Chapter 51

The old bear had brought the little girl to his cave, where it was empty and cold. 

It was like no one lived here, not even bugs or bats. 

But the bear walked to the back of the cave and laid down, curling up comfortably like he's done this thousands of times before. 

The little girl was unsure what to do, so she walked to the back and sat a distance away from the bear, awkwardly curled up as she watched the old bear close his eyes and his breathing evened out.

"Come little one, you'll catch a cold like that." The bear remained still, but one of his eyes was open, peaking out at her in anticipation.

She crawled cautiously towards the bear, sitting next to the bear's massive paw, looking at the claws with curiosity, rather than fear.

Suddenly the bears paw shot forward, flatting the small girl and pulling her form closer to the fuzziness. The girl froze in fear, but quickly melted into the soft fur as she relaxed her head on the bear's shoulder. 

"Sleep now little one," the bear yawns, showing off a healthy amount of razor sharp teeth, "We shall look for the human village tomorrow." 

The little girl didn't respond, instead she fell asleep onto the bear, basking in the warmth and softness of the bear. 

Morning came around and bear waited the little girl to wake up before he began moving, and her eyes opened when the morning birds sang a sad song.

"We shall go to the river, the humans usually are there." 

The bear rose, but the little girl remained seated. 

"What is the matter little one? Don't you want to go back to the humans?" 

She shook her head, tears once again filling up in her already swollen eyes.

"Why not?"

"My mommy brought me to the forest, my daddy was manning the carriage," she began, her lip trembling as she spoke, "She told me not to move until she came back. But it got dark and I got scared so I ran away." 

The bear remained silent, knowing what the parents did to this poor child.

"Mommy probably came back for me, but I wasn't there." 

"Do not fret child," the bear stood before her with cold eyes, his inner fury not shown to the little girl, "You were meant to be here."

She tilted her head in curiosity, "Why do you say that?"

The bear poked her head with his nose, the wetness and the cold of his nose made her giggle slightly, "Because you can hear me, do you think other humans can hear me?"

"Yes?" She was confused. She's always been able to hear animals, so why wouldn't others be able to hear them?

"Only those of the forest can hear it's occupants." The bear crouched slightly, "So let's go meet the others." 

The little girl got on his back, her parents pushed to the back of her mind as the old bear wandered the forest, the small woodland creatures greeted her with friendly voices and warmth.

It was strange, the little girl has never known such kindness when she was with humans.

"It's because us animals are happy with what we have," The bear spoke as if he read her mind, perhaps that is what he did.

"Happy?" The little girl wasn't familiar with such a feeling.

"We have rivers and trees that supply us with food, those same trees and mountains that give us homes, and each other to keep us entertained and happy."

The little girl thought for a moment, "Where are the other bears?"

The bear was quiet, knowing that the little girl was just asking a innocent question, "They are simply not here."

The little girl did not catch the sadness in his voice, but she rubbed his head just to feel the softness of his ears, not aware the comfort she gave him.

And so lived the great old bear and the little girl, living in the forest until the old bear was too old to move, and the little girl became a great woman known as the Forest Nymph.

It's strange how a pair like them came to be, but in the end, they were best of friends. And no one could say other wise.

It was an old story that Boras used to tell me every night, telling me that I was just like the little girl. He told me I would become a great woman, and I used to believe him. 

"What an ending," Clint chuckled, his voice quieter and weaker, "I figured it would have a happily-ever-after." 

"Well duh," I laughed airily, just pretending everything was normal, "It's a children's story, of course it will end nicely." 

He just stared blankly at the ceiling, the silence utterly killing me, "You know she always wanted children." 

I was silent, letting him speak of his mate seeing how there was a small light in his eyes. 

"Maya told me at least once a week that her first kid will be named Holden, regardless of gender, because her brother's name was Holden," the light grew more in those golden orbs, but so did the tears that began streaming down the sides of his face, "S-she then wanted twins at some point, hadn't decided the names but she wanted lots of kids." 

"What about you?" I asked, just trying to keep that light alive. 

"I didn't care, I still don't," his whispered, "But if it made her happy I would've given her thousands of kids." 

I never knew Clint met his mate, nor her fate, but I can only assume the worst. But the way he spoke of her, I could tell she was his entire world. I guess that's how real mates truly feel about each other. 

"I want to see her again," his voice cracked, his nose was red and runny and his eyes were still pouring out the tears. 

I felt my eyes burn as well, still clutching onto Clint's hand like that was my one lifeline to him. 

"S-she'd used to beg me to go out with her," his voice was muddled, barely coming out as coherent speech but I still understood every word, "She'd used to try to get me out of my office and outside, but I would say 'later' and 'later' and 'later,' until it was never." 

He gave a light squeeze back, his eyes slowly drifting to mine. I feel like both our eyes were equally swollen. 

"Don't let 'never' happen, Mable."