Friends and Foes

"Anada?" Elias asked bewildered.

"How did you get here?" I said. I think we both had the same surprised expression on our faces.

"I have a driver's license. I drove here. How did you get here?" He asked bewildered.

What am I supposed to say? I don't want to lie to him more than I have already. Elias was my friend and nobody should lie to their friend.

"I came with Alex and the team." I answered.

"Huh? Why?" Elias asked.

I sighed, "It's a very long story. I have to pick some things up for Reina. Walk with me while I get them, and I'll tell you why." I wasn't going to lie about having real parents. I was going to tell him about everything since there would be no other reasonable explanation to give him. I wouldn't lie about it anything this time. Well, except for my shifting secret though.

I told him about how I had been staying in the woods, and that Alex had invited me to join them. I also told him that I had run away from the orphanage I was from. That was the only thing that I didn't truthfully say. I couldn't say that I had drowned in the ocean a year ago and turned into a dragon.

I glanced at him a few times while I told him my story. He didn't seem mad. Deep inside me I had always known that if I continued to be friends with him I would have to tell him the truth. I don't know if I could ever tell anyone about me being a shapeshifter though.

"That's how I got here. The team had a mission here, and I came along with them. I'm sorry I lied to you. I understand if you don't want to be my friend anymore." I said guiltily.

What if he never wants to see me again?

I looked at him and watched that familiar smile grow on his face. I stood there holding my groceries wondering why he was smiling.

"I understand why you didn't tell anyone, and I'll always be your friend. No matter what." He said to me.

Would he be my friend if he knew what I was?

"I'm glad your safe though." He continued.

I smiled back at him. Then I remembered Reina wanted me to meet her at the checkout counter.

"Oh no! Reina wanted me to met her at the front of store. I've been in here a long time. She's probably wondering where I'm at. Come on." I said.

We quickly went to find her. She was sitting on a bench with a basket full of groceries.

When she saw who was with me she said surprised, "Now I know what took you so long." I laughed at her reaction.

Reina bought the groceries and then all we went outside to the parking lot.

"So how did you get here, Elias?" Reina asked him.

"Well, I haven't been to the mountains in a long time. So since I got my license I drove up here. I just got here yesterday and I had planned on staying a whole week." Elias replied.

"Where are you staying?" I asked curious.

He pointed to a small motel down the road. A Toyota Camry was parked in its parking lot.

"How about you come over to our place tonight. Maybe we could go out and eat." Reina mentioned.

"Sounds good. I need to go drop my grocery off at my room first though." He said.