Chapter 1

"What do you think?"

I looked up. Gabriel stood in the doorway to the kitchen. He shifted uncomfortably as I stared at him. His hair was no longer long, but cut short almost like Kota's. The sides were shaved close to the head while the hair on top of his head was longer. The two blonde locks that framed his face were gone, making him look different. Less edgy, but still really good looking. His new haircut showcased the three black stud earrings and pink loop in his ear. I waved at him, and he cautiously came forward to where I sat on the kitchen top. I looped my arms around his neck and smiled. "You look really good, Gabriel. It fits you."

The unsure expression in his eyes disappeared, replacing it with confident smile. His hands were on either side of my thighs, and he leaned forward. His lips touched mine in a soft caress, and I sighed. "I love you, Trouble."

"I love you, too, Meanie." I was so happy that I giggled.

A chuckle came from behind Gabriel. "You shouldn't giggle, Pookie, or I'll have to administer a giggle cure."

I peeked above Gabriel's shoulder to see Sean and Mr. Blackbourne standing in the doorway. Sean's green eyes were lit with anticipation. His hair was a mop of soft blonde curls, wild and untamable. His lips were pulled back into a charming grin. Mr. Blackbourne stood beside his long time friend. He was Sean's opposite with his dark hair and sense of perfection. Today he wore a dark gray suit with a white shirt. His outfit was finished with silver and white diagonal tie and a silver clip. Dark brown hair was swept back into a sleek hairdo. Grey eyes stared softly at me behind a pair of black frames, and his lips formed his millimeter smile.

Sean pouted from his place next to Mr. Blackbourne. "It's so mean of you to ignore me, Pookie."

Gabriel stepped away from me. He had a playful smirk on his face. "I can't help it if she finds me more attractive than you." He laughed, running from the room with Sean on his heels.

I laughed. A movement had me looking back at the other person in my room. Mr. Blackbourne came to stand in front of me. "Ms. Sorenson."

I blushed and straightened my back. "Mr. Blackbourne."

He gave me his arm to help me down. When my feet were on the ground, he offered me his arm. Blushing, I took his arm and he led me towards Kota's living room. Mr. Blackbourne spoke softly. "How are you?"

I thought about his question. So much had happened in the past few weeks. The boys' mission at Ashley Waters ended when Principle Hendricks turned on his partner Mr. McCoy when they started to get close. When everything was over, several teachers and students were in jail, awaiting their fate. There was enough evidence of blackmailing, embezzlement, fraud, and drugs that both of the men were going to prison for a long time. It was over in a moment, yet there was a lot to be done with the school.

"Ms. Sorenson?" A voice drew me out of my thoughts.

Suddenly I felt heavy with stress with everything that has happened. "Sorry. I was thinking about what happened."

Mr. Blackbourne stopped us in the middle of the hallway. He turned towards me with a gentle look. "Are you feeling well?"

I blushed. "I am."

He swept a strand of hair behind my ear. "Things have been stressful for the past few days. The Ashley Waters Mission was hard, and I think that we need to relax and grow as a team. It was going to be a something that I was going to mention at the family meeting tonight. I think that we all deserve to take a vacation."

I smiled, glowing in excitement. "Really?"

Mr. Blackbourne chuckled as he started to lead me towards the living room once again. "Really. I will ask them as soon as everyone is here."

"We're already here," a voice called from the living room. My eyes widened and I stepped from behind the wall to see the rest of my team. Kota and Victor lounged on the couch. Silas, North, and Nathan were in the seats around the living room. Gabriel, Sean, and Luke were in a corner, talking. In the middle was the coffee table. A plateful of ten colorful frosted cupcakes sat on the table. Did Luke bring them? How was he able to sneak them past North?

I smiled, running towards the sofa. I was happy and relieved that everyone was here together. The last few weeks had been stressful. Kota smiled, gathering me in his arms. The warm spice surrounded me. "Hi, Sweetie."

I giggled at one of his nicknames for me. "Hi, Kota."

"You must really want the giggle cure, Pookie." Sean smiled as he walked towards the empty seat next to me.

Unfortunately for him, Luke ran and vaulted over the back of the sofa. He landed with a thump that had me being thrown against him. He looked happy, carefree, and excited. "Look, Cupcake, cupcakes!"

I laughed. Victor leaned forward, picking up the pink frosted cupcake. He glanced at me, his eyes burning with fire. His smooth baritone voice had my heart fluttering as he extended his hand towards me. "Here you go, Princess."

"Thank you, Victor." I said, watching as everyone else picked up a cupcake that was decorated in their favorite color. My eyes widened slightly as Mr. Blackbourne picked up the cupcake with dark gray frosting. I looked away before he caught me and brought the cupcake to my mouth. Taking a bite, I slightly cringed at the taste. It was too sweet with a hint of a sweet syrup. I swallowed the bite before placing the pastry back on the table. I turned towards Luke who grimaced at his cupcake. "Luke, your cupcakes are too sweet."

Luke looked at me in surprise. "Mine? Didn't you make them?"

I tilted my head in confusion. A wave of sleepiness swept through me, and I struggled to keep my eyes open. "No, I didn't make them."

Silence spread across the room before Mr. Blackbourne jumped from his seat with a command. "Throw up. We need to get it out of our stomachs right now."

Everyone jumped from their seats but before they could take ten steps, they dropped to the floor. One by one, they fell to the floor like flies. My head flopped against the back of the couch. My stomach felt queasy, and the effort of keeping my eyes open was draining me. A sound to my right had me turning my head. The image of Volto standing in the doorway chuckling with his monotone voice was the last thing I saw before my eyes closed. A pang of fear went through my heart at the thought of what Volto had in store for me and my men.