Chapter 6 - Ethan

A wave of relief came over me as she finally closed her eyes. And when her body relaxed, I knew she was once again comfortably asleep. I pulled away from her slowly, and a little sad. "Should I page Dr. Goode?" Theresa asked. I sighed, "No, shes down now. I will go update him personally." I intended to go over my findings with him anyway, I just wasnt expecting Haven to suddenly wake up.

The way she looked at me though...

For a split second, I couldnt help but feel like a knight in shining armor. She looked at me like I was one. Of course, that quickly changed when, I assume, she noticed her broken pelvis. That was the only injury I found near the area she was indicating.

Still, my heart was pounding.

Of course she would be even more beautiful when she was actually concious.

__________________________

"Man, the food here is good!" Seth exclaimed with a mouth full of cheeseburger. He had convinced me to grab dinner at a small bar across the street from the hospital, even though I really didnt have much of an appetite. I pushed my fries around on my plate, absentmindedly.

"How did you hear about this place?" I asked, a weak attempt to fain interest. "Samantha suggested it," he happily replied.

Ah, Samantha.

Samantha could suggest Seth jump off a bridge and he graciously would, surely thanking her on the way down. He had been crushing on her since his freshman year at Loyola. She graduated med school a year ahead of us and decided to intern at Northwestern as well. I'm sure that was the number one thing that convinced him to attend this particular hospital with me.

"Right. How is she, by the way?" Not that I really cared, I was just making conversation. I picked up my cheeseburger, forcing myself to take a bite. I might not be hungry, but I needed substance. And, of course, Seth was right. It was amazingly delicious. "Shes good," he grinned at me from across the table, "I think shes got a thing for you, though."

I rolled my eyes.

"She talks about you a lot actually," his eyes narrowed, "So much so that she informed me that you ended up assigned to the board member's hot daughter." I stopped chewing, surprised. "Why didnt you tell me?" Seth practically demanded. I forced myself to swallow my food, "Uh..."

Seth crossed his arms over his chest, obviously annoyed, "I asked for a woman with short term memory loss and ended up with Granny from The Beverly Hillbillies!"

I choked back a laugh, "At least he gave you the short term memory loss you requested." I grinned, proud of my lame comment.

Seth glared at me, intent on ignoring my comment, "Did I mention she constantly grabs my ass and insists on reminding me every day that she can easily remove her dentures at a moments notice if need be?" I scrunched my nose up in disgust, "Ew."

"No shit dude! I asked Dr. Goode to assign me to someone--anyone else! But no. I think he enjoys watching me suffer." I shrugged, "Hes a good guy." There was a short moment of silence as Seth studied me. I looked down at my plate, ashamed to meet his eyes. "Ethan," Seth leaned in over the table, towards me. His face becoming very serious, "are you okay?"

I inhaled slowly and deeply, "Yeah," I said as I then exhaled. He did not seemed convinced. "Fine. No I'm not okay! I just dont want to discuss it right now," I snapped. He smirked, "Its the hot girl, isn't it?"

"Her name is Haven," I corrected him matter of factly, "and no."

I thought for a second, "Maybe." I threw my hands up in the air, "Fuck, I dont know!" I leaned back in the booth, defeatedly. I didnt know. And I definitely didnt want Seth to know. He laughed at me, "Dude, chill. It's totally normal to be crushing on a patient." I snorted, "I do not have a crush."