Duties

Professor McGonagall beamed at them.

"Welcome back students. I'm sure you heard all the announcements? Good, so you know that we are forming the Dumbledore's Army again, with all of you as leaders. Yes, we will be expanding the group. I hope you don't mind, Harry? Good then. Because you will be teaching them again, with the help of the other old members.

"You should organise a meeting tomorrow if possible, to discuss what you plan to teach, to make sure you have at least two DA lessons a week, yes two, that is necessary. Free yourselves, yes yes, Quidditch players, you will have to adjust your schedule according to this."

Harry raised his hand. Professor nodded and Harry spoke.

"Professor, why exactly are we forming this group? I mean, I don't mind but why do we need to have two lessons a week?" 

Professor McGonagall looked at him and sighed. "Harry, under you, this group learnt much more than we could hope to teach.

"Producing a full Patronus is nearly impossible at you're age; and yet you taught them how to. You taught them Bravery and courage can be found even in the darkest of times and so much more.

The Professor signed.

"Harry, you've been an inspiration to them. We've seen that you've taught them more than any of the teachers have. And defence against dark arts is always required. But if you think that we've put too much burden for you, you may choose to dissolve this group." ended Professor McGonagall solemnly.

Harry smiled at her. For the first time, he thought, that the Professor sounded just like Dumbledore.

"But eh, Professor," he said, "Why the rush?"

McGonagall smiled at Harry. "Well, one can never be too prepared, can they?"

Harry shrugged.

"Any other questions?" Asked the Professor.

Cho nodded and raised her hand.

"You may speak, Miss Chang." Professor McGonagall said, nodding.

"Do we get to use the room of re- I mean, do we get to use a separate room for our practice or...?" She asked somewhat insecurely.

Professor McGonagall thought for a while, then looked at Harry.

"I think your leader can decide that, anywhere will be fine, but I have a feeling you will choose a particular room in seventh floor? But keep in mind, then non-DA members must not know about the place you choose to practice. Let me know once you do choose. Now, anymore questions? Good, you are dispersed."

Next the Professor called all the Prefects. Luna, Neville and Ron stayed back while Harry, Hermione and Ginny went and sat at the table. Draco Malfoy was sitting alone at the table and looked at them as they came.

"Potter." Malfoy said, nodding.

"Malfoy." Harry said.

"Weaslette."

"Shut up, Malfoy." Said Ginny, agitated.

Then he looked at Hermione and said smirking,  "Mudbl- I mean, Granger. Sorry, I get confused between the two."

"Draco Malfoy, it seems that you have forgotten what it feels like to get punched. Might I remind you?" Said Hermione, getting up.

"Hermione, he's just a ferret. It's not worth it." Harry said, forcing her down.

Hermione huffed and turned to talk to Ginny .

"So Ginny, " She said, smiling, "Deputy Head girl! That's so awesome right?"

Ginny grinned widely. "Imagine what mum would say! And Quidditch captain too! This year's got to be the best of them all!" She squealed.

Harry laughed. "Quidditch captain, Ginny! You'll be the best we've ever had!"

"Thanks." She said, blushing .

Draco rolled his eyes. Hermione saw him and got ticked-off.

"What's your problem Malfoy? Sad because a 'Weasley' became Quidditch captain?" She snarled.

Draco laughed. "What do I care? The Weaslette will make her team loose. Besides, Slytherin has a better team, always. Just because Potter manages to catch a snitch a few times by accident doesn't mean he can beat us this time."

This time Harry got up. "Oh yeah? Well Malfoy, I'm determined to make that mistake again."

He could feel the anger swell up inside of him. He took a deep breath as he continued, "Maybe you and your team better watch out because I plan to play well, and if I make mistakes like those and still manage to catch the snitch, I wonder what will happen when I play well. That is, if I'm on the team." He added, looking at Ginny nervously.

Ginny laughed. "Of course you are on the team! Don't be ridiculous."

Just then Professor McGonagall called all the heads and they got up and headed towards her.

"Well," she said, looking at them, "I know you might be wondering why I had Deputies assigned. You see, the Head boy and girl have to help organise events, patrol the castle on alternative days along with prefects, discuss the menu with the house-elves for Christmas and other occasions, check on Quidditch practices and a lot of other work.
This is a lot of work for just two people to do, and hence we decided we needed deputies.

"And yes, ninth years are there because they asked it to be so, and also because the Ministry of magic made it compulsory for students to study for at least ten years before they can take up any job. So yes, Hogwarts will have a tenth year also for those who wish to continue, but the last two years will be only for certain subjects you wish to take up in the future.

"Your duties as Head Boy and Head Girl will be patrolling, but not tonight. You'll also have to dish out appropriate punishments to students, and no favouritism." She said sternly.

"You may take and give points very carefully."

After clearing their doubts, she motioned for them to leave.

"Oh, I almost forgot!" The Professor said, calling their attention. "Deputy heads will also patrol, and Mr. Potter you will check the Ravenclaw common room, Miss Granger will check the Slytherin common room, Mr. Malfoy the Gryffindor common room and Miss Weasley the Hufflepuff common room. Am I clear ?"

They nodded.

"Good. And you four will share a suit together, as you'll have a lot to discuss."

She gave a small smile looking at their faces before she added, "You are dismissed. "

They looked at each other, shocked. A different room? Ron is not going to like it, thought Hermione. As they turned to leave, Professor McGonagal spoke,"Harry, Hermione, will you please follow me to my study?"

They nodded and followed their Headmistress to Dumbledore's study which was now her's, said the password 'Dumbledore' and closed the door.