10. James.

It was Thursday night and I had been busy with lucky race fans, the press, team sponsors and their guests at a pre race party thrown by the team. Wearing a short body con style dress and heels I'd been endlessly posing for photos with people, smiling as if I was having the time of my life. Don't get me wrong, in a setting like Monaco and attending a formula one party I was happy to be here, but stupidly I was missing Sebastian. After working with him at a fan event yesterday after his track walk with the team, I'd been left wanting him even more despite my knowing that I shouldn't. Even Christian had decided to turn up yesterday and I felt as though he was only there to watch over us, something which hadn't gone unnoticed by Seb too. I stood with Emma and looked at the happy scene in front of us. People were dancing and drinking in the pool as well as all around it and every table had been occupied by groups of people. The place was jammed and the bar, near to where we stood, was manic. I scanned the crowd in the vain hope of seeing Seb.
"He won't be here you know." Emma gave me a nudge. "And you shouldn't be looking for him."
"I know." I sighed. "I'm finding it hard being around him already."
"Anyone would think you'd been going out for weeks after you broke up, not a day." She replied.
"What can I say? I fell for him, I wasn't looking for anyone when I started but then I met him. And we'd had three dates Emma, three!" I downed my glass of champagne.
"You need to make up your mind and decide what you will do if he asks you back." She watched as I grabbed another glass from a passing waiter.
"I want him back, but I know I can't. I'll lose my job, I'm sure of it, and what if he goes back to his ex again?"
"You would have to be prepared to let Seb prove to you that he won't do that, and as for your job? I don't know. I can't answer that one." She replied.
"I can't exactly go and ask Christian if I can get back with his number one driver can I? I don't think his answer will be 'sure fill your boots Harper' will it?" I plastered on a smile as a man who looked to be about my age approached us.
"Hi, want to dance?" He asked. "I'm James by the way." He held his hand out for me to take.
"She'd love to, won't you Harper?" Emma said, giving me a little shove towards James. "Off you go, enjoy yourself!" She grinned as James took my hand and led me to an area near the dj where people were dancing. I looked back at Emma, raising a brow to let her know I wasn't really wanting to do this. As we danced, we talked a lot and I found out he wasn't too bad a bloke really. He lived in Monaco, was 27, and ran a financial consultation business. Basically he earned a lot of money by telling other people what to do with theirs. He'd lived in Monaco for ten years after moving here with his wealthy parents but had been determined to make his own life here, in his own way. He had light brown hair, almost blonde in places where the sun had bleached it, and striking green eyes. His close fitted shirt and skinny jeans showed that he obviously worked out, I got the impression that he liked to play hard as well as work hard. After a while we were dancing quite close to each other, his hands were on my waist, he was smiling a lot and seemed to be having as good a time as I was.
"Can I have your number Harper?" He leaned in close so I could hear him. "I'd like to see you again before you jet off to another race."
"Sure." I smiled and stepped back to look in my small bag, I glanced around me as I undone my bag and got my phone out. I saw him. Seb stood there, at the bar, watching me and his eyes quickly locked with mine. I instantly felt as though I couldn't move, he stare was holding me where I stood. Everything and everyone around me felt as though it was fading away, leaving just me and him. I had no idea how long he'd been stood there, I couldn't see Emma so I guess she'd sloped off with Antti.
"Harper." James put his hand on my arm. "Are you ok? You look like you've just seen a ghost." I didn't reply as Seb nonchantly drank from his glass while still staring at me. "Harper? You alright?" James slid his hand up my arm to my shoulder regaining my attention.
"Huh?" I looked at him and then glanced back to the bar, Seb had gone. Was he even there? Had I imagined it? "Sorry James." I felt guilty.
"Are you ok? One minute you seemed ok and the next, I thought you might faint or something." He kept his hand on the top of my arm, he was genuinely concerned about me. "Shall we find a seat?" He asked.
"Actually would you mind if I left?" I suddenly didn't want to be here anymore, all I could think about was Seb and how I wanted to be with him, but couldn't. It made me feel miserable.
"Sure." James looked surprised and then a little disappointed. "I imagine you have a busy weekend coming up." He smiled, making me feel more guilty about my sudden mood change. "Is your friend still around? I don't want you walking back alone."
"I'm not sure." I slowly spun around as I looked for Emma, I couldn't see her. I knew she must have left with Antti. "I'm sure I'll be fine, Monaco is hardly a rough area is it?" I smiled at him.
"Please, let me walk with you back to your hotel?" He offered his arm to me, such a gent!
"Thanks James." I gratefully accepted it and linked my arm with his and together we left the Red Bull Energy Station behind. All the while I scanned the face of every person trying to see Seb, but he wasn't here. I must have been seeing things. Christ, I'm so obsessed with the man that it's come to this, my brain playing tricks on me, making me see him when he simply isn't there. I'm beginning to think I need help. As we headed away from the mariner we left the pumping music behind and it grew a lot quieter, I shivered as I felt the cool breeze around us.
"My parent's boat is moored on the mariner over there." He pointed to another mariner across from the one we'd left. "Would you like to come on board for a coffee?"
"Yeah, why not." He was being so sweet, I didn't see the harm in it and I wasn't sure I was ready to be left alone with just my crazy mind for company. "Your parents won't mind a visitor will they?" I didn't want to intrude, and doubted his parents would want some randomer on their boat.
"They're in Cannes tonight for a friend's party." James explained, he sounded as though they'd just popped to a neighbours house, not to another expensive area and probably a massive a mansion.
"Oh, cool." I replied and then mentally face palmed myself for my response. Who says 'Oh cool' nowadays?? We carried on walking, although I had to stop to remove my heels which James insisted on carrying, after ten minutes or so we reached a secure mariner and  James tapped a code in to a pin pad on the gate. It clicked as it unlocked and he opened it for me, letting me step through first. I'd already noticed the size of these boats as we'd approached this mariner but now my mouth fell open seeing these magnificent vessels up close as we walked. I heard James chuckle beside me and I looked at him, arching a brow.
"What?" He grinned. "I'm sorry but your reaction made me laugh!" He threw his arm casually around my shoulder and we continued walking until I saw Seb again. I'm sure it was him, or at least the back of him in front of us. I hesitated for a moment making James look at me, giving me a questioning look. The man in front turned around before boarding one of the boats, it wasn't Seb and I relaxed, letting out a breath that I hadn't noticed I'd been holding. "Are you sure your ok Harper?" James asked me.
"Yeah, I think I just need that coffee." I replied as we came to a stop.
"Well, here she is." He stopped to remove his shoes, placing mine along side his. He nodded and said hello to a man who stood at the gangway, he must be security.
"Oh my god!" I exclaimed, even though it was dark I could see this was one beautiful vessel. There must be four or five decks to her and I could see her name in silver on the back, Seven Sins.
"You like her?" James grinned and took my hand, leading me over a little gangway and on board what could only be described as pure luxury on water.
"This boat is amazing!" I looked around me at the plush leather seating around the edge and expensive looking outdoor furniture, teak deck and glass doors that led to the inside.
"Don't let my dad hear you call her a boat, she's a yacht." He chuckled beside me and I looked at him, the lights of Monaco reflecting in his eyes. "Lets get that coffee." He walked to the glass doors and pressed a button to the right hand side, they slid open and he gestured for me to step through in front of him into what looked like a hallway. He opened another door to the left and I stepped inside. My mouth fell open again as we seemed to be in a large lounge area. It absolutely screamed money, with floor to ceiling windows that would usually give expansive sea views. "Take a seat and I'll get someone to bring us some coffee." He gestured to a seating area, while smiling at my reaction, then left the room, the door clicked shut behind him. I stepped on to the plush thick carpet and spun around, my eyes drinking in everything I could see. There was one large sofa and two smaller ones, with cream leather cushions and light brown fabric backs and arms. Two large wooden coffee tables sat in the middle and two dark brown smaller chairs were at one end facing away from the window. Six mirrored pillars surrounded the area, effectively separating it off from a large round dining table that was surrounded by eight high backed chairs. Lots of little lights set in to the ceiling were dimmed, giving the room a gentle glow. I noticed there was no tv in this room but there was a media player set in to the wall and several speakers were dotted around the ceiling among the lights. The door opened and James stepped in, closing it behind him. "Still taking it all in I see." He walked up to me.
"Yeah, sorry." I blushed, he must think I'm really nosy. I sat down and he sat down next to me.
"No need to apologise. Someone will bring the coffee in a minute." He relaxed back in to the seat and I followed.
"So do you stay on this yacht very often?" I asked, I wondered he took it out to sea very much.
"Mainly at weekends if mum and dad aren't using it. Not at all during the winter months though." He replied. The door opened and man wearing a white polo shirt and navy shorts entered, bringing a tray with freshly brewed coffees, a jug of milk and sugar on it. He placed it down in front of us on one of the coffee tables and quietly left. Very posh.
"Oh my god you even have waiters!" I couldn't hide my surprise.
"Of course, the yacht is crewed all year round." He explained as though it was nothing to him, which is probably was. "So, you're off to Canada next, right?"
"I am, I'll pop home for a few days first though." I replied, I sat up and picked up the jug of milk, adding a little to my mug. I gave it a stir and then took a sip, even the coffee tasted expensive.
"And where is home?" He asked.
"A little village called Anmer, in Norfolk." I answered.
"Ah, where Kate and Wills have a place?" He seemed to know where I meant.
"That's the place."
"So, have low long you have worked for Red Bull? I don't think I saw you here last year, and I'm sure I would have remembered someone as pretty as you." He smiled, pleased with his smoothly placed compliment.
"I've only been with them about two months, my role is a new one for them. A bit of gimmicky thing." I put my mug down and sat back again.
We carried on talking for ages and it was nice to have someone different to talk to, he took my mind off of Seb for a while at least. Before I knew it was gone 2am.
"Have you seen the time?!" James chuckled as he looked at his watch, he showed me and my eyes opened wide in surprise.
"I'd best get back." I stood up.
"Stay here for the night." He said, too quickly for my liking. "There's plenty of space, you're more than welcome to use a guest cabin." He added, he must have seen my facial expression. As nice as James was, I wasn't attracted to him in that way. "I'll make sure you get back to your hotel in the morning, I can arrange a car for you or we can walk."
"Are you sure?" I have to admit I was suddenly very tired and walking back to my hotel didn't seem appealing right now.
"Very. Come." He held out a hand to me, I took it and we headed to some stairs that I hadn't noticed at the other end of the room. Once we reached the top, we'd entered in to a spacious bedroom. We walked through and he opened a door which led into a small corridor, another two doors along and he opened another door. This was another bedroom, although he called it a cabin it seemed far from it. "You can stay in here. There's an ensuite." He pointed to a door to his right. "Please, make yourself comfortable."
"Thank you James, this is beautiful." I took in the white, silver and grey decor and the beautifully made queen sized bed.
"Do you need an alarm for the morning? I can get someone to call you." He pointed to a phone on the bedside table. "We can have breakfast and then I'll get you back to your hotel if that's ok?"
"Ok, yeah that'll be good. I will have to get to the garage by 10.30am so is an 8am call ok?" Hopefully that would give me time to have breakfast and get back to shower and change.
"Of course, I'll arrange it for you. I'll leave you to it Harper." He stepped closer. "Goodnight." He leaned in kissed my cheek, then pulled away and went back to the door.
"Night James." I gave him a small smile and he left, shutting the door behind him. Realising I had nothing to sleep in, I went in to the ensuite to take off my dress. I'd have to sleep in my underwear as I didn't want to sleep naked. I spotted some Clinique cleanser and a small stack of muslin cloths so decided to run some water in to the sink and cleanse off my makeup, the bedlinen was bright white with a grey runner spread over the end and I didn't want to leave my make up all over the pillows. I left the bathroom, stripped down to my underwear and folded my dress up, leaving it draped over a chair that was in front of a large vanity mirror and dressing table. I picked up my bag and retrieved my phone from it and then I slipped in to the bed, it was so comfortable and I knew I'd hate having to get up when my alarm call came through. I unlocked my phone to see a few messages from Emma asking if I'd got back to my hotel and was I ok, followed by more worried sounding ones as I hadn't replied.

Me: Hey, I'm ok. Staying on yacht with James, ON MY OWN!! NOT WITH HIM! AM IN GUEST ROOM! DO NOT GET EXCITED!

I had to type it in caps to get through to her that I wasn't having sex with James, I didn't want her grilling me in the morning.

Emma: Ok, I get ya! See u soon chick!! X

Me: Did u see Seb, earlier? Could have sworn he was there?? X

Emma: Nope, Antti arrived tho :) U have Seb on ur brain, must be seeing things! X

As much as I was trying to convince myself it was not Seb I'd seen earlier my instincts kept telling me it was. I was about to lock my phone when I saw I still had an unread message.

Seb V 🏁: Please don't do it x

I read and then re-read the short text, my heart skipped a beat. It must have been him at the party earlier, I was now so sure of it. Had he seen me leave with James then? I looked at the received time, 22.51pm. It could have been around the time I left, I didn't check the time. I was tempted to message him back, but what would I say? He'd be asleep now anyway, like I should be. I locked my phone and left it beside me on the bedside table. I snuggled in amongst the luxurious feeling bedlinen and closed my eyes, trying hard to ignore the butterflies that had started inside me again.