Chapter 10

"So the recovery time would have been a week to a week and a half if you just left her alone." Saiph was speaking to Clint at the edge of my bed, her eyes practically glowing as her presence dominated this rather grand room. "When the stasis state reaches about 6 months or even a year is when you can say she's dead." 

Clint was just nodding, like a student would to a teacher. 

I barely had time to register where I was before the two of them turned to me at the same time with almost the same dead look in their eyes. 

It was utterly creepy. 

"Glad to see you're awake Mable." Clint walked over to my bedside, helping me sit up and brining a glass of water to my mouth.

My neck felt extremely sore as I tried to drink the liquid as slowly as possible. 

"So Mable," Saiph approached the other side of my bed, "What is the last thing you remember?" 

I wasn't even going to question why she is here. Saiph just does what she wants. 

"I," I croaked, my voice coming out in almost a wheeze, "The white wolf." I tried to keep my words simple and short, knowing full well that Saiph knows how to fill in the rest.

She nodded, "Well I guess I'll be blunt." She sighed, "You died. The white wolf was able to slit your throat with one of her daggers. Luckily for you, your body reacted perfectly and you were able to make a full recovery in just 3 days." 

What.

I died?

"Alpha Axel has made sure no one interrupted your healing process." Clint gestured to this large gray room we were in that just screamed masculinity with the black carpets and a large tv at the far wall with a dark wardrobe and a dark desk. "He brought you to his room." 

I just nodded.

Big mistake.

If I could, I would have screamed bloody murder. My neck felt like there was a large paper cut on it and when I tried to move I just ripped it back open.

"That's strange." Saiph leaned down, getting a good look at my neck, no body heat coming from her close proximity. "It should have healed fully by now." She reached out, poking at my neck despite my winces. "This is really a predicament." She pursed her lips, and for once in her life she looked actually stumped. 

So this really was a cause for alarm.

But my body felt incapable of moving or even having the energy to panic. 

"Maybe we should get her in some new clothes and then figure this out." Clint gestured to me, and I moved my head down enough to see my favorite blue pug sweater drenched in dried blood that really smelled like me, but dead. 

I scrunch my nose, not even noticing Clint walk out only to bring me a new sweater minutes later, getting Saiph to help me change. 

Saiph was just silent the whole time, helping me out of my bloodied sweater and into a new one - this one is now pink with another pug on it. I could almost hear the gears turning in her head as she silently debated since I was just sitting on the bed staring up at her.

"Mable, do you know how to kill a black wolf?" She asked, just randomly out of the blue. 

"No." I responded, my voice a little better but definitely hoarse. 

"Well you have to continuously keep killing them, not allowing the healing to kick in." She casually spoke, even taking a brush from who knows where and brushed my crusty and oily hair, "You remember Ken right? The beta from Caleb's pack? He's one of the rare cases where the torture didn't kill him but left him a scar." She spoke softly, her voice actually holding emotion.

I remember Ken, seeing how I said goodbye to him just barely a week ago. 

He never spoke because well, he can't. 

His voice box was completely destroyed when he was younger and an ugly jagged scar was left behind that goes from right under his jaw to just above his right pec. I've seen it since I've seen him train shirtless with Caleb. 

I never got the backstory on it, but now hearing Saiph just made my heart break. I didn't even notice I started crying until Saiph handed me a tissue from god knows where. 

Ken was my friend for the past few years, being the silent giant who would just be there for me when I was alone. He was very tolerant of me in sort of a big-brother way.

"Black wolves aren't immortal Mable," Saiph walked around me to the door, opening to reveal Axel who looked like he's been standing there for a while, and his wide eyes told me that he was listening to everything and didn't want to be caught. "I think you need to hear this properly." She spoke to Axel, stepping aside and letting him in. 

Axel looked at me, his eyes reading different emotions but the most prominent one was disbelief. 

I was suddenly self-conscious again, moving my mop of a hair in front of my face and staring at the floor. God knows my face is just as oily as my hair, and catching a glimpse of myself in a mirror nearby nearly scared the crap out of me.

I look like frankenstein's bride.

"Seeing how you are her mate I feel like I should tell you this," Saiph starts, surprising both of us as the two of our heads snap up to look at her rather short form. "Black wolves can die for various reasons: excessive old age, death curses, burned alive, and sometimes potions if the sorceress is strong enough." 

I felt like these conditions were a given, but jeez. It sounds like we can only really die in the most painful way. 

"For some reason though," Saiph smacked her lips, "I think you are weaker than the usual black wolf. Even low-ranked black wolves take up to a week to heal." She got up closer to me, staring deep into my eyes, "Did you ever meet a magic-user when you were younger? Or take any weird potions?" 

"Yes." I wheeze, avoiding Axel's stare. 

"I see," Saiph nodded to herself, "Welp!" She clapped startling both of us. "I would just take it easy for a while, maybe skip one or two training sessions before start working again."

"Oh, our women don't attend a lot of sessions." Axel chimed in, acting like that would comfort her. 

Ha.

Not this girl.

"What?" Her voice got a lot harsher, "Why the hell not?" 

Axel gulped, probably sensing the other dominant wolf in the room. "Our women do not fight in battles, wars, or do patrols. Mainly domestic duties." Our pack was a very traditional one, like majority of the packs out there. 

"That's so stupid," Saiph glared at him, the room feeling exceptionally colder, "A woman is more than your maid and I do hope you realize that when you are really in trouble." Without hearing a reply she left, not even saying goodbye to me. 

"Who the hell does she think she is?" Axel growled out loud, whipping around to me. Still staring at me like I was a unicorn. 

Those things are hard to find.