Chapter 46, Axel

"She's still completely unconscious," Caleb brushed her hair with his hand, not turning to look at me as he annoyingly stares at her like she was his whole world. 

"So who broke the window?" I walked over the glass, ignoring the nurses that finally made it to the room with shocked faces. 

"S-someone call security." One of the nurses stuttered, but before anyone could react the air got freezing cold. 

"Stop," Caleb leaned down and place a small kiss on Mable's forehead before looking around the room at the human statues. 

I was sadly affected too, only able to move my eyes uselessly, only able to look behind me from the reflection in the remaining parts of the window. "Y-you bas-tard," I grit out from my barely open mouth. 

"Hmm," Caleb walked over to me, looking up and down and sizing me up, "You're still being irritating," he turned his back to me, and if I could move I would tackle him again. "All of you who are human, you can forget ever coming into this room and treating this patient," And with that, a few of the nurses and doctors left without another word, "Now you wolves that remain need better security here at this room. Report to me every hour and make sure to record everyone who comes in and out." 

No one responded but Caleb turned to me with a smirk on his face, but his eyes still gave me chills all the way up and down my spine. 

"I-I'll kill you," I managed to spit, trying to even twitch my fingers. 

"You're resistance is admirable," Caleb's voice indicated no emotion, and what what I could tell he had absolutely no respect for me, "But your beliefs in fate and destiny are pitiful." He stood right in front of me so we would make direct eye contact, "And you, Alpha of the River Side Pack, are pathetic." 

"Fuc-" I began, but my throat tightened with something choking me from the inside out. 

"But I've learned about pathetic people from someone near to my heart," he actually has a heart? "And I've learned that they are redeemable." 

All of the sudden the feeling rushed back into my body so violently my legs gave out from under me, and I collapsed onto the floor onto my hands and knees, barely registering the glass cutting into my bare palms. I gasped out for fresh air that didn't feel like my lungs were filling up with acetone.

"We'll see how you redeem yourself." 

And he was gone. 

"T-that fucker," I coughed out, feeling my throat burned and a deep iron taste formed in the back of my mouth, "I'll kill him." 

"Alpha Brinks!" One of the wolf-nurses ran to me keeping a respectful distance from me, "Are you alright?" 

"Fine," I spit, actually spitting up some saliva and just whatever gross feeling inside, "I'm fucking fine." 

"W-where is Alpha Larson?" One of the other nurses spoke up, her voice barely audible. 

"Who fucking knows," I finally got some feeling in my legs, using the window sill to support myself, still not caring about all the broken glass. I managed to get myself on my feet and stumbled to Mable's bedside. She looks the same. "Leave," I order and the room was quickly cleared. 

The broken window was providing a small breeze, slowly cooling me off as I sat myself in the chair, watching my mate as she sleeps. 

Not creepy at all. 

"Mable," I sighed, speaking with a slight hope she can hear me, "This sounds like a broken record, but I am sorry." I prop my elbows on her bed, centimeters from her body, "I realize now that there is nothing I can do to make up for what I have done to you, and what has been done to you." 

I sigh again, rubbing my face roughly like I could wipe away the fatigue, "I don't know what to do anymore. The pack is holding in there, probably thanks to Brennon and Clint, and my mistakes are all coming to bite me in the ass." 

My mind regretfully wanders to what Caleb said moments ago, am I redeemable? 

But there was one thing he said that was definitely true. 

I am pathetic. 

I want to go back in time and beat sense into my younger self, but I can't, and I can only suffer from that. 

"I miss my mom," I found myself saying, my eyes stinging as warm liquid poured down my cheeks. I felt almost ashamed, scratch that I do feel ashamed. "She would smack me if she was here," I chuckled humorously, my chest shaking with a feeling that I was quite unfamiliar with, "She loved you by the way," I wiped my eyes roughly, trying to stop the flow, "S-she talked a lot about you before she died, like you were part of the family." I let out a small laugh, thinking of my mother, "I think she was guilt tripping me." 

I remember like it was yesterday, my mom lying in bed as she got weaker and weaker, smiling at me with purplish lips and deathly pale skin. 

She would scold me for having such a grim face every time I walked into her room, and would pretend like she was fine, despite her insides feeling like they were burning. 

Then she would talk about my mate, mainly about how beautiful she is and how strong she was, I and knew. I knew Mable was gorgeous and way out of my league at this point, and my mom most definitely told me that I did not deserve a mate like her. 

And I completely agree with my mom. 

Because my mom is always right.

Even if she was wrong. 

She is always right.