Chapter 10 - Ethan

"Ethan..."

Even in the dark, I knew that voice. I knew her voice.

"Haven?" I called out.

"Ethan..."

But I couldnt see her. I couldn't find her in the pitch black void I was enveloped in.

"Where are you? I cant see you..."

I spun in circles, squinting in the dark, desperately hoping to catch a glimpse, an outline... something.

"HAVEN!" I screamed.

Silence.

Nothing but deafening silence.

I rolled over in the hotel bed. I snatched the clock, turning it to see the time.

3:44pm.

I sighed. I hadn't meant to fall asleep, I didnt even pull the sheets back to climb in the bed. I realized I was sprawled out on top of the comforter. Finalizing grandma's funeral arrangements had apparently taken its toll and I was exhausted. Tomorrow would be the day I said good bye for the final time. Tomorrow, we would lower her into the ground.

My phone rang.

"What?" I snapped, groggily.

"Hey..." Oh. Seth. I immediately felt bad for answering the phone the way I did. I mentally noted my need to start checking the caller ID before I answer.

"How you holding up, buddy?" He cooed softly. I knew he was just being sympathetic, but I didnt need to be conversed with like a little kid! I wasnt five! ...Wow. I'm apparently really grouchy after naps. I should work on that. I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves. He hadnt done anything wrong and it wasnt fair for me to think such things. He was just being a good friend.

"I'm good. It'll be over tomorrow," I thought for a moment. Other than the funeral, I was not certain my plans were set in stone but I was sure that I didnt want to spend another sleepless night in this hotel bed. If I was going to be constantly interrupted by dreams of Haven, I would rather it be in my own bed. "I think I may just head home after the funeral," I added, just in case. In actuality it was the most likely case. "You dont have to rush back, you know. I got everything under control," Seth replied.

"I know," I sighed.

He chuckled, "Missing your patient, Loverboy?"

"What?"

"I'm taking real good care of Haven, I promise."

"Oh, fuck you Seth," I chuckled. I knew he was joking. He knew I was joking. It was all in good fun. But I was interested in Haven's progress and curiosity got the best of me, "How is she doing, by the way?"

"Oh finally! I was concerned you had found another woman since you didnt immediately ask about her."

"Har, Har--Asshole."

"You should really wash that mouth out, E!" He laughed heartily, "Shes fine. Honestly. Her vitals are good and I got her to leave the room on her own two feet this morning." I was a bit saddened that I wasnt there to see her progress but I was happy nonetheless that there was some positive turn around. I had feared she would just give up after learning about Nash and though it wasnt exactly an ideal rehabilitation achievement I would take whatever small battles I could win. Seth continued, "However, she hasnt eaten anything for two days. Sorry, man, I tried... BUT, on the bright side, I think shes got a thing for you."