Chapter 6

After I met Dr. Roberts, the day had passed quickly into the night. After gathering my things at the motel room nearby, I drove my inconspicuous car towards my destination. When I came to a familiar diner, my nerves had my stomach rejecting food so I decided to walk through the woods. Rain had started to fall. At first, the rain came down hard, soaking me through my clothes. After minutes of hard rain, it lightened into a drizzle as I came to the edge of the forest. I walked on the grass. I wanted to shiver, but I steeled myself and ignored the cold. The air smelt wet and oily from the oil in the street.

My stomach grumbled but I ignored it. The last time I had eaten was yesterday. Sunnyvale Court hasn't changed in a year. Since then, a house that I was planning to sleep in one night in my past life had been built. A car was parked in the driveway but the lights were off. I focused ahead.

The bulb in the streetlight in front of the house was blown, reminding me of the night I met Max. The house that I lived in my past life loomed overhead. The house had a sold sign over a for sale poster. The grass was overgrown and was at least two feet high. The two story, grey house was still new. The family that had lived there moved a few months ago.

The night caused a foreboding feeling on the house. The grey two story house was empty. Thick cobwebs were in the weatherworn windows. The grass in the front yard was overgrown and a for sale sign stood crooked at the beginning of the driveway. It was obvious that no one had been living in the house for a while. As I stood there, I remembered the memory when I had met the first of the Blackbourne boys. It was a rainy night like this that resurfaced my old memories.

I thought back to what brought me here to stand in front of this house. After I had texted Raven, an old Russian friend, that I had arrived back in Charleston and invited him to the shooting range. His driving had not improved in the past two years when I saw him last. After an old lady dodged out of the way of the black SUV, Raven threw his driver door open and pulled me into a bear hug. After shooting some targets, Raven and I talked by ourselves.

"Little Wolf, what is the trouble." Raven asked me in Russian.

I had leaned against his shoulder. "You know why, Big Bear. I do not know if I can handle being back here. The others understand but with what happened with Devon, I blame myself for what happened."

Raven took me by my shoulders and shook me. "Wolf, it was not your fault. Yes you did encourage him to take the mission but you also warned him about the tradition. He did not make contact with the Blackbourne Team and tried to take it down by himself. If he had the help of the Blackbourne Team, that would not have happened. There were so many things that could have happened but know that what happened is not your fault. Besides that would not have happened if he had not fucked Mr. McCoy."

I recoiled from his hands. "He and Mr. McCoy were having sex?!"

Raven turned his head slightly, narrowing his eyes in thought. "Did I not say that right? Ah, I forgot the saying. It was fuck with. If Devon had not fucked with Mr. McCoy. That is right, yes?"

I nodded while holding in a sigh. "Yeah. It's just hard knowing that agents I'm responsible for got hurt."

Raven raised an eyebrow. "Things happen. Not everything goes to plan."

I nodded, knowing he was right. I smirked. "When did the Professional Russian get so smart?"

"When did the professional assassin get feelings?" He bit back with a smile. "It comes and goes."

"It comes and goes," I repeated softly.

Raven nudged me with his shoulder. "What are you going to do?"

"Start at the beginning," I spoke.

And I was the start of the beginning. I was in front of my house from my past life. It was here that my life began, where I learned to love and forgive. Where I learned to trust. Memories both bad and good ran through my eyes. My stepmother screaming at me, throwing punches. Her tying me to a stool and turning on the shower. My father leaving me and my sister for his mistress and her children. Marie snarling at me at how I should leave the house. Then images of the boys came into mind. The boys playing basketball in the driveway. Gabriel, Nathan, and Luke chasing me with ice cold water guns. Sean and Owen standing in my room after my mother wrecked my room. My heart started to hurt, adding to my exhaustion. Soft kisses exchanged with all of my boys. I closed my eyes and sighed. I turned, starting to walk away from my memories.

A slippery thudding sound came towards me. It was soft, almost inaudible, but I heard it. Before I could turn, a mass of something yellow threw itself onto me. I felt myself fall, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to stop. When my body collided with the ground, I felt my side hit the edge of the crosswalk at an unusual angle. I had thrown my arms outwards and the flesh on my hand scraped against the rough ground. When my head hit the ground, I knew that combined with my exhaustion I would black out. Darkness clouded my vision. Before I surrendered to the darkness, I heard footsteps running towards me and a voice yelling out. "Max!"