Chapter 6: Tris Prior

"We're almost there!" I called. Tobias looked up, staring out the window. I went to the next compartment. Katniss and Peeta were sitting together, conversing in hushed tones. "Okay, we're almost here. You guys need to get up now or you'll end up somewhere near the Erudite headquarters." I told them. Katniss looked at me. "We want answers." She said plainly. I sighed in frustration. "Look, once we get into Dauntless, we'll tell you everything you need to know to survive this place, okay?" 

"Fine," she sighed. I walked them over to the window and showed them where we'd be getting off. "The train doesn't seem t be slowling down!" Peeta called. "It's not going to, we jump." Tobias answered beside us. I saw Katniss and Peeta exchange glances. "You want us to jump off a moving train?" Peeta asked skeptically. "Are you people out of your mind?" "No, we're Dauntless." Tobias said evenly. I rolled my eyes. "Just be brave. The first time's always the hardest." I told Peeta. He smiled, taking Katniss's hand in his own.

"Get ready," I called, watching as the train neared the rooftops of what used to be the Dauntless headquarters. As the train passed by, I hurled myself out the side. I instinctively, tucked, rolling along the ground. I felt pebbles scatter under my feet. I heard a grunt beside me, followed by two loud thumps. Getting to my feet, I saw Katniss and Peeta, both trying to stand up.

"Here," I said, extending my hand. I pulled Katniss to her feet as Peeta got up unsteadily. "Was that so bad?" I smiled. Katniss grinned, shaking her head. "Okay, now, over here!" Tobias called. We ran to meet him. He was standing beside the gaping hole in the roof. Katniss looked over, seeing nothing but an abyss. "Okay, so, now what?" She asked.

"We jump," Tobias clipped. Without warning, he vaulted over the ledge, dropping into the darkness below us. Peeta and Katniss stared in shock at the place where'd he been just moments before.

"So, you think it's safe?" I heard Peeta asked. "Well, I didn't hear him go splat, so let's go." Katniss answered smoothly. "Here," I said, taking her hand and helping her onto the ledge. She wobbled a bit, balancing precariously on her toes. "S-So I just... I just jump?" She asked, looking down. I nodded. Katniss took a deep breath and let herself fall. After a few moments, I heard her body hit the net, followed by voices as Tobias helped her down.

I gestured for Peeta. He eyed the ledge nervously, as though it might bite. I grinned. "It's fine. Tobias wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe." I reassured him. "Or, you people are just crazy." He muttered. I gave a light laugh. "Come on. I'm pretty sure this isn't the craziest thing you've ever done." He smiled. "Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is."

"That's can't be true. Come on, what other crazy thing have you done?"

"Well, there was this one time I tried to strangle Katniss."

"Okaaaaaaay..." I trailed off. "Well, this won't be that bad. It'll be over in seconds."

Peeta looked at me, unsure. "Is there something down there to catch me?" He asked. I gave him a mysterious smile. "Well I guess you'll just have to find out."

He sighed, getting onto the ledge. With a deep breath, I jumped, falling, falling, falling. I craned my neck to hear, listening for the sound of a body hitting mesh. From the darkness, there was a loud grunt, and voices. I smiled, backing up; It was more fun with a running start. I waited for a moment or two before running. I vaulted the ledge, just as Tobias had, and suddenly, I was suspended in mid-air. It only lasted for about a second before I was falling.

It was exhilarating. The air around me whistled past my ear as oxygen was sucked from my lungs. Butterflies whirled and danced in my stomach and I let out a small, delirious laugh. My hair flew behind me, free from its ponytail. I felt like an angel, plummeting from the sky above, descending to earth.

It was over all too soon. My body hit the woven mesh, the net swaying upon impact. I giggled like a school girl, then recovered myself. Tobias stood my the other side of the net, pushing it down so I rolled toward him. He caught me, helping me down. "Do you remember?" He asked me. I smiled, nodding. I gave him a quick kiss, hugging him. 

Peeta coughed. "Hey, um, you guys done?" He asked sheepishly. I saw Katniss elbow him, and we broke apart. "Yeah. Let's go." I said breathlessly, leading the way. 

We walked out of the initiate entrance and into a big cavern. "This is the Pit." I called, trying to be heard over the rushing water below. I led the way, the others following me around the Pit. Behind us, I heard Tobias stomach growling. "You play?" I called over my shoulder. "Yeah," he responded. "Just haven't had any cake in a while." I rolled my eyes, about to retort, when Peeta spoke up. "Umm, I'm a baker." He said. Tobias was in his face in seconds. "You bake?" He asked. Peeta nodded nervously. "Tobias, lay off him." I called, but they were already making a beeline for the kitchen. Katniss tried to run after them, but I stopped her.

"I believe I owe you some answers?" I asked. She sighed. "Yes, I suppose you do." "What do you want to know?" I asked, leading her to a bench. "Tell me about the dis—the factions. What are they? What happened to your society?" She asked as she sat down. I took a deep breath.

"As you know, the world was ripped apart. Some say it was human nature. Some say the environmental elements got too much. I've even heard some rumours about people who think sun flares are to blame, but I'd put it down to war. Our city was left standing, intact. Soon, the faction system was introduced to keep the peace. Everyone blamed the world's problems on something:

"Those who blamed selfishness formed Abnegation; Those who blamed dishonesty formed Candor; Those who blamed war formed Amity; Those who blamed idiocy formed Erudite; And those who blamed cowardice formed Dauntless."

"And you're Dauntless." Katniss stated. I shook my head. "No, I was Abnegation born, and transfered to Dauntless; But I'm neither. The test didn't work on me. They call it Divergent." She gave me a confused look. "Basically, your mind works a different way. Your're not normal; You're different. You're able to control simulations and you can't be controlled. The true Divergent are genetically pure. That's what I am. We don't fit into just one faction. I tested for Erudite, Abnegation, and Dauntless."

"Why isn't there a faction for Divergent?"

"We're rare, and considered dangerous. At least, we used to be. The faction system was a way to get everyone under control. Divergent don't do that. We can't be controlled.

"Basically, this system has kept our society from falling apart. It lasted a good time, for about fifty years or so. After a while, the Erudite wanted more control over our political government, and basically ruined everything." I proceeded to tell Katniss about the Fence, and what lay beyond it. I told her about the Bureau for Genetic Welfare, along with the memory serum.

"So, you're saying almost no one remembers what happened?" Katniss asked. I nodded. "Yep. That's the whole story." She was silent for a while, trying to process everything.

"When did the world get so messed up?" She murmured.