Chapter 8 - Ethan

I held her for hours, until her tears finally subsided and she fell into a deep sleep. Kara had left a long time ago, too upset to watch Haven's anguish any longer.

I'm not sure if Kara understood I had crossed a line when I put my arms around Haven. I hoped she hadnt. Though I couldnt honestly say I was worried if she had. Of course it was wrong of me. It was a doctor/patient boundry that shouldn't ever be crossed. But in that moment, my heart broke for Haven. And I was powerless to fix it so I did the only thing I could...

I let her grieve.

Becoming a doctor had always been my dream. I wanted to help people. To heal them. But this career only touched on the physicality of it and Haven needed more. A heart wasnt something I could just literally put a bandaid over. It would take time. She had to go through the process and unfortunately, she had to go through it alone. It was painful for me to watch. I cant begin to imagine how it was for her to actually go through it.

I gently closed her door behind me and made my way toward the elevators. I wanted to go home for the day. I needed to recharge. If Haven needed me, I would have to be strong and right now, I knew without a doubt that I wasnt in any shape to be that for her.

"She knows now, doesnt she?" Lost in my thoughts, I had completely passed by Doris not even noticing her. Had she not spoken to me, I would never have seen her. "Yeah," I sighed, feeling completely drained. Doris put her hand on my arm, trying to reassure me, "She'll need you now, you know? Her father is..." she trailed off, thinking of the right words to say, "not as supportive." I shook my head, "I'm not sure I can help her through this, Doris. I'm not degreed in that kind of field, unfortunately." She smiled at me, softly, "Ah, I think you might be surprised Dr. Carter."

I wasnt certain what that meant, but I was too mentally and emotionally exhausted to ask. I just smiled and thanked her.

I wanted to go home.

_________________________

"Shit," he yelled as he tried to slow down to avoid the collision.

He pumped the brakes quickly, throwing the vehicle into neutral after all else failed.

A horn blared.

The semi.

The Jeep careened to the left.

Haven's side.

Oh my God, she was going to die.

He spun the steering wheel frantically, the jeep now sliding to the right side, instead.

"I love you," he said.

She closed her eyes and screamed as the force of the impact threw her into the passenger door.

The semi rolled the SUV like a snowball, eventually crashing through the middle and separating it into multiple twisted and mangled pieces.

Then all was still.

All was silent except for the blaring horn of the semi.

"NASH!" She screamed, hoarse.

Reaching into the empty air to her left, desperately trying to touch him. To reassure herself that he was okay.

But he wasnt.

And he wouldnt be.

He was gone.

Then there was darkness.

I flew out of bed, feeling the urgent need to run. Tripping over my feet tangled in the sheets, I fell. Face first. On the floor.

It broke me out of my half sleep state.

I groaned, forcing myself to sit up. I groggily removed the twisted sheet from my feet, pulling my legs up to my chest. I rested my elbows on my knees and leaned against my bed, trying to comprehend what I had just dreamt.

I had not had even one dream of Haven since her panic attack when she first woke up. Not one. Tonight, the first night in three weeks since I put her in a coma for her surgery, the dreams had returned. I couldnt say I was surprised after today's heartache over her situation but the timing was just... odd? When she was unconscious I saw her nightly in my dreams. When she was in a coma, there was nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

Tonight's nightmare was too realistic. I swear I could taste blood in my mouth. I glanced at the alarm clock.

12:17am.

I wondered if she was still awake. Maybe I should go to the hospital, just to check on her?

Before I could completely get up off the floor, my cell phone rang. I looked at it in confusion. Who would be calling me at this hour? I scrambled to the phone, hitting the answer button before I could see the number. "Hello?" I asked gruffly. My voice was a bit slower to wake up than my body.

"Mr. Carter?"

"Yeah," I replied, rubbing my eyes.

"This is Twila Teaver, I'm the director at Sunnyside Manor," My heart dropped. "Is she okay?" I asked breathlessly, not wanting to stretch the pleasantries out. The nursing home? At this time of night? It wasnt going to be good.

"I'm sorry Mr. Carter. She passed peacefully an hour ago."

I clicked the end button and fell back down on the floor. I knew it was coming. It had been expected for quite some time. And still, I was crushed. After what seemed like forever, I finally got up and knocked on Seth's door. "Huh?" He said, half asleep.

"She passed."

I heard him jump out of bed through the closed door. Then a loud bang. "Shit," he cursed. He must have tripped over something. The door flew open and he searched my face for confirmation.

"Your grandma?" He finally asked.

I nodded.

He hugged me and I cried, not the least bit embarrassed. My grandmother had taken me in after my parent's death. I was 7 years old. She became my mother. And my father. She was my only family until I met Seth. By that time, however, Alzheimer's had inflicted her and she no longer knew who I was. I hadnt visited her in four years since it seemed to upset her more than help her. So I stayed away and waited for the inevitable.

Now that it had come, I realized as I wasnt as prepared as I had thought.