Chapter 12 - Ethan

She squealed as we dashed through the rain, running across the street to the empty bar. She laughed when we reached the door. I took a moment to draw in her beauty. Her hair was wet and dripping from the rain, her shirt drenched and clinging to her perfect curves. Her chest was rising and falling from breathlessness. Her eyes were happy-- a huge smile on her face. I wanted more of this Haven.

The atmosphere of the moment did not escape my notice. Like the best moment in a romance movie, this would be THE kiss scene. And I would have made that happen if she was mine. If she had chosen me. I quickly pushed the memories of that nightmare out of my mind. I didn't want to kill the mood and it wasnt her fault my subconscious enjoyed tormenting me. I couldnt place the blame on her. That wouldnt be fair.

We quickly slid into a booth and I watched her look around the bar, taking in the scene, "I think I ate here once," she said.

"Oh yeah?"

She looked at me now. My heart stopped. She ran her fingers through her wet hair. She was gorgeous. She nodded, "Years ago, I think... with my dad." Her eyes dulled for a split second, but she kept that smile painted on her face. I furrowed my brows, "Was that who left your room when I came in?" She sighed and shifted in her seat nervously, "Yes, sorry about that. He can be... difficult."

I searched her face. She dropped her eyes, picking at her finger nails in her lap. Before I could assure her it didnt bother me, the bartender interrupted us, "You guys know what you want?"

"Ethan, how do you feel about hot wings?" Haven surprised me.

"I can do hot wings," I replied carefully, not certain why we werent getting those delicious cheeseburgers, but okay. A wicked smile came across her face, "Ten hot wings. Two glasses of water, please." Her eyes never left mine as she ordered.

The bartender walked away and I leaned in over the table, serious now, "I dont think that's the best choice for someone who hasnt eaten in three days, Haven." Which was true. I grimaced at the thought of how sick she might get.

"Oh hush, Ethan." The sound of my name from her lips was not lost on me--the same way she said it in my dreams. And it had the exact same affect on me as it did in those dreams. "Stop being a doctor and live a little!" I raised my hands in defense, shaking my head. I chuckled, "Okay, okay but dont say I didnt warn you."

"Wait, how did you know it's been three days?" She asked, raising one eyebrow at me, "Seth told on me, didnt he?" My smirk confirmed her suspicions. She growled and punched her fist into her hand a couple times, indicating what she would like to do to Seth's face. I laughed. She was fun. And spirited. And in that second, I felt as if the rest of the world didn't matter. Everything around us faded away. It was just me and her. And I was more than fine with that.

The bartender sat the wings and water down in front of us, "Anything else I can get you?" He was eyeing Haven, all his attention focused on her. A pang of jealousy washed over me, "Nope, we're good." I said loud and flatly. He looked at me, startled, like he had just remembered my presence. His cheeks flushed and he quickly turned and walked away.

I returned to Haven. She had her eyebrows raised, trying to stifle a laugh she couldnt quite keep down. I shrugged at her and that was all it took. She burst out in a deep, hearty laugh and then she couldnt stop, which in turn, caused me to laugh. She wrapped her arms around her sides, laughing so hard she was crying. It was infectious. "Was it something I said?" I asked innocently and it soon became clear that was the wrong thing to say because it just caused her to laugh harder.

I leaned back in the booth, crossing my arms over my chest watching her in amusement. Happy Haven. If she was ever going to struggle to breathe, this was how it should be. Laughing. I loved that laugh. This Haven was even better than in my dreams, full of love and life. This is the Haven I wanted to always see.

She calmed herself, wiping the tears from her eyes, "Oh, Lord, Ethan," she said as she glanced at the tears now on her finger tips. Chuckling here and there, "Whoo!" She exclaimed, taking in deep, steady breaths to compose herself.

I was suddenly aware that I was staring at her with a silly grin on my face at the very same second she noticed it as well. Our eyes met and there was a moment of silence and stillness.

She broke contact first. "Uh," her attention returning to the wings, "So, we're going to eat as many hot wings as we can without taking a drink. First one to drink, loses."

"Challenge accepted," I stated confidently. I liked spicey food. I could easily win this. I would win this. And we dug in.

But that third wing... it got me. And she caught me trying to sneak a sip of water. She excitedly pointed an accusing finger at me, jabbing it back and forth through the air. Her eyes wide, her lips covered in hot sauce and her mouth full of chicken, the only thing she could voice was "Mm! Mmmm!"

It came so easy, just like breathing. Like a refreshing gust of wind across the heated plain. Like water rushing over the falls. A rock rolling down hill. It was quick and it was effortless--And suprisingly painless...

...I fell in love.