Fifteen: Fall Apart

Kara woke again in Lena's bed, breathing in the scent of coconut and vanilla that Lena seemed to have so naturally. Kara was on her side, an arm thrown across Lena's waist, Lena's head tucked underneath her chin. Lena had one arm tucked close to her chest, the other rested across Kara's waist.

Slowly, Kara pulled away from her girlfriend, managing to untangle their mess of arms and legs without waking the sleeping beauty. She slipped on her underwear, then one of Lena's oversized tee shirts and a pair of sweatpants she'd left months ago but never bothered to take home.

Keys jangled in the front door, the lock clicked, and Kara panicked. Someone threw keys on Lena's counter and continued walking toward the bedroom. Heels clicked, the sounds echoing in Kara's ears. She glanced at Lena, who now lay on her stomach, the sheet only covering a fraction of her bare back. Before Kara could pull the sheet up, the bedroom door opened.

"Kara! What the hell?!" It was Sam. The brunette wore a pencil skirt and a blouse, her hair done up into a neat bun. She had obviously come from work to check on Lena. She glanced to Lena's unconscious, naked figure on the bed and threw her head back, groaning, "This is not what I meant when I said to just go for it!"

Kara pressed a finger to her lips, "Shh, she's sleeping, and we both know she needs to sleep."

"Not when there's a merger that's supposed to be finalized tonight, and there's a dick lawyer that's trying to stop it still!" Sam exclaimed. Kara bowed her head, a blush blanketing her face.

"Sorry," She muttered.

"Just help me get her up, please." Sam stepped toward Lena but stopped when Kara sped in front of her.

"Kara?" Lena moaned, lifting her head slightly. She sounded scared, upset.

"I'm right here, baby. Give me a second." Kara's tone was gentle. She pointed toward the living room firmly, staring Sam down. Sam replied by thrusting a harsh finger right underneath Kara's nose, before turning on her heels and making her way to the living room. She shut the door quietly but made sure to shoot Kara a dirty look before she did.

Kara climbed back into the bed, brushing a stray bit of hair out of Lena's face. Lena pushed herself up, looking at Kara's worried face sleepily.

"That was Sam, wasn't it? I should go see why she's here." Kara rolled her eyes at Lena's desperate attempt to seem put together.

"Hey, tell me what's wrong." Kara insisted, her eyebrows furrowed together.

"It was just a stupid nightmare. I'm fine." Lena replied, tugging on an old NSYNC shirt.

"Stupid nightmares are my specialty. Come here." Kara smiled, patting the bed. Lena groaned, slipping on a pair of shorts.

"It was nothing."

"Nothing, my ass." Lena pouted, placing a tiny kiss at the corner of Kara's mouth.

"It was just a dumb dream about Lex, babe, please let it go." The brunette sighed. Her hair fell into her face, shielding her from Kara's gaze.

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to. I just want to help." Kara tucked Lena's hair behind her ear, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead. Lena's mask shattered, a tear running down her cheek.

"He-he had you. I couldn't help you, and he had you, and he was going to kill you if you said you didn't love me, so I begged you to, but you just looked at me and laughed and said you had never loved me and you had thought it was so funny that I'd fallen for it. And he killed you anyways, Kara, he shot you, and you didn't love me." Lena cried, her head falling onto Kara's shoulder. Sobs shook her body, tears soaking through Kara's shirt. Kara pulled Lena in, placing Lena's legs in her lap. Lena's head was buried into the crook of Kara's neck. Kara willed herself to sit impossibly still, afraid to move with a fragile Lena in her arms.

"Sam, can you get Lena a glass of water?" Kara called. She took a deep breath and prayed she had learned to control her powers by now. Kara placed a hand on Lena's back, gently moving her hand up to run through soft hair.

Sam entered the room, a worried expression on her face. She held out a glass of water, and Kara took it with her free hand. Lena lifted her head slowly, reaching for the water. Kara placed the cup into shaky hands.

"Any better?" Kara asked. Lena took a gulp of the water and nodded, leaning her head against Kara's chest. Sam stood awkwardly in the doorway, unsure of where to go.

"I'm sorry." Lena murmured, nuzzling into Kara, taking shaky, deep breaths.

"No. You don't ever have to apologize to me. Never. Okay?" Kara asked, placing a kiss on the side of Lena's head.

"'Kay." Lena shut her eyes, snuggling close to Kara.