Chapter 35

**Mable listen to the sound of my voice.**

Caleb was beside me, leaning in and touching my burning skin gently with his wet nose.

**It hurts Caleb,** I whimpered, trying to lean into him but my body has gone so rigid I can't even move my feet. **Why does it hurt do much?**

**You're fighting off your primal form, and it is trying to fight back by keeping you as a wolf.** 

I shook violently, trying to focus on turning back to being human. That weak form that trapped me for all my life. 

Maybe it would be better if you never changed back.

Yeah.

Humans are weak, mortal, simply pathetic. 

I guess that's right. 

They have such poor morals, always putting themselves first. 

Wait, that doesn't apply to everyone. 

Such annoying creatures, always so, so violent. 

Wasn't I violent as a wolf? 

You are stronger as a wolf, faster, smarter, better as a wolf. 

Am I? 

**Mable don't listen to her, only listen to me.** 

Caleb? I looked up, feeling the urge to reach out and touch his nuzzle. It looked so soft yet so dangerous. 

All of a the sudden I was on my back, and my very human hand reached out and cupped his muzzle, rubbing my thumb on his wet nose. 

"Caleb," I murmured weakly, "I don't think I can ever shift ever again." 

Soon my eyes drooped, and I was out like a light. 

2 years ago, on Black Wolf Island

"Mable," Caleb popped his head into his own office where I was typing away on another report about the last meeting we had with Alpha Castor, "We are leaving tomorrow for Canada, the White Wolf Sanctuary Pack, their asshole of an alpha finally wants to talk." 

"Caleb don't call someone an asshole." I didn't look up from his laptop, just listening to him as he sat down at his cushioned chair. I was sitting beside it, in my awkward wooden chair. 

He tells me I'm welcomed to use his whole office, but my more omega-side doesn't want to push our relationship. 

"You've never met him in person," Caleb growled, clenching his fists as he slumped down,  his eyes burning with fire, "He's so stuck up it makes me want to smash his face in." 

That finally got my attention, putting his laptop on his mahogany desk and closing it.

He's usually so in control of his violent side, but looking at him closely I could almost see the veins in his forehead popping out. 

Reaching out and lightly touching his fist got him to relax, just a little bit so his nails weren't digging into his palms to the point where I could smell his blood. 

We didn't say anything to each other, him just looking at me and me just smiling back. 

It was like he was studying me, looking at every detail of my face and memorizing my features. 

It was strange. 

To have someone genuinely look at me, and see me. 

"Of course I see you," his voice almost startled me, how deep and coarse it was. It almost shook the air around us, "You're the only one I see." 

I felt my face heat up, enough for me to reel my hand back, tucking it into my lap. 

He kinda chuckled at me, or his version of chuckling where he just smiles and shakes his head. 

"Ummm, so what's the alpha's name?" I grabbed his laptop, propping my legs up and resting the laptop on the top so it would hide my tomato face. 

"Alpha Dick," he answered with a flat tone. 

"Caleb!" 

"It's Alpha Richard," he started sorting through the mass amount of papers, "he trains white wolves to master their powers - " 

"That doesn't sound so bad," I start but didn't let him finish in time. 

"He makes them into living weapons, capable of wiping out whole packs." 

"Oh." 

"Oh indeed," he picks up a paper written in that ancient language he's slowly teaching me, "he's only threatened by us and wants to speak to me." 

"Seems sketchy." 

"Yes."

"So what's the plan?"

"We're going to meet them in a human town," he started, "only him and a couple of his warriors." 

"That doesn't sound like a secure plan." 

"There's more to it." 

"Which is?" 

"Don't worry about it." 

I nod, not pushing it. I'm used to not being told everything.

Over the past year we've been growing close. It's been a while since I left the River Side pack and I still get letters from Brennon, but it's kinda lonely when it's just Caleb and me. 

It's strange, I wasn't used to being in a pack that actually didn't want to hurt me, and even though I hardly spoke to any of the pack members, I felt welcomed. 

Now, I hardly see the other pack members here, if you can even call them pack members. 

All these black wolves, which is actually barely 20 of us, and we all sort of live together. They reluctantly obey Caleb and Ken when needed. 

It's strange to be in a pack that all members mutually dislike but respect each other.

It feels like high school all over again. 

I feel like most of them just want to go back to their real homes, before they were all deported to this island. As far as I know, they haven't been home in almost 50 years. 

I guess I am sort of lucky, that the only man who would've missed me has been long gone, and the man who was destined to love me couldn't care less about me.

But it's like a stab in the heart. 

Because I miss him every single day.