Chapter 14 - Ethan

The glanced at the clock behind the nurses desk. A little after 4pm. I sighed. Surely Seth had released her by now. Did he give her the card? I checked my phone. No new notifications. Well, duh. She wouldnt immediately call me. Would she? I wished she would.

"Sup, E?" I turned to see Seth walking towards me. "Date night tonight, dont forget!"

I ignored his reminder, "How is she?" I asked earnestly.

Seth bit his lip, "Shes fine. I mean, I guess as fine as she could be given the circumstances."

I nodded and reluctantly returned to the chart I was writing in. I expected more from him, but apparently that wasnt going to happen. I felt like a sucker asking for more details, so I decided against it.

He came forward, standing right next to me, "Hey man? You sure you want to pursue this girl? Shes kinda... well, not messed up, I guess, but shes definitely got some stuff to sort out."

"Shes messed up. You can say it. Who wouldnt be after all that?" Which was true. She wasnt insane by any means. She wasnt crazy. She was just lost and hurting. Might as well call a spade a spade.

"I didnt have a deep conversation with her or any of that shit but whatever you said in that card really got to her."

I looked at him now, raising my eyebrows. Really? My heart thumped in my chest waiting for him to continue.

He shook his head, "I'm certain you got her... if you want to be patient and take your time. She'll call you. No doubt, bro."

I smiled, "Thank you, Seth." He had said exactly what I wanted to hear. For all his faults and douchebagginess, Seth was very perceptive. Not much slid by him. He read people easily and quickly. On the flip side, he probably also knew I was so far gone with this girl there was no turning back. And if he did know that, he had accepted it and supported me, without saying as much.

He slapped me on the back, "8pm. Date night. Dont forget."

Ugh. Fine.

_______________________________

"Dont go." I heard as I walked through a dark forest trail.

It stopped me in my tracks. I didnt know where I was. I didnt know where I was going and I didnt know what I was going to do when I got there, but I did know that voice.

I spun around to see Haven behind me, looking so sad and vulnerable.

What do I say? What do I do? I stood there, uncertain. She had needed her space.

Time.

Time was what she needed and I didnt want to push her.

But there she stood, right in front of me. So close I could touch. And I definitely wanted to touch...

"Please. Dont go, Ethan."

Her voice, so small, begging me. I couldnt turn her away, it just wasnt in me.

"I swear, I'm in here," she said indicating to herself, using her hands, "Find me."

I didn't know what "in here" meant but I didnt care to ask. I pulled her into me, wrapping my arms around her.

I kissed her forehead.

"Dont give up on me." She whispered into my chest.

"Never," I murmured and kissed the top of her head.