Chapter 36

I woke up in the back of what I think is an SUV, with a familiar face in the passenger seat up front. 

"Ken?" I groggily sat up, "Where's Caleb?" 

Ken turned slightly to look at me, smiling and pointing at the driver's seat where a familiar back was silently brooding as he drove. 

"Oh, right," I rubbed my eyes, forgetting someone needs to be driving in order for the car to be moving. 

My eyes were a bit foggy, but when they finally focused Ken was holding a bottle of water out for me. 

Actually it was a metal water bottle with a dog sticker on it. It's strange, I've never really seen a metal bottle like this and I don't even remember Ken having this on the island. 

"Thanks," taking it I awkwardly started unscrewing the top and taking a generous gulp. "Where are we headed?

Ken then handed me his cell phone, trading it out for his bottle, on his phone was GPS directions to go where? 

It was to the middle of nowhere, literally. 

It wasn't back towards Axel's pack, and it wasn't towards any other location I recognize. It was some place so up north it was almost past the Canadian border. 

"Where are we going?" 

I clutched onto Ken's phone, noticing he didn't ask for it back. 

"Don't worry about it." 

Typically I wouldn't question it, but the darkness in his voice sent chills down my spine. 

"Okay," I looked down at Ken's phone, then looking at them cautiously before going into his iphone and desperately searching through his contacts for a familiar name. 

But of course, my luck ran out the day I was conceived. 

This guy has not registered a single number or email, it was just full of numbers and area codes I don't even recognise. 

I don't know why, but something deep down in my gut is telling me I need to talk to someone not of the male gender.

"Uhhh hey Ken, do you have Saiph's number?" 

That got his attention, to which he grabbed his phone and scrolled through it briskly before handing it back to me with another queued up.

"Why do you want to contact her?" Caleb was looking at me through the rear view mirror, lucky for us this country road was empty, with not a life sign in sight. 

"To hear a different voice." I pressed the call button, waiting barely a second before someone picked up. 

"Mable is that you?" The same monotone voice I grew used to throughout my short time with her just sent chills down my spine. 

"Uhh yeah, how did you know?" 

"Well Ken can't speak, and Caleb has my number, so I assumed it was you." 

"Right." I sighed, thinking how I can speak my mind without sounding like an idiot, "S-so how are you?" 

I almost facepalmed myself. 

"I don't think you called me to make small talk so what do you want?" Her voice was just plain, but the attitude was so sharp it could kill someone. 

"I, uhh," my mind just blanked, not good at thinking under sudden pressure, "How's the weather?" 

She sighed, so long and so loud that it could be mistaken for wind. "Listen, I only have a couple more minutes of free time so hurry up." 

"I need advice," I blurt out, glancing at the mirror to see Caleb still watching me. 

"On?" 

"Staying in control." I remember watching her lose control. I caused me nightmares for weeks. "Or, controlling your wild side?" 

"You mean the primal side?" She sighed, like she was thinking, "Well to put it bluntly you don't." 

"What?" 

"You can't not be yourself. Excuse my double negative, but it's - in your case - her is part of you. Denying her existence is just hurting you. You are hurting you." 

"I don't understand." 

"I didn't expect you too," she sighed again, like she was getting frustrated, "Listen, our primal sides are part of our sophisticated fight out flight. This only applies to black wolves since other wolves are- lesser. So, unlike other wolves who primal sides lie primarily dormant unless very provoked, our's acts like our best fight response." 

Thinking for a moment there was one thing that was still bothering me, "But mine wanted to take over my body." 

"Then deep deep down your fight instinct was building up like some balloon and it popped when you finally shifted. So releasing all that fight power just made your primal side believe you are in forever survival-mode, or that your animal instincts still thought you were in danger." 

What? 

"So now that I've cleared that up, I need to go, bye." 

With that she hung up, leaving me in utter shock. 

Maybe my primal side was warning me I was in danger? 

What was she telling me? 

He's going to kill me?

Caleb? He's going kill my primal side? 

"Caleb where are we going?" I asked, surprising myself by pushing for an answer from him. 

"No where that needs your concern." He states bluntly, not even glancing at me from the mirror. 

"If I am being brought there I think it is worth my concern." I raised my voice to a tone that I don't even think was possible for me. Even Ken was surprised as he turned to me with raised brows. 

Caleb finally made eye contact with me. It was so cold and so dark that I immediately felt like my soul keeled over in fear. 

"And I said don't worry about it." 

His voice was just as cold as his eyes. And the air got significantly colder to, and it's a significant signal that I will not back down. 

"Are you serious?" I felt my blood boil, something that I've never felt before. "You will not leave me in the dark again Caleb. Over and over again I let it go in the past, but today, right now, I want an answer." 

Ken shifted in his seat, suddenly finding the outside window to be the most fascinating thing in the world.

It was the battle of two alphas. 

Both had it in their genes to be an alpha, but one just had more practice. 

"Caleb, will you please just tell me! Keeping me in the dark isn't benefiting anyone." The air got so cold I could see Caleb's heavy breathing from keeping in his fury. 

"You don't get to know." The engineer roared as he pressed down the gas pedal. 

Ken once again shifted, lower in his seat to where he sat shorter than Caleb, looking like he wants to be anywhere else than here.

"Why not?!" I gripped the seat hard, hard enough for the leather to rip. 

"Because it wouldn't matter to you!" 

This is the first time I've ever heard him raise his voice, especially at me. But for some reason it just fueled my fire, rather than smother it to death.

Like back then.