Chapter 11 - Haven

He was grabbing for me, holding my arms and pulling with all his might, determined not to let me go.

"Please Haven," he begged me.

"Stay with me," he pleaded with me.

And it broke my heart.

But Nash...

Nash needed me.

I couldn't leave Nash by himself. I couldnt just forget about Nash...

Torn between Ethan and Nash and forced to make a decision, I had to let go of one of them.

And it shattered my soul.

"I'm sorry," I told Ethan as I released my grip from his arms, allowing Nash to pull me down and away.

Ethan's face was the last thing I saw.

Eyes wide, brimmed with tears...

Scared.

And hurt.

And all because of me.

I shot up out of bed, gasping for air, tears streamed down my face. My heart thumped loudly, longing to be free of this caged chest that was restricting it.

The sun was starting to rise, up and out of the warm ground it had been sleeping in. I laid back down, curling up with my pillow and I cried with the impending sunrise.

Not because of my hospital stay. Not because of the accident. Not because of Nash...

But Ethan.

_________________________

"Hey Slugger, it's time to wake up."

I wearily opened my eyes, knowing exactly who I would see. He smiled emphatically at me. As if he cared...

"Dad," I murmured.

"Hello Sweetie," he said softly, stroking my head.

I groaned, pushing his hand away and trying to set up in the bed. I glanced out the window. The sun was up but the sky was dark. I saw little spots of rain start to form on the outer part of my window. Lightning flashed in the distance. A storm was coming.

"What time is it?" I asked him, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"Uh," he checked his watch, "11am."

I nodded and sighed.

"How are you feeling, Haven?" He asked in the kindest way possible.

I glared at him. I had been awake for three days. Mourning the loss of my fiance and trying to force my body to heal at a speed faster than it wanted to comply with and now he comes to see me? I ignored his question, "Where have you been?"

"I'm sorry," he leaned back in the chair, propping his ankle on his knee. He folded his hands, placing them gently on his lap, "you know how busy my schedule is."

"Whatever," I frowned.

He didnt notice.

"Where the hell is your doctor?" He demanded, looking around the room as if Ethan was playing some twisted game of Hide and Seek, "He should be following up with you every morning."

Where was Ethan? Shouldn't he be back today? I just shrugged, not wanting to dwell on it. Especially not wanting to dwell on it after this morning's horrible dream. I could still feel the rawness of the dream... the pain in his stupid, perfect face...