, gathering my things.

We were planning on taking a Portkey to the World Cup, which the Ministry had already set up for us. With out things packed, we ran outside, into the Weasley's yard, where a small, deflated basketball lay.

"Is this one of those Muggle sports balls?" Ron muttered. "It's called a basketball. It's usually about the size of a Quaffle. You're supposed to shoot it in the basket...." Hermione launched into a rant while Ron tried to look mildly interested; He was failing miserably. I caught Ginny's eye, smiling.

As we gathered around the ball, Ginny checked her watch. "One minute left," she said, putting her hand to the ball. We all did likewise. Pretty soon, the deflated ball started glowing with a blue light. I felt a tugging sensation in my gut as we were lifted off the ground. A second later, we stood in a room. We looked around, taking in the unfamiliar sight. "I'm not an expert with the World Cup, but I'm pretty sure you can't play Quidditch here." I muttered. We were in a large room full of books, like a small, private library. The stained glass windows ran from floor to ceiling, the murals showing pictures of angels; The one in the middle was rising out of a lake, holding a chalice-like cup in one hand and a sword in the other.

Hermione was already looking around. "This place is amazing!" She called, staring at the shelves upon shelves of books. Ginny and Ron ran to the window, hoping for some clues as to where we were. "Harry, Hermione, come check this out!" Ron called. We ran to where they were looking..

The window looked out to busy, urban street. Pedestrians went about their day while the cars sped by, honking. "I don't think we're in Scotland, anymore." I said, taking in the sight. "Actually, you're in New York." A new voice said from behind us. We spun around. My hand groped for my wand, but Ginny subtly shook her head. In the doorway was a girl who looked to be about sixteen years of age. She had flaming red hair, like the Weasleys, and bright green eyes. She looked friendly enough, except for the fact that she was brandishing a sort of dagger. The handle looked regular enough, looking like leather. The unordinary thing about the dagger was its blade, which was pulsing a blue light. "Who are you guys?" The girl asked, slowly walking towards us. Behind her, three more people appeared; Two guys and a girl.

One of the guys had blonde hair, which I was almost certain wasn't dyed. He was holding a dagger similar to the red-headed girl's. The other two people looked similar, like brother and sister. They also had weapons on them. The boy had an arrow nocked, ready to fire, while to the girl was holding a snake-like whip.

"Ginny, who's your cousin?" I muttered. She shot me a glance. "Who are you?" The first girl asked for the third time. We looked at each other uneasily. We shouldn't whip out magic, even if these Muggles we're trying to kill us. "I'm Harry," I started. "This is Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. We're from Scotland." Hermione shot me a look, warning my not to give away too much. 

"Are you with Valentine?"

"Where are we?"

"How did you get here?"

"Who are you people?"

Questions fired around the room all at once. "Everyone, stop!" The red haired girl yelled. The questions ceased. The girl took a deep breath. "Are you with Valentine?" She asked carefully. We all instinctively looked at Hermione. She shrugged. "Who's Valentine?" Ron asked. An arrow fired, burying itself in the wood behind Ron; The arrow had nicked his ear. "Bloody—" "that was a warning shot." The guys with the bow said, another arrow already in place. "Everyone to ever set foot here knows woo Valentine is." He stopped, shooting a pointed look at the first girl, then continued. "Now how did you get in, or this next one goes through someone's chest."

"We Portkeyed here." I said. Beside me, Ginny elbowed my gut, glaring. The other four people looked at each other. "You mean you Portaled here?" The blonde guy asked, pointing to the swirling blue haze. We took a look at it. "No, we came by this." Ginny said, picking up the basketball. "To make things simpler, it—what did you call it? It 'Portaled' us here." She said. 

"Our turn." I said, drawing their attention. "Where are we? Who is this Valentine?"

"You're at the New York Institute," the second girl replied, keeping her whip at the ready. "Valentine's my father," the first girl added. "He's an advocate against Downworlders, and his life is pledged to ridding the world of them. After the Circle fell apart, he's been obsessed with finding the Mortal Instruments—" The blonde guy cut her off with a warning glare.

"Okay, slow down." Ron said. "W-Who are you guys?"

"My name is Clary Fra—Fairchild." The red haired girl corrected herself. "That's Isabelle and Alec," she stopped, pointing to the two siblings. Alec lowered his bow, waving. "And this is Jace." Clary finished, nodding to the blonde guy. "We're Shadowhunters; Demon hunters."