Chapter 9

Kota's eyes popped open almost comically. Pink colored his cheeks and his ears. The others behind him were staring at him, shocked. Everyone was quiet until snickers turned into laughter. I looked behind him at Sean, Luke, and Gabriel holding their stomachs as they laughed their heads off. I looked back at Kota and raised my eyebrow.

His green eyes were round that I almost pitied putting him in this situation. His mouth kept opening to say something but nothing came out. He stuttered. "What- I don't-" Red in his face, he sighed and looked at me in chagrin. "How did you know?"

A Cheshire smile spread across my face, and I winked at him. In a shushed voice, I leaned towards him. "It's a secret."

Leaning back, I opened my mouth to say something when my chest vibrated with three long and two short buzzes. I ignored the wide eye stares as I reached under my shirt. I slid my cellphone from the side of my bra and opened the screen. A text from Alex put a damper on my playful attitude. I sighed as I straightened and replaced my phone. I looked up into Kota's concerned, green eyes.

He tilted his head slightly. "Everything okay?"

I smiled tightly. I didn't want to be draw them into my line of work. Being here now puts them all in danger. "Yeah." I jumped up from my stool, forcing him to take a step back. "My friend just texted me, and I got to meet him." I smiled brightly at him and the others. "Thank you for your hospitality and being concerned about me. And for not leaving me in the rain unconscious."

I started towards the door, hearing the nine men behind me following me. I had just placed my hand on the doorknob when a voice stopped me. I turned around to face fiery brown eyes. Victor stood with his hands in his pockets and a friendly smile on his face. He would have looked like a picture of ease and coolness if it wasn't for the slight tension in his shoulders and the tightness in his eyes. He was concerned, and so were the others.

"Huh?" I said dumbly. Forgetting what he had asked me.

He chuckled softly. His eyes burned with laughter. "I asked if you need a ride."

I shook my head and smiled. "No, thanks. I didn't park far away." With those words, I pulled my hood over my head and stepped out the doorway. I was walking at the end of the driveway when Gabriel shouted, but the rain made his voice muffled. Besides my mind was on something else. I had a mission to finish.

After I traveled through the woods, I reached my car where I had left at Uncle's diner. It wasn't until I sat in my car when I realized that I forgot my knives at Kota's house. I frowned, not liking the tools that I've used to kill in their presence. It isn't like they would find any traces of blood since I cleaned them well but they would surely notice the very sharp edge that could slice through muscle and bone like butter. I sighed again before starting my car. I guess that I'd have to wait to get them back.

My phone buzzed again, and I grunted in frustration as I pulled it out. Alex's name lit up my screen, wondering where I was and why I hadn't answered him yet. He was bothering more and more. I had a lot of patience considering I lived with four boys, but Alex is starting to think that I was his property. If it wasn't for Ryuu and Levi, I'd have gotten rid of him a long time ago. Before I could send him a text, my phone started to ring with Alex's name.

I growled before answering. "Umbrella."

"Chair." A low voice spoke back. "Why didn't you answer me?"

"I don't answer to you, Alex." I grated out. "You are my informant. You tell me the mission that the council gives me. Now what is my mission?"

A moment went by in silence before he spoke. "568 Huddlestone Lane. Five mercenaries are planning an attack on Academy headquarters. Reason. The Academy has interfered with their bosses too many times. Another team is taking out the bosses. You take down the muscle. Take them out quietly. Will you accept the mission?"

My blood boiled. "I accept. I need no interruptions until I accomplish this mission."

"Very well. Funds will be transferred to your account. Good luck, Ghost bird." He spoke quietly before I ended the conversation.

I sat in the darkness of my car, thinking of different solutions. Putting the car into drive, I made my way towards my destination.

- - -

Mr. Blackbourne POV

I poured myself a cup of coffee, adding some cream and sugar. My mind was far away on the dream I had last night. Ms. Sorenson had appeared which was odd since I usually dream about the people I know personally. I had taken a sip when I noticed Ms. Sorenson's knives on my table. I had offered to take them since the others would be in trouble if these weapons were found in their possession. Something about them screamed danger. The woman who carried them didn't seem dangerous but I knew that looks could be deceiving. A flash of blue attracted my attention and had me turning up the volume of my television. A woman in a dark purple dress stood in front of a small house with police lights lighting the background. Her voice was strong yet the look in her eyes were terrified.

"Last night, an incident has shaken the residents of Huddlestone Lane. The police have stated that the five men that lived in this house here were killed in what looks like a home invasion. Their bodies were found around seven o'clock this morning by an anonymous caller who was passing by and noticed that something odd. The police are trying to locate this anonymous caller. The residents of Huddlestone Lane have been notified to contact police if they remember something and to stay safe until this threat has passed. Thank you. I am Jennifer Statton from New Channel 15." 

Well? What do you think about the story so far? Anything you like or want to see?