Seventeen: Gone

It was odd for bank robbers to take hostages after dark, especially when the bank they were robbing was already closed. Still, Kara did her job. She talked to the police, snuck in the back, and managed to catch the thieves off guard enough that the civilians could break free. She was ready to fight, as always, her fists up and ready to kick some evil ass. The men were weak and poorly trained, and Kara had them cuffed and out the doors in no time.

But something was off. With each man she threw out, another returned in his place. She fought well, and she fought hard, but even the Girl of Steel had her limits. When she stopped to take a breather, the guys were quick to take their shot. This new group of men was stronger, faster. Inhumanly stronger and faster. They managed to hold her arms behind her back, taking turns at punching her in the stomach.

"Supergirl, we meet again." A familiar voice called. Kara groaned in annoyance.

"Unfortunately, Lillian. How's your son? Does he like solitary confinement?" Kara replied, earning another blow to the ribs.

"Oh, he's enjoying his newfound freedom just fine. Would you like to see him?" Lillian smirked.

"Not particularly, but those kryptonite cuffs probably mean I have no choice." Kara sighed dramatically.

"Observant girl. Hiram, cuff her. Boys, get rid of those police officers." Lillian announced, stepping forward to place a finger underneath Kara's chin. "Trust me, Kara. Observant isn't going to help where you're going."

"Oh, I'm counting on it."
- - - - - - - - - - - -
"Alex, she's still not home! Are you sure I shouldn't be worried?" Lena asked, her phone wedged between her ear and her shoulder. It was morning, and Kara was still gone, leaving Lena to stress about her sudden disappearance.

"She probably just flew into Catco or something. Or maybe she went to your apartment. I don't know, Lena, but I do know my wife is going to kill you if you don't let her sleep. Goodbye." Alex replied.

"No, no wait!" Lena groaned when Alex hung up without even a second thought. Lena was sure that if Kara had flown into Catco, she would've at least texted, and she'd been to her apartment already. Something was wrong, and Lena couldn't do anything without Alex's connections...Unless she went to the DEO her self.

"Winn, Kara's missing."
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Kara groaned when another fist connected with her cheek. She had no idea how Cadmus got kryptonite, but that didn't matter when her enemies, instead of brass knuckles, wore kryptonite on their hands. The element's very presence made Kara feel as if nails were forcing their way through her bloodstream, so the punches were painful, to say the least.

Her wrists were chained to the ceiling, kryptonite cuffs preventing her from escaping. After hours of torture, the chains were the only thing holding her up, her legs having now given up on her.

"Why are you doing this?" Kara gasped for air, blood running down her chin.

"Oh, Supergirl, we just have to rough you up a little before we can alert your precious Lena. She needs to believe we'll kill you." Lillian answered.

"You leave Lena alone! Promise me that, and I'll do whatever you need. I swear on her life!" Kara screamed.

"Dear, we know you'll work for us, and you will. But we need Lena, too. As much as I hate to admit it, she has the brains of the family. Moreso than Lex or I." Lillian sighed, circling the superhero slowly.

"I'm sure that's enough blood, mother. We don't want to traumatize her, we want to scare her." Lex announced, placing a gentle hand on his mother's shoulder. Lillian nodded curtly, waving off her henchmen. Lex handed her the camera, and the filming began.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Lena had been holed up in Kara's apartment all day, finding it was the only place she felt safe. The deafening silence filled her ears as she clutched Kara's pillow. Her waist-length, raven hair had been tied into a messy bun, her normally pale face even paler and tears stained her cheeks. Kara hadn't even been missing for a full day, and Lena was already going crazy.

The dormant television crackled to life, nearly scaring Lena out of her skin. The video quality was horrible, but Lena could make out the famous symbol on Kara's chest. Her breath caught in her throat when the image zoomed in on Kara, clearing up.

Kara's hair was encrusted in blood. There was a nasty gash across Kara's cheek, her lip was split, and crimson liquid soaked the neckline of her suit. She was gagged, her arms chained in silver metal, the cuffs glowing green around her wrists. Lena winced, holding the pillow in her arms even tighter.

"Hello, Lena. We know you're watching." A singsongy voice chimed. "If you want your precious friend back, you'll have to come and meet us. Five o'clock, the docks." Even through the distortion, Lena could recognize that voice anywhere.

Lex Luthor had her girlfriend. Her nightmares were coming true.