Found Him Off The Streets

the gang doesn't know Tom or ever met him
(2,600+ words)

(Tord's POV)

I walk down the slick sidewalk, rain beating harshly against my umbrella. The air was so clouded with water droplets, I could barely see 6 feet in front of me. The streetlights shine dimly, a spark or flicker every now and then. I keep walking cautiously, careful not to slip, until I hear a faint sound in between the pattering of rain.

I look around, left and right, finding nothing, not even cars. It was an empty night, for no one wanted to endure the harsh weather. I shrug to myself before continuing to step down the wet path before hearing it again, louder this time. It sounded like a pained mewl, a small whimper. I stop and listen for it again.

After a moment, I hear it, but it sounds weaker and strained. I hurry closer to where I heard it and find a small man curled up at the dirty base of a building. He was getting absolutely pelted with rain, his thin t-shirt and ripped shorts completely soaked. His dusty brown hair sagged from the water, and his face was hidden in his arms. Dirt and grime caked his arms and legs, and his whining started getting weaker.

I quickly take action and hover the umbrella over him, simultaneously slipping off my jacket to give to the poor man.
"Excuse me? Are you okay?" I ask him. No response. I drape my jacket over his skinny body, grabbing his shoulder and shaking it lightly. Cold as ice and so thin I could feel his bones.

I tuck the umbrella between my shoulder and neck, carefully picking up the surprisingly light man. I hook my left arm under his neck and my right beneath his knees. I felt him weakly tug the jacket a bit tighter around himself. His arms now revealing his face. He had a bruise on his blushed cheeks, his somewhat dark skin was freezing, lips blue.

I start running back home, holding him tightly against my chest to try and warm him up. Struggling to keep the umbrella steady, I arrive at me and my roommates' front door. I kick it, neglecting the doorbell. After a moment, I hear rushed footsteps run towards the door.

"Tord! We were getting worried- it's raining really heavily and—"
"I get it, Edd! Let me in- this man needs help!" I exclaim at the cola-lover. Only just noticing the shivering man in my arms, Edd ushers me inside. I go in, dropping the umbrella and kicking off my shoes. I lay the guy on our couch, cushioning his head with the throw pillows.

"Tord, we have to change his clothes- you take those off of him, I'll get dry clothes and some blankets." Edd hurriedly says as he runs to his room. I nod and start to peel off the cold and sopping wet t-shirt. As I pull it off, I notice scars and a few fresh wounds that crisscrossed across his chest and continued on his back. Swollen, split open and glistening with dirty blood. Dried blood crumbling around the ridged wounds.

They looked as if they were made from whips. My eyes widen in disbelief. Who would do such a thing?
I discard the shirt on our stained carpet, and I start to pull off his shorts. (he doesn't feel weird about this because he's too busy worrying about the dude)

Edd comes back, running in with a heap of clothing, towels, and blankets in his arms.
"Here, let me go run the towels under some warm water." He says as he dumps the clothes, some of the towels, and the blankets at the end of the couch. He leaves with the other towels. I take some towels and dry up the man's body. A moment later, Edd comes back with the towels, a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and some gauze. He starts to rub off the dirt with a warm towel, pouring the alcohol on his wounds and using a different towel to clean those.

"Flip him over," I do as he says and flip the small guy over onto his chest, revealing the other wounds. Edd cleans those too and gets to work on wrapping the bandages around him. After tightly wrapping the gauze, checking the guy over for any other wounds, we slip the clean and dry clothing on him. Draping a few blankets on top of him, Edd and I both let out a sigh of relief. His body isn't as freezing as before, and his lips aren't blue anymore.