Scarlet Letter- Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

"Do you understand us Blair?" Dad asked.

I nodded but I stared at them blankly. My gosh! They just told me that my cousin will be living with me starting tomorrow. My parents will take a vacation in our house in Australia.

"Wait, screw that. I don't. Why does she have to stay with me? I mean, can't she stay alone in her own house?"

Mom looked at me strangely. "We're talking about Leslie, Blair. Not Laila."

Les- what? No no no no. "But Mom! She's a kid!" My life would be much easier if it was Laila. She's my cousin. She's already 16. I don't even have to babysit her. But Leslie? Oh no. She's only 6, for Pete's sake!

"And? You're an adult. You can take care of her."

"Wait Mom. Where's her Mom again?"

"Blair, you've asked that question for the nth time! I told you, she's with Laila, searching for their dad in the US."

I pursed my lips. "Mom, I can't handle Leslie."

"Oh yes, you can," she encouraged me.

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

She sighed loudly in frustration. "Okay. I'll get a nanny for her. But you still take care of her, okay?"

I sighed in relief. "Much better."

"Nanny's only for weekdays," Dad said.

"What? But Dad!"

"We're actually training you to be a parent!"

"Parent?" My eyes widened. "No no no no. So not happening."

Dad creased his eyebrows at me. "You're gonna take care of Leslie. Do I make myself clear?" He already used his voice that tells you its best not to argue with him.

I sighed. "Yes, Dad."

-

I was awakened by an annoying shrill.

"What the-?" I covered my ears with a pillow but the sound didn't stop. I got up and groaned. I marched to the living room to find the source of the noise.

There sat my little cousin with a headless Barbie on her hand. She's throwing tantrums at her nanny.

"Can you shut up?!" I shouted.

She looked up. She stuck her tongue out at me and flung the Barbie at my direction. It hit me on my right boob.

"What the hell, Leslie!" I walked angrily towards her but she hid behind her nanny.

"You're so noisy! Do you want me to spank you?"

"Of course not! Whoever would?" she retorted. This child is really annoying. I want to hang her upside down.

"Do you know why your Mom left you here?" She stared at me blankly. "Because she doesn't want you anymore. She abandoned you already and she took Laila with her. Because Laila is the only one she loves."

"W-what? You're lying! Mummy's looking for Daddy!"

"Yes, of course. Laila and she went to San Diego to be with your Dad. So the three of them could live happily ever after. While poor Leslie here," I made a puppy face. "Will be left all alone."