Chapter 41, Clint

A/N: SORRY I KNOW YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. But I know Clint is somewhat of a fan-favorite so here is a little for him.

"So he's down there with her?" Brennon asked, sitting beside his mate with his arm nicely tucked around her back.

"Yes." I sat there, staring blankly into the wooden table. Strangely, I'm irritated at Axel, but not because he's just someone who is always on my nerves.

I'm irritated because he thinks that trying to be with a mate he barely knows is going to work out. Especially when he was a complete asshole to her.

"You okay?" Rachel spoke softly, seeing how we have hardly ever spoken before and she is dead tired from worrying about Mable these couple of days.

I nod, clenching my jaw so much that it is starting to hurt.

It pisses me off that Axel never really treasured Mable until she left.

It probably pisses me off more that he was exactly like me.

"Clint," Brennon reached out to me, grabbing the top of my hand and suddenly yanking it upwards, "you're clawing at the table like a madman."

I said nothing, only getting up and walking out to go to my office.

I kept my eyes forward like always, ignoring the intruding stares and annoying whispers all around me from the pack.

Even with the council gone I am still feeling the affects.

Finally making it to my office, I just closed the door and slumped against it, staring at the floor between my knees. My hair had fallen into my face, just mocking me with my silver locks.

I remember when I was little and tried to dye it brown. A normal color. Like the other kids.

I wish that dye would stick.

Putting my head in my arms, I leaned onto my knees, closing my eyes in an attempt to just relax.

It is times like these where I wonder what the end of Mable's story was. The one with the bear and girl. I hope it had a good ending.

But for now I sit here in utter silence, with only my doubts and fears to keep me company.

I think that is one of the reasons for mates, to be there in comfort and to fill some sort of void.

But the Moon Goddess is a cruel yet fair deity.

She gave white wolves power in exchange for hard-to-find soulmates. Most white wolves I know grow insane finding their mates. 

I've had white wolf friends, emphasis on had, wander off the face of the Earth to find their mates, only to become mob bosses or something like that.  They were all insane. Price of power I guess. 

I also guess that is why I tried  to hard to be Mable's friend, someone who naturally is suppose to be superior to my subspecies. She was suppose to be some sort of iron-fist leader, but she isn't. And I'm thankful? 

"Hey Clint," Brennon suddenly knocked, his voice right by my ear as indication that he's kneeling, probably knowing I was having another breakdown right behind my door. "It's me Brennon." 

"Yeah no shit." I growled, feeling weak and tried nearly instantly. 

Brennon chuckled and there was a slight thud on the door, like he was just sitting on the other side of the door. 

"It's been nearly 8 years right?" He asked, knowing exactly what I was thinking of. 

"Yeah." I hunched over more, only in the throbbing pain in my chest. 

"You know it's okay to just let it out, it can't be healthy to do this to yourself." 

"It isn't." The one thing I know from my powers is that this body I have is not going to last much longer. I cannot even shift anymore, or hear the voice of my primal side. 

"Then just talk to me man," Brennon, I think, threw his head back, a loud thunk followed by a small 'ow' echoed in the wood. "I'm still your friend, right?" 

Of course he his. 

He was the one who helped me join the pack, and the only one who didn't make a big deal about me being a council employee. He was also the one who helped me get the job at the diner, all those years ago. 

"I'm so tired," I finally speak, sighing simultaneously. "I just want to close my eyes and rest." 

He was silent, like he was thinking long and hard about want I was implying. 

"Then when all of this is over, let's go on a trip." Brennon sighed, "Just you and me and how 'bout the beach?" 

No Rachel? 

"I hate the beach." 

"Mountains?"

"No." 

"Hiking?" 

"Absolutely not." 

"Cruise." 

"I will puke on you."

"Lakeside." 

"It smells." 

"You are so hard to please." 

I laugh, something that sounds so foreign to my own ears. "Yeah I guess I am." 

"Then what do you want to do?" 

I shrug, forgetting he cannot see me. 

"Dunno, I've never really thought past working." 

"Then I'll just decide," Brennon cleared his throat, "After all this chaos settles, we are dumping our duties on Axel and going to the beach. You need a tan." 

"That's awful beta behavior." I joke, feeling my lids grow heavy. 

"Yeah, and trying to destroy your health is awful life-behavior." 

"I guess." 

Brennon scoffs, "I think I'm going to check on Mable and Axel, they've been a while." 

I hum, tilting my head back into the door, not caring about the slight pain and uncomfortable position. 

Maybe if I just rest for a little while. 

And everything will be better in the morning.