Chapter 5

I walked through the mirrored sliding glass doors. There was a desk inside the front lobby. A woman with gray hair sat behind the desk. When I walked in, she looked at me with a pleasant smile. "Good afternoon. Are you lost?"

I returned the smile, but my smile felt forced. "No. I'm here to meet Dr. Roberts."

"Oh, you must be his daughter. He's excited for your return," she smiled. "He's visiting patients. Would you like to his location or would you like to wait in his office?"

"I'll wait in his office," I said. "Thank you."

She chuckled. "My pleasure. It was nice to meet you."

I felt a small but real smile come to my face. "You, too."

I walked down the labyrinth of hallways. Although I haven't been here for years, I knew the way to his office. Along the way, I nodded politely to the nurses in the hallway. I knew that all the employees in this hospital were Academy, but it seemed rude not to notice them. When I turned down a hallway, I slowed at a window. I shouldn't but I couldn't help. I stopped in front of a wide window that overlooked the nursey. Five babies were inside. Little hats of blue or pink were on their head, and all five were asleep. A memory came to the front of my mind.

Dr. Green was standing next to me as we were ogling the babies. He pointed to two, a boy and a girl, beside each other. "Those two were born earlier today. Twins."

"You take care of babies, too?"

"I look after everyone in this hospital."

"That's a lot to look after."

He smiled in at the babies. "And why I'm here so late at night."

I turned to him. "What about at home?"

"Home?"

"Your family."

"Owen and the others are my family. You are, too, I should say." He turned back to me, his eyes softening. "Can't forget our newest little member."

I smiled at my past memory, tears gathering in my eyes. Suddenly a scent had me straightening. The scent of citrus and ginger came down the hospital, but the person wearing the cologne had not appeared. Turning, I hurried down the hallway until I turned the corner. Slowly, I peeked around the corner.

Sean was standing in the spot I had just vacated. His sandy hair was messy, and he slumped forward with a weight that made me want to run and hug him. Even from the distance, I could see the dark circles underneath his eyes. Was he working too much again? Some things never change.

With heavy regret, I turned away and continued until I reached the destination. I tried his door but was halted by the lock. With no one around, I took out my tools and undid the lock. The door swung open. The smell of the doctor's cologne was faint. Behind his desk was a bookcase filled with dozens of books and a jar of strawberry filled candy. Shutting the door, I took a seat in his chair and swiveled it around, popping a sweet in my mouth. At my eyelevel, I saw a picture. It was of the Blackbourne team. They were happy and smiling. Owen was standing straight as possible with Sean hanging on his shoulder but had his millimeter smile on his face, and Sean had wrapped an arm around his friend and had a wide cheery smile.

Behind me the door swung open. "I thought I had locked my door," a voice mumbled.

I turned around in his chair. "You did."

The man in the door jumped slightly. His white hair was combed forward, and his cheeks were kissed with age spots and freckles. Blue eyes looked at me in surprise before he rushed towards me. I met him halfway and he engulfed me in his hug.

"Oh, Sang," he sighed. "I missed you, little one."

I laughed. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of me when he hugged me. "I missed you, too. Cor misses you, too."

Dr. Roberts groaned. "That youngster just wants the candy. I see that someone has already gotten to the candy first.'

I shrugged. "Can't help it. They don't sell them at convenience stores anymore."

We sat down. I didn't want to ruin the moment but I needed to know. "Dr. Roberts, why did you call me? It must be urgent."

He sighed. His shoulders slumped. "The agents in the Ashley Waters Mission are being watched closely. They can't report to us because they are being followed and their cellphones are being monitored. The council has decided to insert more agents into the mission to take the people responsible out."

I quirked my eyebrow. "You want me to kill them?"

His eyebrows rose. "Heavens, no."

"Hi, I don't believe we've met." I smirked, pointing at him. "Doctor." I pointed at my chest. "Assassin." My smiled died and I sighed, trying to be understanding. Dr. Roberts is a doctor and I knew that he was against my role in the Academy.

"Dad," I said to gain his attention which I did. "You know what I do. Words have meaning, especially to me."

He put his face in his hands. "I know. I'm sorry."

I smiled. "It's okay. So I need to find evidence, yes?"

He nodded. "Yeah. You and your team will be inserted into the school. The people on the school role will not know that you or the others will be Academy." He gave me a pointed look. "remember to tell your teammates not to kill anyone."

I shrugged. "We'll try. Can't promise anything. You know how dangerous our lives are. How many favors will my team be gaining?"

"Six each member."

I nodded at the amount of thirty favors. Academy assassins are the best and cost a lot. "My team will accept the mission."

"About Alex," Dad asked with a wondering tone.

I scowled. "He needs to back off before the Academy looses a member. He ignores my refuses against his advances, almost hindered many of my missions, and drives both me and my team crazy. If you don't talk to him, I know what the others will do. And trust me, you won't find a body."

Dad sighed. "I've warned him. I'll replace him, Sang."

I stood, satisfied, and hugged him once more. His chest rumbled as he spoke. "Do you need any help making plans or accommodations?"

"No, we already know where to go. Thanks, Dad. I'll call sometime." I waved goodbye at him before exiting the room. When I walked through the doors at the entrance of the hospital, I knew that I had to face my past.

Emotions rolled inside me, threatening to burst. Pulling my phone out, I called the one person outside of my team who would understand me. I smiled as his grumpy voice answered my call. His thick Russian growled. "What?"

I answered in Russian. "Hello, Raven."