Chapter 18

"Feeling better?" Caleb held out his hand, helping me step down from the natural rock staircase away from the cave. He didn't have spare shoes but he did give me a oversized windbreaker that went down to my knees like the shirt.

I nod, just walking hand and hand with him, letting my bare feet walk over the sharp and jagged sticks and rocks. I could feel my feet get torn up every step I take, but instantly healing as soon as I take another step.

"That's good," Caleb looked down, his eyes darkening at the small trail of blood I was leaving. He suddenly swept me off my feet, adjusting his backpack so it was secure as he held me bridal style. The two of us were now walking casually through the woods, Caleb's heavy steps cracking the small sticks and rocks.

"Did you come for me?" I asked, seeing how Caleb seemed like he wasn't prepared for his typical meetings.

"Yes." Caleb huffed, like this was supposed to be obvious. "I couldn't leave you to that monster that claims is your mate. A real luna like yourself shouldn't have to clean, or cook, or do any of those disgusting 'chores.'"

I sigh, not questioning how he knows these things, "They are the duties I've accepted as part of the pack." I wrap my arms loosely around his neck, his staring up at his face as he walks, eyes straight ahead.

"Strange child." He mumbles, holding me a little tighter as he jumps off a small cliff that had a five-foot drop, landing on the other side just 10 feet away. "He still could have lessened the amount."

I let out a breathy laugh, "I don't think I even got to start my actual chores."

Caleb smiled, looking down at me briefly but it felt like an eternity. His mix-matched eyes gleaming with true happiness. His blood red eye coming off as more of a deep red orange, like one of a sunset. His midnight black eye shining with almost specks of white that shined like stars.

It was almost a look of adoration.

Something that I am not used to.

I felt even more heat to my cheeks, more than when I was butt-naked if that was even possible. I shyly look down at my body, finding the creases and crinkles of my shirt rather fascinating.

"So where are we headed?" I asked, absentmindedly playing with the ends of his hairs feeling how it grew out a lot from the few days I've left him.

"Well, I was actually called by Saiph after she told me you almost died. I came with the intent on taking you back to the island with me but I figured you'd want to investigate your attackers first." He tensed.

"You mean you want to investigate." I correct. I wasn't that interested in figuring out who attacked me. I just was done with dealing with drama.

Selfish, I know.

I just can't deal with life anymore. My pack may be in danger but I can't help them anymore. I don't even know what happened after the gunfire. I remember pain, then Caleb.

I just don't have the willpower anymore.

I am so tired.

"I have already looked into the attackers, or what was left with them, and have found that they are part of a somewhat greater organization who call themselves The Ones." Caleb pulled me up higher on his chest, like he was silently telling me to play with his hair more.

"How do you know this?" I questioned.

"I asked the remains of your attackers." Caleb calmly stated, "They were quite cooperative, but don't worry: I left them in piece."

I almost snort at his horrible pun, but my cringe was stronger.

I just squinted my eyes at him, pursing my lips and fighting the urge to smile, until I remembered how they got that way.

I pulled myself closer to his head, his arms accommodating my new position as I burying my face in his neck.

"Oh my god." I started shaking, feeling Caleb stop walking, holding me tighter. "I am a monster." I sob, my whole body suddenly feeling numb. I could feel the tears falling out of my eyes, but my cheeks burned so much from sobs that I couldn't feel the tears rolling down them. "I'm a monster." I repeat, trying to cope with the gore flashing in my mind.

Bits and pieces of flesh everywhere.

Blood splatter as high as the tree leaves.

Endless screams that still seem to echo in my head.

"You protected your pack, nothing monstrous about that." Caleb pulled my neck back just a bit, just so I could look straight into his eyes. He soon leaned in, connecting out foreheads as he stared deeper into my watery eyes. His mismatched ones pooling with so much emotion it was overwhelming to me in my new mental state. "You are so beautiful, selfless, and brave." He leans just a bit forward, gently pressing his lips to my quivering ones.

I wasn't sure how to react.

Just staring wide eyed at him as his slowly closed.

He pressed a our lips together just a little firmer, but so gently it was like I was made of glass.

Eventually I relaxed, my whole body melting against him as I too slowly closed my eyes, leaning into him and finally feeling the warmth from his cold body.

He was surprisingly so soft, and so so gentle.

Soon, too soon, he pulled away, leaving my dazed self staring right into his eyes that have seem to be in a daze as well. He just rested his forehead on mine, our faces so close that our breathing melded together.

"I love you," he whispered, "I've loved you ever since I saw you in the arena."

I found myself smiling, leaning up and pressing our lips together just one more time, and right before he had time to lean into me I backed, smirking at him as a smile grew on his usually cold face.

"I love you too."