Chapter 7

~Kota POV- an hour earlier~

one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, te- I stopped counting. I rubbed my head, trying to rub my headache away. The migraine slowly appeared when Raven and North started their usual fighting, and that was an hour ago.

"Shut the fuck up, Tweetie Bird," North bellowed. His large form came barreling into the living room with a Russian trailing behind him.

"Deal with it, South." Raven smirked, starting another argument. I heard grumbling from North then pots clanging in the kitchen.

I sighed before looking back at the two figures across from me. Corey and Victor had been working on their computers for the past three hours, trying to figure out the identity of a masked man that is terrorizing Academy teams. Despite their arguing, the two had not moved from their spot on the sofa. My phone rang with an incoming text message.

Mr. Blackbourne: Mr. Lee, we have a meeting with Dr. Roberts in a week. Details are unknown.

Me: Ok, Mr. B. I'll alert the others.

I tucked my phone in my pocket when Raven came into the room. He threw himself next to Corey, causing the man to almost knock his computer onto the floor. Corey gave Raven a look which he sheepishly returned. "Sorry, Corey. I just got a message from Little Wolf that they are back home."

Corey's face brightened at the news. "Really? All of them are coming back?"

"Little Wolf is already here. The others are arriving later. I am going to meet them. We are going to shoot some dummies." Raven smiled excitedly before bending down to give him a kiss. I would have laughed at the expression on Corey's face if I had not been alarmed of his words.

"Raven, wait!" Corey yelled but was too late. Raven had grabbed his jacket and slammed the door shut when Corey tried to catch his attention. He looked at me nervously. "He does mean the shooting range, right?"

North answered before I could. "Don't know. You should know since you are living with him."

Corey shook his head. "I'm sure he will be alright."

"Yes, he will, but the dummies won't be," North smirked.

I coughed, catching Corey's attention. "How are you doing on locating the missing money?"

Victor grumbled something under his breath before Corey could answer. "We weren't able to locate it. It keeps disappearing before we can fully track it."

"Okay. I think I'm done. I'm going home. North will take Victor home whenever you two are done." I looked at north for his response. North grunted, walking back into the kitchen.

It was nighttime when I finally got home. The light to my mom's room was off while Jessica's light was bright. A look into her room showed her reading a book. After waving at her, I walked into my bedroom. I was in the process of taking my shoes off when I peered out my window to see the empty two-story grey house. It was occupied by a family named Sorenson but they had moved a year ago, after their only daughter Marie had graduated from Ashley Waters High School. My brothers and I attended the same school last year. I winced, remembering the events that happened last year. Barely a week in, we had failed to help a boy being thrown over the balcony. He had survived but both of his legs were broken and was in a six week coma. Unfortunately, we were assigned to go back for our senior year in high school.

A figure seemed to appear from the shadows. The stranger walked up to the walkway of the gray house and stood there for a few minutes. While he stood there, I assessed him. The rain made the figure of the stranger a bit hazy. A black hood was pulled over his head, hiding the color of his hair. He wore black jeans and combat boots. He was about 5'4, probably in his early teens. The stranger has his hands tucked into the pockets of his jacket. After standing there, he started to walk away.

Something inside me felt I should stop him. Thinking quickly, I grabbed Max's leash and ran down the stairs to the garage. The golden retriever jumped up when he saw me and licked my hand in greeting. "Ok, Max. Let's go."

I opened the door and saw the stranger farther away. Touching Max on the head, I whispered, "Tackle."

Max bolted, running after the figure. I watched as the figure started to turn around when Max leaped. The figure twisted so he could land on his back. I winced as I saw the figure colliding with the pavement and a pang of remorse went through me. Running towards them, I yelled, "Max, get off of him. I am so sorry. He broke the lead."

My worry increased when the person didn't move. Max didn't hit him that hard, right? I knelt down on the wet road. For some reason, this seemed vaguely familiar but different. My heart beat furiously in my chest, but it wasn't from nerves or worry. I reached my hand out and pulled the hood away from the face. My breath caught when I saw the girl I had just ordered Max to take down.

Oh shit...