Chapter 9: Peeta Mellark

Before I could protest, Tobias pulled me away from the girls.

"Umm, you want me to bake you something?" I asked uncertainly, trying to keep up with him.

"Yeah, is that a problem?" He shot back. 

"No...." I was confused. 

"Hang on, wait just a moment." Tobias stopped, turning around. 

"What?" He sighed.

"Who are you people?" I asked. "What is going on?"

Tobias sighed, holding out his hand. "Hi. I'm Tobias, nice to meet you. You're Peeta. My girl, Tris, is talking with your girl, Katniss. We're from Chicago, the Dauntless  faction, and you're from Panem, district 12. Anything else?"

I stared at him. I opening my mouth to ask something, then decided against it. "No, no, all good" I muttered.

Tobias gave a satisfied nod. "Good. Okay, now, to the kitchen."

He took off again, leaving me no choice but to run to keep up. He led me through a series of hallways, twists and turns coming when I least expected. Man, it would suck to get lost in here. I thought.

Tobias stopped abruptly. I froze, almost bumping into him. 

"What?" I asked.

"Shh," he whispered, motioning for me to stay quiet. We stood at the end of a hallway, the next branch splitting off into two hallways. Tobias gestured for me to the side of the hallway. 

"What?" I snapped again.

"We're not alone." Tobias whispered. I raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean we're not alone, pansycake. Try to keep up."

"So who's here?"

Tobias was quiet for a minute, thinking. "Probably some Erudite. Enemy soldiers." he said finally, reaching for his holster.

"Whoa, whoa, stop!" I whisper yelled. "Is your first instinct always violence?"

"Mellark, you have no idea. Just stay out of the way." He snapped. 

"I can fight, too."

Tobias scoffed. "Well I don't see any large bags of flour for you to chuck around."

An annoyed look crossed my face. "I can fight, okay? I was tossed into an arena with twenty-two people out to kill me. Twice. The second time, I died. My heart stopped. I think I can fight." I argued.

Tobias faced me. "You better not be playing me, man. You know, the last time I let Tris off by herself her brother almost killed her. Her heart stopped, she died."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Okay fine, it was just a serum, but the point is, I can't trust you. How do I know Katniss isn't killing Tris as we speak?"

"You don't." I said, looking him square in the eye. "You just have to trust me, trust us." 

Tobias contemplated this, then sighed, pulling a long dagger from his belt. I took it gingerly, testing its weight.

"If push comes to shove, these guys won't hesitate to kill you. So be careful. Don't die."

I rolled my eyes. "Great pep talk, I'm so inspired."

Tobias was about to respond when I heard footsteps.

"Is that them?" I asked. The footsteps quickened. There were two pairs, like a hurried couple.