Chapter 19

Caleb's smile never went away, and it was so big that it was borderline creepy. We were heading towards a waterfall, and Caleb's grip has gotten progressively more protective.

"Caleb," I reached up poking his cheek, "You're being very strange." He never smiles this much, usually it is just a quick smirk or a small smile. I continue to poke, just until he playfully snaps his teeth at me, the little bite sound he makes making me start giggling.

His smile grew more, lifting me up higher so that our faces were centimeters away, letting me easily caress his cheek to which he leaned right into it. "I love you so much Mable."

I giggled at him, slowly shifting my hand behind his head, pulling his face close enough to plant a kiss right on his lips. He was quick to react, lifting me even higher to press out lips even closer. His warmth spreading all over my body even when he pulls away, staring deep into my eyes with so much happiness.

This was all so new to me.

I always caught glimpses of him staring at me, just longingly with an unreadable emotion deep within his eyes but I never really thought about it.

The last time someone was so kind to me was when I first met Brennon and then Clint. Before that, it was just Boras.

Just Boras.

Just Boras and me.

? years ago

"I want to see my daughter." A low voice demanded, his voice oddly hoarse and tired, like he's been through a lot and desperately needs rest.

"She is not your daughter anymore Norman, now go before I make you leave." Boras's voice was equally low, but his held more authority and hatred. "She doesn't even know who you are anyways."

I don't think they know I can hear them, I didn't even realize I can hear them from my room despite the door being closed and them being at the front door.

"Y-you never told her about me?" The man sounded hurt, in utter disbelief and sorrow. "But I am her father! How could you n-"

There was loud shuffling, followed by grunting.

"You don't deserve to be her father!" Boras's voice was stiff, like he was being strangled or something. That was enough to get me out of bed.

Shoving my door open, it actually flew off the hinges, banging on the hallway wall, enough to get the attention of the two men on the floor as I stood in the hallway, clutching my pillow with tears in my eyes.

"Get off him!" I cried out, rushing over to Boras who was on the floor, holding onto the man's wrists as the man in the dark rain coat was on top of him, his hands wrapped around Boras's neck. I hopelessly started pushing at the man, feeling the rain from outside on his jacket. I couldn't see his face but his mouth was wide open in shock.

"Mable! Go back to your room sweetie, nothing is wrong here." Boras managed to push the man off, literally sending him flying since he was distracted. Sitting up, Boras gently pat my head, "Go back to bed princess."

"I-I don't wanna." I look outside to see the man getting up and rushing over to us with now a purpose. I screamed bloody murder.

Boras spun around, and the man stopped.

Boras just let out a sigh, "Go home Norman."

"Not before I talk to her." The man, Norman, snapped back, beginning to walk forward again until he noticed I was backing into the house more. "Mable, honey, it's me."

I shook my head, running into the house without figuring out who 'me' is.

"Mable!" Norman shouted, making me flinch but I don't think he saw that.

"I'm sorry Norman, but you should go. Mable doesn't want to meet you." Boras sounded tired now, "Come back tomorrow and I'll see if she wants to talk to you then."

"Okay." The man sounded defeated, yet hopeful. "H-have you heard from.... from her?"

"No," Boras gruffly answered, "Last I saw 'her' was when I saw her abandon Mable in the forest."

"What?!" Norman shouted, "No, she wouldn't do that!"

(A/N: Sensitive topics ahead! - suicide and rape mentioned- sorry!)

"She did, and Mable was lucky enough that I was following her mother." Boras sighed, and the scratching from the floor told me he was sitting at the table. "You should have never violated her that way, maybe she'd still be alive if you didn't."

"S-she's dead?" Norman sounded like he was inside now, and a loud thud sounded like he collapsed. "She's dead." He repeated, in utter disbelief.

"Killed herself after leaving Mable, just barely a year old, in the forest, right in the rouge hotspot to either be taken, eaten, or killed." Boras sighed again. "She jumped right off the edge of the cliff just by the waterfront."

"Y-your lying." Norman's voice cracked, "She can't be dead!"

"Watched'er myself." Boras replied, surprisingly blunt, "She looked right at me as I stood beside the barely-standing Mable, and jumped."

"But that doesn't mean she died." Norman tried to reason.

"Norman, it's a hundred foot drop to just sharp rocks and stone. Even the very thin water wouldn't be enough to cushion her fall."

"No." Norman sobbed, "She can't be dead. I-I didn't even get to say I'm sorry to her."

"If you were really sorry you would have stayed with her." Boras replied, "Or at least let her get some resolution, instead of you just disappearing."

"I'm sorry." Norman cried out, his voice nearly full sobs. "I'm so so sorry."

"She was utterly broken, Norman, you broke her. Ruined her. And threw her away." Boras's voice was so cold that it sent chills down my spine. "I'm sorry too, you know. I'm sorry I couldn't teach you to be a better man. I'm sorry that I didn't teach to you respect a woman. I'm sorry I didn't teach you to be modest, or caring, or sensitive. I'm sorry I didn't teach you to be a real man."

The two men became silent.

The sound of crickets finally lulling me to sleep.