47. Stepping up' growing up

Lauren "Lil Bit" Valentines.
November 5, 2017.
8:29pm.

• • •

Lauren sat in the bathroom of the hospital after calming herself down and trying to get her thoughts together

Lauren sat in the bathroom of the hospital after calming herself down and trying to get her thoughts together. "Be strong for them Lauren." She looked in the mirror and fixed her make up and her hair Megan had just finished for her before Jared had passed out and hit his head. "Keep it together for your brothers, they need you." She whispered to herself and took a deep breath bearing commotion knowing Keven had to just arrive.

She'd just called uncle Lue who was on his first flight back home, cutting him and his wife's vacation short.

Walking out of the bathroom She wiped her tears trying to hold her brothers together since they'd always held her together it was time for her to be the voice of reason and to speak positivity on the situation. She knew they all couldn't be all over the place and she knew her brothers weren't going to put their feelings aside because it was their only living parent left, and she knew they'd shoot up the hospital. So, in this time she had to step for them and grow up, show them that she's there for them and that Jared was strong and he'd be fine.

"Keven calm down, let him go." She saw August trying to pry his hands off the doctor who was withholding information from them about Jared.

"Keven cut the shit and let him go" Hearing Lauren's voice he calmed down a little and turned to face his baby sister.

His first instinct was to comfort her and put his emotions to the side as usual in a time like this, but when she pulled him by his shirt along with Anthony outside they both felt like they were in trouble because she looked just like their mother before she used to go off on them. "Did they say anything about him? Why they bullshitting?" Keven paced back and forth and punched the brick wall cracking his knuckles making them bleed while Anthony stood there letting his tears fall with his jaw clenched.

"Keven Stop." Lauren grabbed him. "I'm going to be strong for all of us, let me handle it and please calm down a little before you guys get locked up." She held both of their hands. "And Keven I'm sorry for always being so selfish okay, Im sorry I scared you and I'm going to do better okay?" She pulled them both into her and hugged them as they all let tears fall holding each other for the first time in a long time, and this time it was Lauren who comforted the two.

"I love y'all okay?" She wiped all of their tears and held their hands walking them back into the hospital and forcing them to have a seat while she walked to the front desk.

"Excuse me?" She tapped her nails on the counter gaining the new receptionist attention as they were in the middle of shift change. "Jared Valentines? I know you can't tell me much but can you please tell me if he's even alive?" She choked up and took a deep breath.

The nurse looked behind her and did something on the computer. "Cancer patient, hit his head and knocking himself out?" She whispered and asked and Lauren nodded. "His condition is bad but it looks like he's awake and until he talks he can't have visitors and he asked if they could keep his condition under wraps that's why no one is saying anything to you." The nurse sighed. "My dad was stubborn like this too and we didn't know until he - he um passed." She smiled a little and Lauren said her condolences and thanked her before walking away punching the wall and having a small pity party before getting herself together.

She walked back in the waiting room making her way to Keven who had a baby in his hands talking to him, she furrowed her eyebrows and stood over him looking down at the baby who looked up to Keven and just looked, sprawling his little body out on his lap.

"Why this baby look like us?" She asked still looking at him and then to Keven, and to August stomach

"Why this baby look like us?" She asked still looking at him and then to Keven, and to August stomach. "Oh my god is this Cassidy son?" She asked and Keven just nodded. "Well is he yours too?" She asked he nodded again. "Dad is going to be so happy when he see's him." She excitedly put on some hand sanitizer and grabbed him.

She'd explain their dad's situation to them and they all thanked god he was okay for now and prayed that he would cooperate with the doctorsso they could see him soon.

"Babe look isn't he the cutest?" She walked over to Rico to show her nephew off. "His name is Casey and he's Keven's son." She sat on his lap and admired the baby.

"He looks just like him, and momma too." Rico smiled with love in his eyes watching how much happier Lauren looked just to be holding a baby. "You still on birth control?" He asked and she bit her lip shaking her head no. "Good, stay off it." He told her and she smiled happy on the inside because that was his way of saying he now wanted a baby.

"Keven and Anthony?" She called out for her brothers and they looked up to her. "How would you feel if we get together, with dad and go to one of my therapy sessions? I'm tired of the constant arguments and we're all dealing with something deep down within ourselves, we don't know how to talk to each-other instead of at each other and I just want us all back to how we were before momma passed." She rocked Casey to sleep looking at them and they agreed .

"I'm so proud of you baby." Rico told her and placed a soft kiss on her lips.