Chapter 22 - Ethan

"Ethan," she said breathlessly.

I stared at her. Probably with a dumb look on my face. Or maybe like a lost puppy. I'm not sure which. I just knew, I didnt know what to say. She took a couple cautious steps towards me. Her eyes burning into mine. God, her eyes. She was still just as beautiful as I remembered.

"Did you mean it?" She pressed.

I looked around me, confused, only to notice all eyes were on us. Nurses, patients, Seth. All watching in anticipation if what I said next. It was a lot of pressure. Especially since I didnt know what she was referring to. "Did I mean what, Haven?" I asked softly. I was still torn up. The wounds were still fresh and I hadnt expected to have this conversation today... definitely not in this setting. But, her face, full of hope, caused all my tension towards her to fade. She was still Haven. My Haven. Asking for me.

She took a few more steps narrowing the gap between us by mere feet. "In the woods. The three paths. You said whichever I path I chose, you would go with me. You promised," her voice broke and her lips quivered, "did you mean it?"

The dream? She knew about that? Well of course she knew about it but she knew that was really me? Not her subconscious projecting me? How would she know that? I had to be told...

She must have met Sara.

Either way, it didn't matter now. Now I had to chose a path. Stay the course with Haven and see where it goes or secede entirely. Of course, I didnt really know where this conversation was leading. This might not be good. It could. But maybe not.

I inhaled, ready to face whatever the verdict may be. I dropped my hands to my sides and stood up straight. I wasnt going to lie but I wanted to project some form of confidence, even if that was far from the truth. I clenched my jaws and swallowed hard. It was now or never. "Yes," I replied affirmatively.

Her body relaxed. Tears fell from her eye, down her cheek, "Then why did you leave?"

It was an instant, painful arrow, straight to my heart. She was right. I knew she was right. Seth knew she was right, he had asked me why I gave up. I should have slept by her door that night. I shouldn't have ever stopped knocking. I should have blown her phone up with calls and texts but I never did. I was more than willing to oblige her every request, no matter how hard it was for me. Even if she was wrong. Even if she didnt really want me to. I did it anyway. It was my fault, I should have read her better.

No. That's not right. That's an excuse. The agonizing truth was I should have fought harder. I had no reasoning as to why I didnt and now, in this moment, I wondered if I was even worthy of her. I had let her down. I'm not sure she was aware of it at the time but it's pretty evident she is now. At the same time, I didnt want to go. I didnt want to give up. And if she came back, I would, without a doubt, forgive and forget. So what did that say about me? That I was whipped? Or that I was really in love?

I was the one now that closed what was left of the small space between us, "I never left, Haven. I've been right here. Waiting on you." Which was mostly true. Figuratively speaking, I had been right here. In the literary sense, I was like three hours away but whatever.

Her eyes, filled with tears, now searching mine. But I never let my gaze fall away from her. This seemed like an important moment and even if it really wasnt, I still wanted her to know that I meant every word.

"I love you," she whispered.

And that was all it took. The only thing I needed to hear. The only thing I ever wanted to hear for the rest of my life. I grabbed her face, pulling her lips to mine. We crashed into each other, the outside world fading around us. My heart fluttered inside my chest, begging to be set free. Sparks lit up my soul, taking away my breath. Her body melted, molding into mine. And in that very second I knew I wanted this forever.

But slowly and reluctantly, I pulled away from her. She looked hurt but I still felt as if there was one piece of unfinished business we needed to attend to and I wasnt going to allow her to weasel her way out of it so easily...

I grinned at her mischievously, "So, does this mean you're ready to revisit the couch?" Her eyes lit up and she threw her head backed and laughed. Her cheeks were flushed from embarrassment as she glanced around the room, taking in our audience for the first time. When her eyes finally returned to mine, she smiled shyly and nodded.

And that would end up being what the rest of my life was like with Haven.

Haven, withstanding.