[ xvii ]

[ seventeen : identity ]

EVEN BRUCE COULDN'T BELIEVE HIS EYES, his jaw dropped as the test confirmed his theory. The Batman had put the blood of his newest enemy, The Red Hood and compared it to the one of his former robin. It was far fetched but he could't bring himself to believe it was him, even though the screen read 'match .'

From behind him, Alfred had dropped a silver platter, as he too had just found out the young boy he had come to love had come back to life as a heartless villain. "It can't be," huffed out the old British butler, shaking his head as he cleaned up what he had just dropped.

"We have to tell Tasi." Bruce stated, walking to the elevator, leaving Alfred behind. He entered Wayne Manor and made his way to his charging cell phone and called Anastasia's current number.

~

It was a damp night and the battle between Red Hood and Batman seemed to be growing even more intense. There was something about the anti-hero that just reminded her of a time where nothing really mattered, even though the hooded figure could easily become one of Gotham's biggest rime lords in a heartbeat.

Anastasia hair had become flattened out from the rain, drops of water were rolling down her leather jacket and the constant weather conditions in Gotham made the cemetery soil soft.

She over looked his grave, it seemed like a life time ago, she felt guilty for not going to see it sooner, there was nothing there: only the remains of a burnt out candle and dead flowers, their life drained to a crisp.

Jason Peter Todd

Son, friend and lover

To be held close in our hearts

Vines had begun to drawl up the sides of his head stone, seeing it again made her feel even more guilty and there was no filter in her brain to stop the agonizing thoughts that it was her fault that her lover had left their world.

She remembered all those times where she had left herself vulnerable to him, as she let him wipe away her hot tears but now she was left to wipe her own tears away.

The rain became heavier as her phone rang, distracting her from her buzzing thoughts, "hello?" Her body was shaking, she was soaking wet and she tried to keep her voice steady.

"Tasi, I have some bad news." It was her old mentor, she stared into Jason's grave plot, feeling numb, "you might not want to hear this..."

"What is it Bruce?" She crossed her arms, what could have been so important that he had to take her away from the time she was spending with the buried corps of her once love.

"It's Jason," Her heart started beating faster, those small gut feelings she'd been having, the small suspicions were right. "He's the Red Hood." Anastasia hung up instantly and fell to her knees.

Her phone dropped next to her, the screen cracking slightly, a harrowing scream left her body as she continuously punched the ground.

"Jason," her voice was muffled and she found herself almost pulling out her own hair. Anastasia looked up into the cloudy Gotham sky as thunder rolled across, followed by lightning.

Once the first tear broke free she couldn't stop herself, she felt her heart shatter into more pieces than it had ever been broken. Her body hurled itself forward, like a sea sick sailor trapped in an endless storm.

The rain around her began to evaporate as she heated up, even the tears streaming down her face became like lava from an active volcano.

It took her too long to calm down, her body felt weak, on the verge of unconsciousness.

How could she have not known sooner? How could she have let him run around Gotham doing things just as bad as Dent, Penguin or even The Clown Prince of Crime.

But what broke her heart even more was that he wasn't in love with her anymore, he was in love with Scarlet Scotsman.