Chapter 38

"It's because I'm selfish okay?!" Caleb finally snapped, slamming the brakes and nearly making me choke with the seatbelt.

Ken on the other hand was ready, bracing himself with both his arms on the dashboard. He still looks extremely uncomfortable, like he was contemplating if he should've just not braced himself and let his body fly out the windshield to not be part of this.

"W-what?" I coughed out, rubbing my neck tenderly, but the pain was pretty much gone as soon as it arrived.  

"I'm selfish," he grumbled, gripping the steering wheel to the point where it broke. "I didn't want you out of my sight, but I also didn't want to ruin your - feelings - for me." 

I felt myself tear up, "Nothing would change my feelings for you." 

"But I'm not a good man Mable," he goes on, not turning to me, rather staring at the floor with his head down, "You know the things I've done, you've seen, but I've done much worst." 

Worst than killing bad people? 

"And I know why you do what you do," I sigh. He also knows that I have my own apprehensions against violence. Though I've learned that Caleb has earned his name and respect through fear, and has struck terror into his underlings for decades. "And I've accepted it." 

"Why?" He finally turned to me, looking me straight in the eyes. Though I couldn't see any emotion in them, only my own surprised expression in his black eye. "Why are you so forgiving? So - so innocent?" 

His questions threw me off. 

Why am I like the way I am? 

"My caretaker, I think you knew him," I smiled lightly, looking at him with as much fondness I could muster, "He wanted me to be happy, and over the years I've learned that no matter what happens to me, I will be happy if I do not dwell on the horrible parts of my past." 

"So you're happy with me?" Caleb whispered, his voice more vulnerable than I could ever imagine, "Is that why?" 

"Yes." 

Ken suddenly stepped out of the car, allowing us to be alone as he gestured to a nearby tree. He's 'going to the bathroom.' 

"I spent years with you Caleb," I began, "And ever since Boras died, I thought I would never feel safe again. But you? No matter how little we've shared with each other, no matter wherever we went and whoever you hurt, I felt safe with you. And soon I realized my feelings turned into.." I paused, smiling so wide my cheeks hurt, "I love you so much." 

He was speechless, staring at me with a gaping mouth and wide eyes. 

So I took the lead, unbuckling my seatbelt and leaning over to the shocked alpha and placing my lips on his, letting him finally snap out of it to respond, pushing back on me with a gentle force. 

It felt like we were on cloud nine, and in another world together until there was a knock on the window, forcing us to seperate. 

Let's go. Ken mouthed, opening the passenger door and plopping himself back in the seat. 

Clearing my throat I slumped in my seat, trying to calm my red cheeks, "S-so where are we going?" 

"To see the person who caused the incident in the infirmary." 

My throat dried, remembering the mangled mess that was once someone's mother. I could not forget that image even if I wanted to.

"How do you know where he is?"  

Caleb fell silent again, but Ken turned to me and showed me his phone with a long texting chain with the one and only Saiph. 

"I see." I briefly looked over the whole conversation, seeing a lot about white wolves, black wolves, and a good chunk of the message in the old language that I still don't understand. "Uhh so we're going all the way to Vermont?" 

"Yes." 

"Great."

It's nearly a 3 day drive to Vermont.

It's faster if Caleb just shifts and runs. 

"Soo," I shift uncomfortably in the silence that suddenly fell upon us, "Do you guys want to put on music or something?" 

Ken jumped at the opportunity, immediately plugging in his phone while Caleb stiffened, a light growl emitted from his chest as I watched as Ken scrolled furiously through his phone. 

I immediately regret everything, as the first few screams of heavy metal began to pound on my sensitive ears. Even Caleb winced, but Ken looked giddy as he had his own concert in his seat. 

It was weird seeing the quiet serious Ken suddenly so lively and happy, just sitting in his seat, bobbing his head to the screaming. 

**This is something,** I mind linked Caleb, seeing his red eye briefly look at me in the mirror. 

**He likes this kind of music, I like to think he enjoys the sounds of horrifying screams.** 

I would mindlink Ken and ask him why, but he seems like he's in his own world right now, and I wouldn't want to disrupt him. 

But I wasn't the one to stop the music. It was a wolf emerging out of the surrounding woods, slamming into the car with so much force that the car flipped over twice, the windows shattering all around us. 

I instinctively covered my head, feeling my arms slice open and my muscles naturally spit out the shards that got stuck in there, and my skin patched itself up, all at once. 

**Are you alright?** 

Caleb was already in wolf form, tearing the door clean off the hinge and gently latching onto my seatbelt, ripping that off too. I managed to peak over his fur, seeing Ken also in wolf form, fighting off more wolves that suddenly appeared. 

I wasn't too worried about Ken being outnumbered, especially since it looked like Ken was winning, tossing the smaller, mangier, wolves around like they were little stuffed animals. 

**What is happening?** I asked. I could feel my skin prickle with the urge to shift, but I fought back the instinct. 

** Don't know,** he made sure I got out of the car, letting me stand by his side, **But we'll find out soon.**

I did not miss the darkness in his voice.