Chapter 8

~Sang~

I woke silently. My eyes opened in clarity. Making no noise, I sat up. I was lying on the couch in a living room that was familiar. The sky outside was still dark, telling me that no much time has passed. A look at the time on my phone told hour had passed by when I was unconscious.

I stood up, checking myself. My shoes and socks were taken off, and were sitting next to the sofa. Quickly I put my shoes back on. My clothes were slightly damp, but no one had tried to change them. A quick inventory of my weapons told me that my hidden arsenal were gone. The two knives I had in my shoes were gone along with the knife that I had hidden on my back. I frowned. I could probably sneak out of here, but that would mean leaving my knives. I didn't like that because my knives mean a lot to me. Before I could take a step, voices were heard as they neared the room.

The smell of moss and berry, jasmine and citrus, musk, and Irish soap hit me in the gut. I was so close to them, but they didn't know me. I was a stranger to them.

"Why hasn't she woken up," Victor asked in his baritone voice.

Sean spoke. "I don't know. It must be exhaustion."

"That doesn't explain why she was carrying three knives," North growled. The noise was closer.

A steely voice spoke. "We don't know but we will find out. No one carries that many weapons unless she's in trouble or intends to harm someone."

I took a breath as they rounded the corner. Standing about twenty feet away were nine men that haunted my dreams. Their shocked expressions told me that they didn't expect me to be up. We stood there, staring at each other. Before they could move, I darted towards the front door. Hands caught me around my arms, pulling me against a hard chest. The smell of musk filled my nose, and I reacted. I reached upward, hooking my hands around his head and pulled. He flipped over my body, landing hard on the floor.

A curse in front of me had me looking up. Gabriel and Nathan stood in front of the door, blocking my escape. Victor, Owen, and Sean were at my back. Silas, Luke, and Kota were near my side. They blocked all of my escapes, and I prepared myself to fight.

"Wait," a voice called out. I looked up into emerald eyes. His eyes held shock and curiosity. "We mean you no harm."

I looked at Kota. "So you'll let me leave?"

Kota nodded, and I sighed in relief. I know that I am paranoid, but a life of assassin makes me always aware that people aren't always who they seem to be. Although I knew them in my past life, that doesn't make them the same in this life. I stepped back as North lifted himself from the floor. His dark stare pierced into mine, and I looked away. "Can I have my knives back?"

"What do you intend to do with them?" A stern voice demanded an answer.

I looked into his eyes. "Why does it matter to you?"

Mr. Blackbourne looked at me with slight surprise. "We want you to be safe. If you are in trouble, we can get you help."

I almost burst out laughing, but schooled my features into a cold mask. When he saw that I had placed a mask on my emotions, he opened his mouth to speak. Before he could get a word out, a loud growl of my stomach rang through the air. I blushed, grimacing at the sound.

"Are you hungry?" A voice spoke. I looked up into playful chocolate eyes. I nodded, rubbing my stomach. "When did you eat last?"

I thought about it. Dark looks passed among the men, but I waved it away. "Yesterday morning."

North growled. "That was over twenty-four hours ago."

I shrugged. "I lost track."

Luke smiled. "Do you want to get some food in the kitchen?"

I smiled, stepping towards him. I kept an eye on the others around me. A large smile came over his face and led me from the others. He motioned for me to sit at the stools while he rummaged through the refrigerator. He pulled two sandwiches and turned towards me. "Chicken or turkey?"

I shrugged. "I'll take either one."

"Want a drink?" He pointed to the line of sodas and juices. When I nodded, he picked up two cans of Jumex.

He smiled, jumping into the seat next to me. He placed the chicken sandwich and drink in front of me before taking a bite from his. "I'm Luke, by the way."

Luke hadn't changed much. He still looked the same with his long blonde hair and playful brown eyes. His baby blue shirt was unbuttoned except for a single button in the middle, showing off his abs. The only thing that I would say that had changed appearance wise were the earrings. Baby blue stud earrings pierced both of his ears.

I smiled at him. "Sang."

I heard someone enter the room behind me although he tried to mask the sound. The scent of spices filled the air. A throat clearing had both Luke and me looking over our shoulder. The other eight stood in the doorway to the kitchen. The dark haired boy with green eyes gave me a gentle smile. "I'm Dakota Lee, but my friends call me Kota. Behind me are my friends: Nathan Griffin, Gabriel Coleman. Victor Morgan, Silas Korba, Mr. Blackbourne, North Taylor, and Sean Green."

I gave a small smile and nodded. "Nice to meet you. I'm Sang Sorenson."

Some gave me small smiles, while some gave me guarded looks. I turned towards the frowning giant. "I'm sorry about flipping you over. You startled me."

North's scowl softened into a small smile. "It's okay. I shouldn't have grabbed you like that."

I smiled, happy that I still had the gentling effect on him. I bit into my sandwich when Mr. Blackbourne spoke. "Do you live around her, Ms. Sorenson?"

I held up my fingers for him to wait as I chewed. "I used to," I blurted. I frowned at myself. Already ten minutes with them, and I was telling them stuff they shouldn't know. "It was a long time ago."

Silver eyes stared at me, searching, but I slammed down the icy mask on my own face. His gaze turned icier and so did mine. Until someone groaned. "Oi, you fuckers, stop staring at each other. Any more and you'd be able to make ice with those glares."

I smirked, giggling at Gabriel's words. I looked away from Mr. Blackbourne into crystal blue eyes. "Don't be so mean."

Blue eyes narrowed at me. "Then don't be trouble."

I smirked. "Trouble is my middle name."

"So," Kota spoke, breaking my stare with Gabriel, "what were you doing walking in the rain in the middle of the night?"

"Just walking," I shrugged, being dismissive. Instead, I turned my body to face him. I smiled. "Why did you have your dog run me over in the middle of the night?"