- 21 -

%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%

The café phone rings early morning as I prepare some glasses at the counter. The café hasn’t opened yet and Yoongi is at the back picking up the stocks for the day.

I walk over the phone and pick it up, “Good morning, Skewer café,” I said. For a few seconds, I wait for the other line to answer but there’s no response. “Hello? This is Skewer café.” Still there is not a reply. I look at the caller ID and it’s a local line around town. “Are you calling for Yoongi sunbae? He’s busy right now, please call back later. Thank you.”

Before I put the phone down, I hear a small sigh at the other end of the line but ignore it. Maybe it’s just a prank call. So early in the morning, what’s that person thinking?

Yoongi comes in from the back and asks, “Who was it? I heard the phone ring.”

He’s the one in charge of answering the phone all the time, I only answer it when he’s not around. “No one. I heard no one on the other line, maybe it’s just prank call.”

Disregarding it, he says, “Okay. Ah, I need you to make a delivery for me.”

I crease my eyebrows replying, “But we don’t do deliveries.”

“It’s a special request from a friend. I’ll give you extra on payday.”

“Shouldn’t you go?”

“Insubordination?”

“Ah… alright. Just this once.”

“Hm.” He nods at me. “Here, take a banana milk frappe to this location. Don’t ask for any payment by the way. And be back before we open.”

He hands me an address written on a piece of paper and it’s relatively nearby, I don’t even have to take a bike with me. I can walk there and be back soon. But, banana milk frappe, something pinched my heart so early this morning. I try my best to brush it all away, I’ve been doing well these past two months, I don’t need that kind of distraction.

%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%

In five minutes, I’m knocking on the door of the office building where my delivery is supposed to be, room 1 at the sixth floor. I hear a “Come in!” from the inside so i open the door and walk in. I meet a guy in his 40s, sitting on his desk, at the middle of this mid–sized office.

I bow for respect and say, “Good morning, I’m here from Skewer café? My superior said I should deliver this banana milk frappe for someone.”

“Ah, yeah, just put it there at the table. Thank you,” the man said to me.

I only nod and put it the table nearby, aside from the table he’s using. I turn around and bow again before leaving and, at the corner of my eyes, I just then notice a guy sitting at the farthest point in the room, near the glass panels, looking out the sky. He was wearing a black hooded shirt and I couldn’t really his face. My heart sinks in a split second cuz he looks so familiar, but I disregard it as I step out of the room, forcing my heart to calm down telling myself, it can’t be him.

After you left the room, the man in his 40s told the guy in the hoodie.

“Satisfied now? Don’t make me use my connection for a banana milk frappe again. Good thing Yoongi didn’t ask why.”

“Thank you, sunbae,” the familiar voice replied as he turns around.

The guy in the hood is indeed Jungkook and he walks over the table to get his frappe with a sad smile on his face while the older man just shakes his head at him.

%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%

The phone rings a few times today with the same prank call. Yoongi wants to unplug the phone but he can’t. He can’t disconnect the official line of the café just because of a single prank call.

I happen to answer a few calls too and it’s weird that it’s the same light breathing on the other line. Until after a few hours, it finally dies down. The caller finally stops calling.

“Ugh… That was driving me crazy,” Yoongi nagged at the counter. “I’m really gonna smack that bastard whoever he is.”

“I wonder who that was. It’s the first time this happened,” I seconded him.

“Beats me.”

“I bet he’s a customer who never got satisfied with coffee.”

“He can go to hell.”

“This menu has been here for years sunbae.”

“Now you think we have to release a new menu?”

“Hm, why not? Like a new blend or something.”

“Hmm… I’ll talk to the barista to come up with something.”

“Really? I’d like a strawberry milk frappe sunbae.”

“Yah! Maybe it’s you who actually wants a new menu.”

I just giggle at him. “Or maybe a skewer special. Whatever that should be.”

He snorts at me, “Just get to work y/n.”

“Ye…”

I just want to lighten his mood. He’s always so stressed up about café matters that I want to help him wind up a bit. Whoever that caller is, wish he won’t make the same prank calls soon.

In the end, we never got to know who the prank caller is. And luckily, it never happened again.

%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%^^%

To be continued…

- nantokanarusa 19.03.22