Twenty: Promise

A loud bang filled Lena's ears, then another, and another. Her ears were ringing, her heart was pounding, and her mind was racing. Blood was splattered everywhere, droplets covering Lena's face and clothes. Her eyes studied Kara, searching for a wound to justify the blood pooling on the ground, but she didn't find one. Lex lay face first on the concrete, blood pooling underneath his head. Lena's side was soaking wet, dripping with a warm liquid. She touched it, confused as to why the area burned. When she pulled her hand away, it was stained a bright crimson color.

"Lena, you're hurt!" Kara exclaimed. The ringing in Lena's ears faded, her body slumping against Kara's.

"Just a little." Lena managed, her hand gripping her wound. Kara crawled over to Lex, finding the keys to the kryptonite cuffs remaining on her wrists. When the silver and green metals were removed from her wrists, Kara regained a bit of color, though her wounds remained. She scrambled back just as men in black uniforms burst through the door.

"It's a through and through, Alex can fix this. You just have to stay with me, okay?" Kara announced.

"Kara," Lena called, reaching up to tuck a strand of hair behind Kara's ear. "I love you. Never forget it. If I don't make it, remember that. I need you to promise me."

"No, you're going to make it. You're going to be fine." Kara sobbed. Lena shook her head.

"It hurts, babe. I can't stay awake much longer. Promise me, please, because I can't die thinking you don't know." Lena begged.

"I promise. I love you so much, you remember that, too. Don't go towards the big white light because I'm right here and I don't know how long I can last without you." Kara's head dropped so that it rested on Lena's chest, soaking her shirt with tears.

"Supergirl, we have to take her in now," Alex called. Kara lifted her head, nodding. She placed one last kiss on Lena's lips before they took her away.

"You taste weird."

"It's called blood." Lena smiled weakly, letting out a laugh that blended into a cough.

End

Heyyyyyy......so that's the end...

Don't worry, there's a sequel. I'll post a chapter titled "Update" like I do in my other books, which will contain the title of the second book along with the long version of this note. Love you all!

-Jay

P.S. Any ideas for the sequel title??