Chapter 5 - Haven

His hand was strong and warm.

It felt safe.

I felt safe.

I watched the confused look on his face as I squeezed his hand. He quickly looked up at me, obviously startled. His eyes were wide with surprise, his open mouth immediately shut and I saw his jaws clench. But his eyes gave him away. I instantly knew that he had not expected me to wake. I also realized this strange dude was holding my hand. He seemed familiar and I tried desperately to remember if we had ever met. Surely if he was holding my hand, I had to know him... right? And yet, I dont think I did...

Oval face. Dark brown hair. Strong jaw line--not too prominent, but just enough to make the flexing of it noticeable. His thin eyebrows sat closely over his bright blue eyes. His face was too perfect, really. A model maybe? No. An angel?

Ah shit, was I dead?

He was thin and trim, wearing a long white coat that covered his light blue scrubs. A doctor? My eyes darted back and forth. Was I in the hospital?

...Oh my God, the wreck.

My heart sank.

But before I could grieve, I suddenly felt an overwhelming pain in my lower abdomen. It was strong, sharp and stabbing. My eyes widened and I couldnt help but scream. I looked down at my pelvis, desperately trying to figure out what was happening. I yanked my hand away from his, clutching my lower half.

Fucking shit! THE PAIN!

I couldnt stop the tears starting to well up in my eyes, blurring my vision. Still screaming but now gasping for air, I curled into a fetal position hoping to relieve the horrible feeling of being ripped apart from the inside out. It didnt work and I returned to my back. I tried straightening my position again, but it useless. I couldnt breathe. The pain was too intense.

Suddenly, I felt a mask trying to cover my face. I shook my head--NO! I had to keep the mask from blocking my mouth and nose! It would suffocate me!

"Haven!" He yelled. I saw him quickly press the emergency call button. I tried swatting his attempt to force the mask upon me away but it was no use. He laid both forearms on my arms, putting all his weight on me to restrain my efforts. Thankfully, he somehow managed to avoid my lower abdomen. His face was now a mere foot away from mine. His eyes full of concern.

"Haven," he spoke softly now, "Listen to me," his voice was calm and soothing and I couldnt help but become enthralled at the effect it had on me. I felt hypnotized. He demanded I listen to him. I instantly felt the need to comply. No idea why. I managed to keep eye contact with him. He did have pretty eyes. Familiar eyes... "you're experiencing a panic attack. I need to put this air mask on you to help you breathe. Please dont fight me."

"Please dont fight me."

Okay, Dr. McDreamy...

I blinked the tears away furiously and nodded complacently, still gasping for air. His restraint on my arms let up slowly. The door to my room flew open, hitting the wall behind it. Three nurses ran into the room and stopped immediately in their tracks as their eyes met mine.

Pure bewilderment.

A small twinge of jealousy unexpectedly washed over me when his attention diverted away from me and to the three nurses who appeared completely dumbfounded. The doctor pointed to the IV bag hanging above my right side, "More Morphine NOW!" He shouted urgently at the nurses. The male nurse ran to the bag and started opening the valve further. "Theresa, I need Ativan STAT!" He yelled at an older blonde nurse. She nodded and disappeared from the room.

The doctor turned his eyes back to me, my heart skipped, his voice softened once more, "Haven, focus on me and breath deeply," he held my eye contact, his face now appearing cool and collected, "Just on me, nothing else."

Gladly Doc!

"Good. Keep going," he smiled at me reassuringly. I felt proud I could make him happy. ...Oh my God, when did I turn into a 6 year old girl ecstatic I could please my teacher? Wait. Was I on a hidden camera show? A new drama TV series? This guy could not actually be a doctor. Surely this was some twisted joke!

I could feel the intensity of my abdominal pain letting up. My breathing started to slow. "One more deep breath--you're doing so good."

Anything for you, Doc.

Out of my peripheral, I saw the blonde nurse return, heading straight to my IV drip. "Dr. Carter?" She asked uncertainly, obviously not sure if that Ativan was still needed since my demeanor had now changed. He glanced at her and gave one small nod.

My eyelids became very heavy, very quickly and I struggled to keep my eyes open. Dr. Carter was still close to me, eyes on mine, "Its okay Haven..." My name on his lips was the last thing I remembered hearing before the drowsiness over took me.

"Its okay Haven."

"Haven..."

"Haven..."

"Haven..."

His words repeated over and over again inside my head, like a lullaby singing me to sleep.

And I believed him.

It was okay.