[ xxii ]

[twenty-two: morbide nightmares]

THE MOTEL WAS not the worse place she had slept in before. The bed was lumpy, the room was always too cold and people were either screaming or having loud sex. Sometimes both.

It was never hard to find comfort in Jason. He had always been her rock, nothing had changed, even after a fake death and plenty of arguments.
What Anastasia couldn't escape, though was her dreams.

What plagued her dreams wasn't new, it was recurring, usually years apart but now they were every night. Now, though, there was always an added part.

That boy gripping onto her hand with a deadly grip.

They were in a cell, two beds, both with teddy bears on them; her's with a pink shirt and his with a blue.

The metal door trapping them in sifted open, two body guards came out followed by the same who had killed her.

The first man grabbed the boy. "Victor! Don't take him!!" She pleaded, the boy was kicking a screaming for her as well. "Don't let him take me Vee!"

Then the second man came and picked her up, she resorted to throwing a fit in his grasp, "l-let go of me! Let me go!" But her cries were useless.

Victor was long gone, into his testing room and she was taken into hers.

"No! No! Stop! No!" She yelled with a strained voice, tears flooding her checks. They strapped her into a bed.
The same guy who was going to snap her neck loomed over her with a syringe in his hands.

The syringe was filled with a blue substance. He came closer to her and she continued to resist. "Stop! Please! No!"

He slapped her across the face, "quite little girl." He ordered, placing the needle of the syringe on top of the soft skin of her left arm.

The nurse standing to the side gave her a pity full.

Without warning he slid the unknown blue substance into her veins, injecting it.

Her screams could be heard all across the facility if it wasn't for the sound proof walls.

She started twitches, her bones cracking, eyes rolling back. Her mouth began to foam and from her finger tips fire began to spark for a brief moment.

When the twitching and bone crackling stopped her eyes returned back to their amber colour. The flames on her fingers had stopped and she looked around frantically.

"Test 208, failed." He muttered to the nurse who quietly jotted something down on a clipboard.

The door opened, another man in a eggshell white doctors coat came inside.
"Subject A-27 wasn't a complete fail but he hasn't come out of shock, we don't know what the long term affects are going to be."

The man who was testing on her sighed and placed his hands on his hips, "Well it was a certain  fail for subject A-28. We know who the omega is."

She was placed in the back of a van, in closed with titanium walls and driving for what seemed to be forever.

When the van took a permit stop the back doors opened, she didn't see what she expected to see; another lab, but the shores of a  rocky beach.

She'd never seen anything out side. It was a breathtaking sight.

The wrinkled forehead, grey eyed man helped her out as they stood by the shores.

"You tried your best."  With those words he bent over and cupped her fragile face. She though he was going the kiss her forehead as a job well done but instead his antics were much more sinister.

Snap. The girl was dead, she fell to the ground lifeless.

THAT PART was always the same but more recently more hand been added, and things only got worse.

Now she was much older, she could sense it in her bones. She stood in a field with a man standing not to far from her.

She'd never seen him before outside of her dreams.

He was wearing white pants and a white shirt, the top few buttons left undone. She looked down to see herself standing in a white dress.

The wind picked up, throwing their hair back and forth as if they were trapped inside a tornado. But nothing could make them loose their eye contact.

The man stretched out his arm, offering it as his olive branch. They stood like that again. There was no sound, despite the ranging winds.

She reached her arm out too, taking a step forward. He took a step closer as well.

Another step.

Another step.

Another step.

They were only one more step away from touching and she took that last step. Their hands touched and it was anything but wonderful.

Being burned alive was the one of the most painful experience, she screamed as the field became fire and she felt her skin boil. The man smiled, the devil in disguise.

That was were Anastasia couldn't bare it anymore. Her body bolted forward, gasping for air. Her unsteady breaths brought her back to a reality where she wasn't burning. She looked at Jason and sighed.

Although something lingered, turning her vision, she saw a man sitting on the chair.