7. Rebound.

After making an excuse to Emma that I wasn't feeling too well, I went back to the hotel to watch the race on tv, promising I'd make it for the after party this evening. I wasn't sure how I felt about what I'd seen, it wasn't as though Seb was kissing his ex but the hug seemed intimate and they'd looked close, it was no wonder Antti had followed me over, he knew she was there. The only thing I did know, was that it hurt me seeing him with her. The minutes silence for the passengers and crew of the missing Maylasia Airlines flight 370 was well respected and made me feel emotional. What made me feel even more emotional was Seb crossing the finish line in 3rd, his first podium this year. I shed a few tears watching the podium celebrations, I would have loved to have been there but I just couldn't face it if his ex was there. I turned the tv off and let out a sigh. I lay there staring at the ceiling. Half of me didn't want to go to this party tonight and half of me did, with Seb's podium there would no doubt be a celebratory drink or five being consumed by his crew and it would be a good night. I lay there mulling it over in my head for an hour until my phone pinged with a text. No prizes for guessing who it's from.

Seb V 🏁: Are u ok? I didn't see u in the garage today and Emma said u were unwell. I missed u x

I threw my phone down beside me on the bed, I was tempted to text back asking him how his ex was but decided not to text at all. I heard another ping.

Emma: Hey Harper, just checking ur ok. We are meeting at the roof top bar at 7pm. See u there chick x

Well, at least I won't have far to run back when I see Seb with his ex hanging off of him later. I decided to start getting ready.

Sitting in my room at 6.55pm I was so close to not going to the party. I was all dressed, in a long pale blue halter neck dress, and ready to go, my heels on my feet and my bag on the bed beside me. I'd even done my hair in to a side pony tail so my long dark hair flowed down my right side. There was a knock on the door, I pleaded with God to not let it be Seb, I wasn't ready to face him just yet. Thankfully it was Emma, with Antti, they both looked kind of serious.
"Hi, are you ready to go?" She asked.
"Yeah, I think so." I replied, it sounded better than no.
"Before we go, there's something you need to know." Emma looked apprehensive.
"If it's about Seb and his ex being here I already know." I rolled my eyes.
"She's coming to the party." Antti spoke up. "With him." Bless him, he actually looked a bit embarrassed..
"Great. Then I'm not going." I threw my bag back down on the bed from the doorway.
"Harper, you must come. Don't let him stop you from having a good time. I think they're only friends." Emma tried to reason with me.
"They've not been together for quite a while." Antti added.
"Please Harper, just stick with me. I'll buy the first round." She smiled.
"Fine, but if he upsets me then I'm coming back here." I walked back to my bed and picked up my bag before leaving my room and shutting the door.

I had been there nearly an hour and so far there was no sign of Seb. I sat with Emma, drinking or maybe I should say necking down my gin and tonic, with a face like thunder.
"Oh come on Harper, cheer up." Emma leant her head on my shoulder.
"Why do I always get too attached, too quickly?" I mumbled.
"Blame your ex husband, I always blame mine. The wanker." She giggled.
"He should have put me off men for life." I replied. "He broke my heart, just like Seb will." I looked in to my, now empty, glass.
"You don't know that." She tried to make feel better. She failed.
"Oh for fucks sake!" I exclaimed as Seb walked in and over to the bar, with his ex.
"Oh." Emma looked over, open mouthed. "Shit. He's holding her hand." As I heard her words, I looked to the bar again. Indeed he was holding her hand.
"Alright ladies?" Daniel approached us, I sensed a chance for petty revenge, but after I'd decided whether to bollock in to Seb or not. "You ok Harper?" He'd noticed my pissed off expression.
"I'm fantastic Dan." I replied sarcastically. "I'm going for another drink, anyone else want one?" Emma and Antti were too busy eating each other's faces to hear me.
"I'm good thanks." Daniel replied, holding up his beer bottle.
"Just me then, I'll be right back." I got up, my eyes yet again went to the bar. I decided to head over to exactly where Seb was. I made my way over, he saw me and let go of his ex's hand as I got to him. "Oh, don't stop on my account." I tried not to sound bitter, and failed. "Can I have a gin and tonic please? Make it a double." I spoke to the bar man.
"Harper, let me explain." He put his hand on my arm.
"No need. I have eyes." I shot back. "Forget it." I added, yanking my arm away from him.
"It's just that....." He tried again.
"I said forget it." I snapped at him before plastering on a smile and thanking the barman for my drink, telling to keep the change like an idiot. "Congrats on the podium by the way." I picked up my glass and started to walk away.
"Harper, hear me out!" He caught hold of my arm again.
"I won't tell you again. Forget it. It's not worth it." I hissed, escaping his hold.
"Things ok here?" Daniel appeared, he'd been watching us.
"I'm going out for some air." I walked away quickly and out of a set of double doors on to the busy roof terrace. I was fucking fuming.
"Harper!" Daniel called as he came out after me.
"I'm not the best company right now Dan." Some party girl I was!
"I know why you're upset." He stopped beside me, the view of the city in front of us.
"I feel like a complete and utter twat right now." My voice shook with emotion. I had got so damn hung up over Seb.
"Harper!" Seb came running out and over to me. "I want to explain."
"Seb, mate. I don't think she wants to listen right now." Daniel put an arm around my shoulders.
"Please, just give me two minutes." He pleaded.
"You've got 30 seconds." I folded my arms across my chest. "You're back with her aren't you, Antti told me she's your ex."
"We were over a long time ago, but....." He took a deep breath. "I don't know.......I don't know how I feel."
"You've been holding hands with her, it's pretty obvious how you feel." I quickly wiped a tear that had escaped from my left eye. "Just go Seb. Leave me alone."
"I'm sorry Harper." He at least had the grace to look guilty. I just turned away from him, facing the view of the city instead. I heard his footsteps as he walked away.
"Harper?" Daniel put his arm around my shoulders again, pulling me in to his arms.
"I need to get out of here." I looked up at him.
"Sure, I'll get you back to your room." He rubbed my back for a moment and then pulled away I followed him back into the bar and through it to the exit. Once we got inside the lift I gave in to the hurt inside of me and Daniel held me while I cried. When we got to my floor he held my hand and led me to my door, I used my room card and the door clicked open.
"You can come in if you like." I really didn't want to be on my own right now.
"Ok, sure." He followed me in, letting it swing shut behind him. I flopped down on to the bed and removed my shoes.
"Do you mind if I just nip into the bathroom and change? I really don't want to stay in this dress a minute longer than I have to."
"Yeah that's fine." He gave me a smile.
"I won't be long." I grabbed my vest top and a pair of shorts that I'd left laying on the bed and went into the bathroom. I quickly changed and then cleansed my face and then returned to Daniel.
"I know it's probably no comfort me saying this but Seb's an idiot for letting you go."
"Thanks." I sat down on the bed beside him. "I feel like shit right now."
"Well you don't look like shit, you're beautiful and if Seb can't see that then it's his loss" he kissed the top of my head, putting his arm around my waist.
"I can't believe it's happened to me again. My ex husband was a cheating piece of shit and now Seb." I angrily wiped my tears away with my hands. "And I can't even go home to get away from him, we've got to fly straight to Bahrain. How the fuck am I going to be able to work with him there?"
"You'll manage Harper. You'll have me to support you."
"Is there something wrong with me? Have I got doormat stamped across my forehead?" I leant my head on his shoulder.
"There's nothing wrong with you at all, if you were mine I'd never want to let you go." I felt him kiss the top of my head again, so I did what any normal, sane, rational person absolutely would not do. I lifted my head from his shoulder and kissed him, not because I secretly loved him or anything like that. But because I just needed someone.
"Hey, come on Harper. You don't want this." Daniel pushed me away gently.
"I do!' I launched myself at him, not caring if I was coming across as cheap or desperate. At first he didn't respond, his arms fell to his sides. "Please Dan." I murmured as I pressed my lips to his. Suddenly he responded and started kissing me back, his arms wrapped around me and he pulled me back so we were laying on the bed. Things quickly escalated and before I knew it, we were naked. I was rebounding, majorly. I writhed on the bed with Daniel's head between my legs as he expertly pleasured me with his tongue, he may be a few years younger than me, but boy did the 24 year old Aussie know what he was doing. After he'd made me come, twice, he moved and lowered himself down on top of me.
"Are you sure you want this?" His dark eyes looked into mine.
"You've just made me come with your head between my legs and you're asking me that?" I almost giggled.
"Oh. Well, no worries then." He grinned and pushed himself inside me. His energetic thrusts made the bed complain noisily, I hoped we weren't keeping the neighbours up. I took a moment to appreciate his broad shoulders and thick muscular neck, he worked out a lot and it showed. He had a beautiful face, even more so when he was turned on, his eyes had been closed when he'd started but now he opened them again. I was sure his brown eyes had darkened and were almost black. "Fuck princess, you feel amazing." He groaned as he started to pick up his pace, he buried his face against my neck pressing his chest fully against mine. I could feel his tongue stroke over my skin gently before his lips kissed there, a process he repeated around my neck and jaw line. He placed his lips on mine, kissing me and his tongue gently pushed into my mouth, he was a good kisser. Good everything in fact. I responded to him, giving him back as good as he gave me. I felt him change the angle of his thrusts slightly and quickly began to feel intense heat build in my lower abdomen so I wrapped my legs around his waist, I wanted to keep him there like that. His mouth returned to my neck, I felt him lick and then suck just below my ear, I knew he was going to leave a mark. He then raised his chest from mine and kissed his way to my breasts, once his hot mouth was on my right nipple I lost it and came quickly. He lowered himself back down again and kissed me, he started to almost jack hammer himself in to me while letting out moans into my mouth, I knew he close. I scraped my nails down his spine and dug them in to his butt cheeks, within seconds he came with a loud groan. I could feel his body shiver inside and out before relaxing on top of me, he was out of breath and panting while pressing kisses to my neck. After a few minutes he pulled out from me and rolled off of me to lay by my side. We stayed like that for a while, until I heard him give a little sigh. "I'd better head back to my room Harps." He said quietly. He'd obviously decided to shorten my name now we'd had sex then.
"Will you stay?" I still didn't want to be left alone, even though I was hit with a range of feelings as Seb entered my mind once more.
"Yeah, if you want me to." He answered after a pause, he'd had to think about it. I wondered if Seb was on his mind too and if he was feeling guilty. He got out of bed and went to switch the light off, plunging us into darkness. I almost giggled as I could hear him feeling his way back to the bed, once he reached it he got back in beside me and pulled the duvet over us. He snuggled up to me, kissed my cheek and I felt his arm slide over my body to hold me against him. He fell asleep quite quickly, while I lay there awake.

The alarm on my phone woke me up, I reached an arm out and grabbed it from the nightstand, prodding at the screen to silence it. I was hit with a massive wave of regret and then realised the bed was empty. Daniel had gone. It was only 6am and he'd already gone, he must be regretting it as much as me then. I felt cheap and desperate, what on earth must he think of me? I got up and headed straight to the bathroom to turn the shower on. Once I'd got in I just stood there under the water, I felt like shit. I'd lost Seb to his ex girlfriend and practically within minutes, had thrown myself at his team mate, not only that but I'd thrown myself under him too. I threw myself a little pity party and cried for a few minutes before washing and getting out. I hoped and prayed I wouldn't bump in to either driver in the lobby downstairs.

After finishing my packing I left the room and headed down to the lobby. As we were going straight to the next race in the calendar it had been arranged for the whole team to fly together.
"Morning Harper." Emma wheeled her case over to me. "How are you? Antti filled me in on what happened." I looked down at the floor, very glad she hadn't been filled in on what else had happened.
"I've been better." I mumbled.
"Shit Harper, I'm so sorry. I thought Seb really liked you. Even Antti didn't see this coming." She patted me on the back. "Chin up though hey, at least you hadn't been going out for months and then he dropped it on you."
"Thanks." I kept my focus on the floor, what an interesting pattern this marble floor had. Cheers for that Emma, yeah chin up, that makes me feel a whole fucking lot better. Not. I suddenly heard Seb's voice as he walked in accompanied by Antti, Britta, and her. The ex. I returned my gaze to the floor, not seeing Daniel following behind them with his trainer, Michael, and Christian.
"Hey Harper." He walked over to me, leaving his case and bag with Michael.
"Hi." I could barely bring myself to look at him, I was feeling a bit pissed off that he'd fucked off early this morning and not even left a note. That was mixed with shame and regret on my part for jumping in to bed with him.
"Have you got a minute?" He asked.
"Why?" I was in no mood to make anything easy for anyone today.
"I just wanted to talk..... You know." His voice went to a whisper, he obviously didn't want anyone to know what we'd been up to.
"Ok." I nodded my head. "Emma, will you just look after my stuff for a moment?" I turned to her.
"Yeah, sure." She looked at me and then at Daniel, confused. Daniel put his hand on the small of my back and ushered me to a quiet seated area near to the lifts.
"Harps....." There he was, shortening my name again. "I'm sorry I left like I did this morning, I was gonna leave you a note but I couldn't find a pen." He gave me a sheepish grin. "I would have text you but I don't have your number."
"It's fine." I looked around the area, not keen to make eye contact with him. That's how shameful I felt. Unfortunately for me I ended up locking eyes with Seb, he was watching us and I could see his mind working overtime, wondering what me and Dan were doing, talking away from everyone. "Give me your phone." I held my hand out to him and Daniel got his phone from his jeans pocket, unlocked it and handed it to me. I quickly dialled my own number and my phone rang once before I cut it off. "There, now you have my number." I handed him his phone back.
"Cheers." He looked happy to have it. "Look, about last night. I left early cos' I didn't want anyone seeing me. I don't think either of us wants rumours going around."
"I understand." I fiddled with my fingers in my lap.
"You regret it, don't you?" He asked, making me finally look at him.
"It's not that I regret it, it's just that........" I was struggling to find a nice way to say that yes, I did regret it.
"I get it, you've just had Seb get back with his ex, I knew you didn't really want me in that way." He put his hand on my shoulder.
"I did want you, last night was great." I smiled.
"But it was just sex, right?" He added.
"Now I feel even worse." I put my head in my hands. "I just wanted someone. I wanted that physical connection."
"Harps, don't. I was more than happy to give you what you wanted last night." He smiled, and glanced up to the ceiling for a second before looking at me again. "If you ever want a repeat performance........"
"I'll be sure to call you." I smiled back, glad Daniel wasn't taking things as bad as he could have.
"Guys, we're ready to go!" Emma called.
"Bahrain here we come." He stood up. "I'll maybe speak to you later." He smiled again and walled back to Michael. I followed returning to Emma to collect my things.
"You two looked cosy." She remarked.
"He was just asking how I was." I lied as we started walking.
"That's the thing with Dan, he seems so sweet and caring. He fancies you like mad." She replied as we went out of the door. As the breeze hit us my hair moved revealing my neck. "What the fuck Harper? Is that a love bite?" She couldn't have said it any louder if she'd tried. She might as well have used a megaphone. As Seb was ahead of us about to get on the waiting bus, he turned around and looked straight at me.