Scarlet Letter- Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

"So this is your brilliant plan?" I scoffed at him.

He scratched the back of his neck. "Sorry."

I rolled my eyes. He's been driving for 2 hours straight. But hell, we ran out of engine when we're in the middle of nowhere.

"Amazing," I muttered as I sit on the hood of his car.

He sat beside me and nudged my elbow. "Sorry."

"Yeah, 'cause your sorry will miraculously refill your tank."

"I forgot to pass through the gasoline station. I was actually on my way there but you- I mean, Leslie texted me. So I immediately went to Tiny Me to see you."

See who? Me and Leslie or just me?

"Where are you taking me anyway?"

He stared at the distance. "Near the shore. I want you to witness the sun setting."

"I never knew you're that cheesy, Harry."

He turned to me and smirked. "Yeah? 'Cause you know me so well."

I reached for my phone. "We better ask for help."

He stopped me by snatching my phone away. "Later. Let's just savour this moment."

"Moment? What moment?"

He frowned. "Can't you just shut up and obey me?"

"No. Give me my phone back," I ordered.

He acted as if I haven't spoken and continued to stare at the horizon. I looked at the sky too and noticed that it's a mixture of blue, pink, red, and orange. The sight is simply breathtaking. I actually regret calling Harry cheesy.

"It's beautiful," I breathed.

"Yeah," Harry replied. And I can feel his warm breath on my ear.

I realized that if I turn around to look at his face, we'd only be inches away from each other. He might kiss me. Or I might kiss him.

And maybe I like the feeling of his soft lips on mine, because I turned.

And I'm the one to kiss him.

Like the last time, we shared a slow, gentle kiss. After a few minutes, the kiss was broken and he was the first one to speak.

"Why do we keep on kissing each other? We're not even in a relationship."

"Yeah," is my reply.

Silence.

"Do you want to be in a relationship with me?" he asked in a serious but hopeful tone.

"No."

His face fell.

"Harry, you're too young for me-"

"What? It's only three years! I've dated a woman twice my age!"

I grimaced. "That's not the point. My point is, you don't want to be in a relationship with me."

"I do! I really do. See, Blair, I lo-"

"Stop!" I covered his mouth with my hand. "Don't say that. I don't wanna hear it."

When I think he's already settled, I removed my hand. "Harry, you don't know me that well. You don't know my past. You don't want to have anything to do with me. Do you hear me? You don't."

"How do you know I don't?"

"I just... know. I don't want to hurt you if-"

"Yeah. As if I'm not already hurt."