Chapter 43

"I-I've never seen anything like this," the doctor had his light shining straight into my ringing ears. 

Clint was also here, touching my shoulder. Though his hand felt a lot warmer than usual, with slight twitches in his fingers. His eyes were also a bit hazy, but they had a slight glow to signal him using his power on me. 

"What do you think?" The doctor asked Clint, but was avoiding looking at his face. Weird. 

Clint shook himself into focus, a cold sweat breaking out above his brows, "I-I'm not sure, she feels fine, but there is something off deep down." 

"Can you give us more details?" Axel was here too, standing beside the doctor with a stern expression. Probably trying to save face in front of the doctor. 

"I-it feels like tar," Clint furrowed his brow, like he was confused with himself, "It's dark, grimy, and completely coating some part of her." 

I could feel a chill run up my spine as he spoke. 

"Is she going to be okay?" Axel asked, the doctor long forgotten. 

"I don't know," Clint looked to me, some sort of sadness in his tired eyes, "I've never found something like this, and black wolves are suppose to be able to heal almost instantly when something is wrong." 

"Should we connect Saiph or Caleb?" 

"N-no," I cough suddenly, my lungs felt like they filled with some thick liquid, spewing a thick black liquid out onto the floor, and once again on Clint's shoes. "Th-they won't be able to do anything anyways." 

"W-what?" Axel stepped closer to me, but I held my hand out to stop him. 

"M-my primal side had spoken to me when I was asleep," I start, something I haven't revealed to anyone yet. "S-she says that my body is trying to get rid of the black wolf in me." 

"That cannot be possible." Clint held my shoulder, trying to keep me upright as my body swayed. 

"She doesn't believe it either, but she chalks it up to years of suppression," I let out a humorless laugh, "What was suppose to help me was killing me little by little on the inside." 

Poisons and potions were never suppose to be able to kill black wolves like me. But I guess the routine and repetition is what's slowly killing me. 

"Then why now are you getting such a severe reaction?" Clint's voice actually had some inflection to it. 

"That's something I cannot answer," I felt myself fall backwards only to be caught by two sets of arms, Clint's and Axel's. "I can't move." I used all my strength to speak, but I couldn't even move my head to look into the eyes of my friend or my mate. 

"W-what's happening to her?" Axel asked, not really to Clint but perhaps to someone else.

"Her body has nothing," Clint held my arm tightly, though the feeling of him even touching me was fading. "My powers can't sense anything, it's like she's becoming a statue." 

What really is happening to me? 

I do not know. 

What do you know? 

The Goddess will not let you die just yet. 

That's comforting. 

Your sarcasm is not appreciated. 

But why can't I move. 

Your body is resetting. I think. 

Real comforting. 

Hush Mable, rest now.

So what will happen to me, as a black wolf? 

I do not know. 

Will you still be here? 

I still do not know. 

Then I guess we'll wait and see. 

I guess so. 

I felt my eyes close, the shouting of Clint and Axel have become muffled and all I could hear was my own slowing heartbeat. 

I trust my other side. She said I won't die, and that's all I have to hold onto. 

I have come too far to even consider dying. 

**Mable?** There was a faded voice, a girl's voice, so familiar but so faint. 

I couldn't concentrate enough to respond, but I think the voice understood. 

**Mable, it's Saiph, your presence is fading fast,** her voice wavered, **Mable, I can't come but I am sending over help.**

Okay, how thoughtful of the cold-hearted Saiph. 

**Is Caleb with you? I cannot sense him either, and Ken's presence is also shaky.**

They are in danger? I felt a sharp chill down my spine. At least I could feel something through this weird numbness that has taken over my whole body. I shouldn't worry about Caleb though, he said that he's learned how to conceal himself from Saiph who seems to have a connection to all black wolves. 

But what is they are in danger? 

Caleb said he's coming back soon, so all I can do is wait for him. 

All of the sudden I am sitting on the edge of a cliff, watching the sunset with the golden rays reflecting off the calming waves. 

What in the world? 

"Welcome to your inner mind." A voice quite similar to my primal side came from behind me, and I turned to see myself. Though this version of me had the black wolf midnight hair, and her eyes were also pitch black, not my dull brown ones. 

"Inner mind?" I couldn't get up, but I didn't have to as she came and sat beside me, staring out into the wide ocean.

"It's the place you have kept me, and another ability of black wolves. Think of it as your 'happy place.'" 

"But why this  place? I've never been to somewhere like this." 

"It's what you created out of your own fantasies."

"I guess I've always wanted to come to a place like this." 

"It is quite peaceful." She sighed, leaning back if she was a sunflower, soaking up the sun. "Though it get's quite lonely." 

"I can imagine." There seems to be nothing else in sight, just some empty land behind me and the open water before me. 

We were silent, just watching the sun and the light dancing on top of the water. It was so breathtaking. But I guess that this gets old fast. 

"We'll be here for a while," she said softly, "Hope you get comfortable."