Chapter 3 - Ethan

My stomach knotted up and my heart beat quickened. My face felt hot.

Her dark blonde hair framed her face, fanning out on the pillow her head was cradled in. Her face was round and pale. Her facial muscles were relaxed. She looked peaceful, an image suggestive of Sleeping Beauty or Snow White. And she was pretty.

Very pretty.

Six weeks of severe injuries had not been instantly obvious, other than a cast that had been applied to her left leg, disappearing underneath her hospital gown. I could only assume it went all the way up her thigh, stopping before her hip. Of course she wore no makeup but I couldnt imagine it would have made her any more beautiful than good genes had naturally graced upon her. Her hair wasnt greasy as it would be for someone who hadnt washed it in six weeks and I wasnt immediately smacked in the face with a foul stench of body odor when I walked through the door, so someone was atleast keeping her clean and bathed.

I could feel my heart pounding within my temples. I took a few deep breaths, trying to calm my nerves. I didnt like this feeling. I hadnt felt this before. I was confident in my skills and had never doubted myself when it came to patients. Was it because she was so important to this hospital? My residency and future here did depend on her eventual recovery, however I knew that before coming in to room 8110. I was fine with it then. I shook my head feverishly. I had to refocus. I had to be professional.

A knock came from the other side of the door. Startled, I shot my head up, breaking from my thoughts.

Dr. Goode.

"Hows it looking, Ethan?" He greeted me warmly, totally opposite demeanor from the first time I had laid eyes on him. He was smiling. Genuinely. I shook my head at him and frowned, flipping once more through the chart, "There isn't anything here! How can I recommend a treatment plan when I have absolutely nothing to go on from this chart?" I probably shouldn't have been so short with him but I was annoyed. Annoyed at the previous doctor. Annoyed at this hospital's horrible record keeping. Annoyed at this stupid feeling I was trying to keep under control since I laid eyes on this girl.

Just annoyed.

Dr. Goode, nodded, apparently understanding my frustration. Well... most of it, anyway. "I apologize Ethan, but the previous attending was... not up to par, let's say." I could definitely second that. "I did not want his unprofessionalism to have any influence on your medical opinion. With that being said, I want you to start at zero. Run whatever tests you feel you need. Just keep me updated."

I shuffled my feel uncomfortably, tapping my hand on the side of my thigh. A nervous tick. I didnt know if I needed the information that I wanted to ask for. I ran my hand through my hair and rubbed the back of my neck. Was it necessary to know the gruesome particulars of the accident for this girl's treatment or was it just to satisfy my own curiosity?

"Is there something you wish to voice, Dr. Carter?" Dr. Goode crossed his arms over his chest, a look of amusement upon his face. "No... I mean, maybe? I dont know." I sighed hopelessly and turned to look at the woman in the bed. "You want to know the details of the accident?" Dr. Goode guessed correctly, his eyes also glancing at my patient, peacefully unaware of our presence. "Yes, sir," I admitted, defeatedly. I immediately felt guilty. I wasnt certain that any details needed to be shared with me for me to do my job properly but I couldnt quiet my inner voice, begging me to find out what exactly had brought this woman to the fate of this bed. Ugh, this was stupid. I was stupid. My first day here was quickly spiraling down the drain, impossible to stop now.

"I will send you the police report. You can add it to her chart. Haven's father will be back from his seminar by the end of the week. Please have your full evaluation on my desk by Friday afternoon." He narrowed his eyes at me, assuming incorrectly that I hadnt caught the seriousness in his tone.