Chapter 7: Thomas

"—And every time, we would all just wake up here, with no memories. We didn't know who we were, or anything from out life before the Maze. The only thing the Creators let us keep were our names." Newt finished. We were in the Homestead, away from the prying eyes of the other Gladers. The uncalled for arrival of Percy and Annabeth sent most of the Glade into a panic. Alby had called a Gathering and assured the rest of the Glade that he had everything under control.

"Are you guys playing some sick joke? What is this place? Who are you guys, really?" Annabeth demanded, standing up. "You don't believe us?" I asked. She turned her ferocious gaze on me, and I suddenly felt much smaller than I was. "Wise Girl," Percy muttered soothingly. "Just keep an open mind, okay?" He took her hand, squeezing it lightly. Annabeth stopped, sighing. She took a seat, and waiting impatiently for an explanation.

"We were the last ones up," I said. "Teresa and I. All we know is that the Creators have put us here for a reason. All we know so far is our names, which aren't even ours." "What do you mean?" Percy asked. Teresa spoke up. "We've been having dreams—flashbacks—about our life before the Glade, just very small clips." "I remembered the Creators forcing us to accept a new name," I added. "They wanted us named after famous people."

"I bet you Wise Girl can guess all the historical figures you guys are named after." Percy said, smiling. "I accept that bet." I said. Percy gave me a smirk. "I learned a long time to never bet against Annabeth." Beside him, Annabeth shrugged. "I'll try." She said modestly. "Your names?"

"Thomas."

"The inventor Thomas Edison created such great innovations as the practical incandescent electric light bulb and the phonograph. A savvy businessman, he held more than 1,000 patents for his inventions." She said at once. I looked at her, surprised. 

"Easy." She shrugged. "Next."

"Newt."

"Besides his work on universal gravitation, Issac Newton developed the three laws of motion which form the basic principles of modern physics. His discovery of calculus led the way to more powerful methods of solving mathematical problems."

"Teresa."

Mother Teresa of Calcutta was an Albanian-born Catholic missionary who dedicated her life to serving the poorest of the poor. Before taking on the name Teresa, Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was born on the August 26, 1910 in Skopje, in what is now known as Macedonia. She decided to dedicate her life to Christ, working as a missionary."

"Frypan." Some snickers flew around the room as everyone knew Annabeth couldn't possibly guess that one; It was his nickname. 

Annabeth wasn't fooled. "Your real fake name." She said.

"Siggy." Frypan sighed.

"Sigmund Freud, born as Sigismund Schlomo Freud, was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, a clinical method for treating psychopathology through dialogue between a patient and a psychoanalyst."

"Alby."

Albert Einstein. As a physicist, Einstein had many discoveries, but he is perhaps best known for his theory of relativity and the equation E=MC2, which foreshadowed the development of atomic power and the atomic bomb."

"Gally."

"Galileo Galilei. Of all of his telescope discoveries, he is perhaps most known for his discovery of the four most massive moons of Jupiter, now known as the Galilean moons: Io, Ganymede, Europa and Callisto. When NASA sent a mission to Jupiter in the 1990's, it was called Galileo in honor of the famed astronomer."

"Winston."

"Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer. He was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945, when he led Britain to victory in the Second World War, and again from 1951 to 1955."

"Zart."

"Wolfgang Amadeus is one of the greatest composers of all times. He created twenty-four operas including such famous works as 'The Magic Flute,' 'Don Giovanni' and 'The Marriage of Figaro,' seventeen masses and over fifty symphonies. Mozart's work, however, extended to all styles and types of music."

"Chuck."

"Charles Robert Darwin was an English naturalist. He was born in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. He is famous for his work on the theory of evolution. His book On the Origin of Species did two things."

"Jeff."

Thomas Jefferson was born in 1743 in Virginia. He was a draftsman of the U.S. Declaration of Independence, the nation's first secretary of state, second vice president, and, as the third president, the statesman responsible for the Louisiana Purchase."

"Minho."

The last one threw Annabeth a curve ball. She thought about it silently, racking her brains. Finally, she came to a conclusion: "Because you guys are set in the future, due to the fact that the world does not accept kidnapping and placing children in a giant maze, I'm taking a wild guess that he's named after someone famous in the future, like a scientist or something."

The groans around the room were audible, though no one could deny they were impressed. "I win, Thomas. Pay up." Percy said next to me. I was about to respond when a loud noise shook the room; The Doors were closing.

Of course, Percy and Annabeth didn't know that. They went completely ballistic, holding onto each other. Percy started going insane, sputtering words that didn't make sense. "I'm not losing you again," he muttered. "If you fall, I fall with you." The rumbling noise ceased as the Doors shut closed. We all stared at them for a second, wondering what the shuck they were talking about.

When Annabeth realized there was nothing wrong, she blushed, letting go of Percy. "Sorry," she muttered, going bright red. "What was that?" Percy asked. "The Doors. Each night, the Maze changes, and each night, the Doors close. They keep the Grievers from getting in." Alby explained. "What are Grievers?" Annabeth asked. "Big, mechanical like creatures that enjoy feasting on demigods. Bigger than hellhounds, they strike faster than a basilisk and their tail produces a venom worse than a centaur's blood. Just the sight of it will make you wish you'd met Medusa instead." Minho answered sarcastically.

Everyone stared at him, unsure of what he'd just said. A strange look crossed Minho's face, as though even he didn't know what he was talking about. "What did you say?" Annabeth asked dangerously. "I-I-I have no idea where that klunk came from." Minho protested. Percy looked at Annabeth, fear written across his face. 

"What did you call them, again?" Alby asked. "Demigods," Minho answered quietly, as if saying the word for the first time. "What's going on?" Newt asked Percy. He was about to answer when a cry echoed through the Glade. It wasn't human, as far as I could tell. It was more like an animal's cry, but no animal could make a sound that terrible. It wasn't the mechanical sounds of a Griever, either. Many yells from the terrified Gladers followed. I looked at Alby, unsure if he knew what was going on, but he looked just as clueless as the rest of us. 

Annabeth whispered something to Percy. "If you have some information you'd like a share, I suggest you spill." Gally said. The look on Annabeth's face was confused and angry, but overall, scared. "You guys think the... the Greivers are the worst thing you've dealt with?" She asked. We all nodded hesitantly. She shook her head. "Wait till you see the stuff that comes from Tartarus."