[ xxiii ]

[ twenty-three : birdies in the motel ]

JASON HADN'T woken up so quickly in ages. He heard Tasi scream and he initial reaction was to grab his gun.

He shot a single bullet at the wall right next to the shadow man's head as he pulled her close. They held the sheets closer, concealing their half naked bodies. Anastasia rushed to catch her breath as the figure stepped out of the shadows.

"Shit! Relax it's just me!" The voice was instantly recognizable and one Dick Grayson showed himself. Tasi sighed of relief for just a second until worry filled her body once again.

"What do you want, Grayson?" Jason grumbled, putting his gun down and running hand through his hair. Tasi brought her knees to her chest, looking at the man who'd be looking for them.

Dick crossed his arms, and moved closer to them. He scanned their situation and began to sway. "We're looking for a criminal. We need your help." They sat there, confused, if anything they were the criminals.
"I don't know if you've been watching the news recently, but..." Dick leaned back, "there's basically a burning man who's robbing banks."

Tasi blinked a few times, holding her hands close to her chest, thinking about her secret ability that only a few knew about. Her mind raced from one thought to another-- she thought about the boy that was featured in her recurring dream.

"Care to see the video?" Dick Grayson asked, bring out his phone. There wasn't a wait for their response. He pressed play and the couple watched in horror.

Tasi felt like she was going to faint, he look so familiar, so much like the poor boy in her dream. But was it really him? Of course, it had been over ten years since she assumed she met the boy in her dreams. Were her dreams a warning?

She looked at Jason with staggered breathing. Anastasia rubbed her forehead, trying to make sense of the situation.

"Are you okay?" Jason asked her, gently grabbing her arm. Tasi pressed her lips together, shrugging. She looked at Dick, trying to act calm.

"What do you know about him?" She questioned, hugging her legs as she brought them into her chest. Dick shook his fingers through his hair. He looked frustrated.

"We don't know anything, we put his face through facial recognition but there was no match. Bruce thinks the flames he's engulfed in distorts his features." It seemed like an impossible case but Tasi could almost hear a voice nagging in her head that she needed to find this guy-whoever he was.

Victor.

Her mind snapped and it clicked, she looked at Jason, who looked like he was trying to read her expression. Jason knew about her abilities— those similar to the burning man's. Could the man in the windstorm be Victor, the small boy with the blue shirted teddy bear? It seemed probable.

Anastasia leaned into Jason as Dick was getting impatient.

"So? Can the two of you help?" His arms were crossed over his chest and Jason's jaw clenched.

"Can you just give us a minute?" Jason persisted so the two could get out of bed and get dressed. Dick nodded and stepped out of the motel room.

Jason narrowed his eyes at Tasi. Of course, he usually wasn't bitter but with Tasi's suspicious behaviour and his knowledge of her fire wielding powers— something seemed off.

"You know something, don't you?"