Chapter 12: Hazel Grace Lancaster

After the disaster in Amsterdam with my idol, Peter van Houten, Gus and I decided to take a stroll by the lakes. We were talking about our limited infinities, when we happened to pass under a long bridge. Only it wasn't a bridge.

As we came out from under the overpass, we found ourselves face to face with two armed guys. Those two people were joined by two girls, one looking suspiciously like me. 

I stared at the blonde girl, Tris, her name was, trying to figure out her deal. Beside me, Gus looked uncomfortable. That's reasonable given that one of the guys, Tobias, was giving him some nasty looks. Earlier, he had accused him of being "Caleb." Whoever that was. All I could get from the other two was that they didn't have a clue what was going on. The other girl, Katniss, looked nice enough, talking in hushed tones with Tris. The blonde guy, Peeta, looking around nervously, not knowing what to do. I decided trying to break the ice.

I cleared my throat. "So, mind telling us what's going on?" I asked, looking around.

Tobias glared at Gus before answering. "You guys came out of nowhere, and know nothing of what's going on." He snapped.

Tris cast an exasperated look at Tobias. "Tobias means to say 'welcome to the Dauntless compound,'" she said.

"I said what I meant and I meant what I said." Tobias grumbled.

Tris ignored him. "You're in Chicago." 

My eyes widened. "That's impossible." I stuttered.

"Darling, you have no idea what's possible." Katniss said light-heartedly.

"But we just came from Amsterdam. We were just in the Netherlands." Gus tried to explain.

"What's the Netherlands?" Katniss asked. "I've never heard of anything beyond the Fence." She stopped casting a glance at Peeta. "I mean, like, other than Thirteen, we've never seen anything else. It was all destroyed in the wars, made uninhabitable."

I made a face. "What? What wars? World War II didn't make the planet uninhabitable. What—What are you talking about?" 

Katniss and Peeta shared a look. "We're from Panem, a country near the—what did you guys call them?—the 'Rocky Mountains.'" The blonde boy said, putting up air quotes.

"Okay, two things:" Gus started. "The Rockies? Like from British Columbia to New Mexico? The Rocky Mountains?"

Katniss bit her lip slightly. "Yes?" It was more of a question. 

"Second question." Gus's eyes sparkled. "Panem? Like Suzanne Collins?" 

Wait, what? I stared at him. "Who're you talking about?" I asked, sure he had gone crazy.

Gus's eyes glazed over, and for a second, he stood immobile. Then it was gone. Gus shook his head. "I don't know," he muttered. I strained my memory, trying to think of someone, anyone, named... What was her name? I kept trying to grasp something, but my mind came up empty.

"I'm sorry, who?" Katniss asked. 

I shook my head. "I seriously don't know what the heck he's talking about."

"Okay, if we're done here, can we please at least try to figure out what's going one?" Tobias asked. He gestured at Peeta and Katniss. "First, you guys come around, somehow," he shifts his gaze to Gus and I. "Then you guys appear, Tris and Caleb have twins, one of them smokes, and this whole thing is a mess!"

Tobias ended his rant, sighing. Tris gently took his arm, then addressed us. "Okaaaaay, why don't you guys follow us?"

She turned around, striding down the hallway, leading Tobias with her. I look at the newcomers from "Panem." Peeta shrugged, following after them. Katniss stayed, waiting for us.